The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 12-02-2015, 07:50 AM

Smile Miniflex mic model 3 with K&K pure mini classical

Hi Guys, I am exploring the option of mixing K&K pure mini and miniflex mic 3 pickups - would love to hear from anyone who has done this. Also which dual channel preamp would be best for this - Ultrasound DI plus, DTAR solistice, K&K quantum or EDB2? Or any other in a similar price range?

Last edited by Josie; 12-02-2015 at 08:50 AM. Reason: Needed to add more details
Old 12-04-2015, 04:12 PM
Charter Member

Hi Josie... and welcome to the AGF! Apparently, no one as yet has tried to set up this dual source system. I have used a Miniflex mic (internal mount) and wired it in stereo with another pickup source at one time ( I think it was a soundboard transducer.. Fishman SBT... I believe). I used my Roland AC100 acoustic amp for the separate inputs....then out to the house pa system. It worked okay wired in stereo on my steel string guitars.. but I do prefer the majority of tone to come from the internal mic.

6 string... Taylor GS7 Custom / GO 818e 1st Edition

12 string... Taylor GO 358e / Guild F512 (79)

Baritone…. Guild 258e (8 string)
Old 12-05-2015, 11:14 AM

Hi Josie,

I haven't tried blending the MiniFlex2Mic with the MiniPure, but I tend to think that the MiniFlex will blend better with a pickup type which produces a more dry and string-oriented sound, like an undersaddle pickup or a mag pickup. I say this because the MiniFlex2Mic has a bit of that in-the-cave sound no matter how well you EQ it. My thinking is that a dry sounding pickup will do a better job of compensating for that in-the-cave sound. (All of the soundboard pickups which I've tried, including the Pure Mini, have also had a bit of that in-the-cave sound.)

I'm currently blending the MiniFlex2Mic with a Pick-up The World I/O undersaddle pickup. I like the results well enough to record directly off the rig. The guitar accompaniment for this short little song was recorded that way.
https://www.reverbnation.com/garyhal...oo-cool-for-la

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification