The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 09-23-2016, 11:34 AM
Charter Member

I'm not sure if it was ever listed in the thread, but what kind of spruce was used for the top?
Old 09-23-2016, 02:34 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by justonwo View Post
I'm not sure if it was ever listed in the thread, but what kind of spruce was used for the top?
German spruce
Old 09-23-2016, 03:05 PM

What a beauty Jason! Will you two bring it at SBAIC?
Old 09-24-2016, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus Wong View Post
Woah!! Congratulations Michael! What a beauty!!
Marcus, good to hear from you! It is indeed!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikie View Post
The final instrument looks fantastic and classy!

Congratulations to you Jason and to the new owner, you will have two amazing guitars.

is it possible to have the first impressions you have Jason. This smaller size Md looks really nice in your hands but, how it sounds compared to the Md or the maple SJ you build.

Jason, do you think that can be a new permanent model or still needs more development.
Thanks for your comments! I'll share my first thoughts with you in just a little bit!(Hint: It's incredible!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by justonwo View Post
Yes, we want to hear what it sounds like!

Jason, the aesthetics are wonderful. The black neck contrasting with the maple is quite striking.
It sounds wonderful! It really does!

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthewpartrick View Post
That thing looks absolutely SICK! I really like the slightly decreased proportions and the 12 fret neck.

Unfortunately the LeGeyt won't be ready for SB but perhaps Memphis '17. That neck is for a guitar that will be in SB I believe, however.
That thing *IS* absolutely sick!

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbenbenben View Post
What a beauty Jason! Will you two bring it at SBAIC?
You know it!

Ok... so I'm writing this from Kostal guitars HQ here in Phoenix Arizona! It's a beautiful sunny day and I'm staving off the worst of my jet lag by playing this superb instrument! As I get to know this literally thrilling guitar better I will share my initial impressions with you but first...

Like all Kostal guitars #99 has had a photoshoot with the superbly talented Ryan Nelson, one of the best North American guitar photographers out there! here's the man at work.

And here are the results!

Thank you Jason. Thank you very much.
Luthier Stories
YouTube
iTunes
Instagram

Guitars by Jason Kostal, Strings by Elixir, Gefell Mics and a nail buffer.
Old 09-24-2016, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Watts View Post
Like all Kostal guitars #99 has had a photoshoot
This might be the prettiest of all Jason's guitars? The black neck and maple lend a real Art Deco feel that is extremely alluring. Lovely. Real class.

And it's #99. What has Jason got in store for no. #100? Surely that must be something very special, especially as he's come so very far in those first 100 guitars?

Cheers,
Steve
Old 10-03-2016, 04:49 PM
Charter Member

I played this guitar pretty extensively at SBAIC. I met the super cool owner, who was kind enough to allow me to use fingerpicks, even though I think I saw him throw up a little when he saw them on my fingers. I promise I never touched the top, Michael!

Ok, so I love the Kostal MD. It's a big guitar with a big personality, and it's hard not to be drawn to its power and tone. BUT I love the MDW more. To my ears, it has a great volume boost and sharper attack in the treble and mids as compared to the MD. In that regard, it really seems to cut and project in a way that is tremendously satisfying. It has enough satisfying cello-bass from the MD design, but it behaves more like an OM or 00 in the rest of the spectrum. Notes have a bit more bite and bloom in the those higher registers, with just a bit more sustain and overtone content (to my ears, anyway) than an MD.

Of course, this guitar stands unique among that huge array of guitars on Jason's table in that it has maple back and sides. But my sense is that the design of the guitar really contributes more to the attributes I heard than the maple back and sides. The guitar was brighter and, to my ears, punchier and more projecting than the other Kostals on the table. It was truly my favorite of the Kostals at the show. SBAIC represented a hugely unique opportunity to basically play one of every flavor. I can tell you that, for me, the MDW really stands out in the pack. And that's a pretty impressive pack of guitars.

I believe Michael asked for a marriage of a very old Martin and Jason's modern design. I could hear that marriage in a very tangible way. Maybe that's why I liked the guitar so much. I'm very accustomed to the vintage Martin-ish sound. This guitar certainly sounded like the child of a more traditional Kostal sound and a vintage Martin. Much like Ralphie in A Christmas Story, Jason gets an A++++++.

Thanks, Jason and Micheal, for letting me play it!

Last edited by justonwo; 10-03-2016 at 05:58 PM.
Old 10-03-2016, 06:22 PM

It was surreal when Michael nudged it toward me and said, "Please, play it!" And I loved every second of it.

I won't describe what I heard, because frankly I don't trust it. I had a difficult time really hearing any nuances in the room. But it felt fantastic. I love the way the waist and lower bout of a dread fit me, and the MDW had that going on in a bit smaller package that made it feel even better.

At one point I looked up at Michael and said, "You know, for everything they say on the forum, the neck doesn't feel that big to me." Then he laughed and said it's quite a bit different than "32."

It's an absolutely beautiful instrument.
Old 10-09-2016, 04:08 PM

What a beautiful guitar. Congrats, Michael!

I must say I like the dark/light contrast a lot more than I thought I would. The headstock is stunning -- and I love the back shot with the dark neck as well.

Perhaps the best looking Kostal to date?

In any case, I'm looking forward to your next video.
Old 11-12-2016, 01:29 PM

Right... where were we?

Gentlemen I am so sorry, it's been a manic month or so and I've only now been able to get the time for a proper update. My apologies, I hate leaving you hanging.

So... the last you'd heard from me I think Jason and I were about to go on a road trip through to Santa Barbara for the celebration of acoustic instruments.That was an unforgettable journey through the desert. The landscape there is really quite something.

Back to the show itself where the MDW had it's first outing in a featured concert indoors. The set up of a lone SM58 (and pickup) at the body join was less than ideal but the guitar still sounded (and felt) great. It was reassuring to know that even in suboptimal conditions the guitar responded beautifully.

As the demo concerts were unamplified and outside it became apparent that a little bit of backline would be a good idea. A quick chat with the legend that is Gerry Humphries resulted in a stunning walnut Espresso combo and a gorgeous amplified tone. The pickup as always is a K+K PWM.

I had a chance to have hang out with the frankly astonishing Michael Chapdelaine and his new Michaud Made OM-R (following our duet for Michaud Made guitars) and the two instruments sounded beautiful together. I hope we'll get the chance to play together again in the not too distant future...

With the Santa Barbara achievement unlocked it was time to get back to Europe for Berlin's Holy Grail Guitar Show!

In stark contrast to the massive selection of instruments he exhibited at the SBAIC, Jason chose to only exhibit the MDW in Berlin. It's hiding at the back here...

The Holy Grail show has now officially set the standard for how a guitar show should be in my opinion. It reminds me a great deal of the late lamented Montreal Guitar Show. If you're in Europe, in fact, even if you're not, and you want to see how it should be done then get to Berlin in 2018. It's that simple.

In a beautiful stroke of luck the MDW got to meet one of its predecessors in Berlin. An 1800's Stauffer in Maple

Whilst in Berlin I recorded this interview with Jason about the guitar which I suspect many of you may have already seen...

For those that haven't, here it is

In the next post, which is coming in literally minutes, there will be more photography and a demo video.
Luthier Stories
YouTube
iTunes
Instagram

Last edited by Michael Watts; 11-12-2016 at 01:45 PM.
Old 11-12-2016, 01:36 PM
FKA matthewpartrick :)

As always an excellent review that makes me want to concomitantly drive through Arizona while hanging with a cool Brit and a Special Forces agent with a couple of high value guitars on the way to the airport to Berlin.

Mission Impossible: Watts vs. Kostal.
Old 11-12-2016, 01:36 PM

I won't say anything more for the time being. I'll let the pics speak for themselves.

and here it is in action

Luthier Stories
YouTube
iTunes
Instagram

Old 11-14-2016, 08:08 PM

Thanks Michael for the photo update and the video recording. Exquisite playing as always!

It seems that the 12 fret design (on top of other variables like tone wood and body design) really made an impact on the tone. I don't have the privilege of owning or playing Jason's guitars, but have listen repeatedly to the MDW and compare with your previous recordings (with a few Kostals). Can't help noticing a more played-in, "mature", rounded, yet richly and subtly complex sound in the MDW. All and all a very "pretty" and mellow sound that doesn't "bark" (or even "shriek") like some guitars with brighter voicing when new.

When you have the time please further share with us your takes as the player from the perspectives of playability and the tone. Thanks again!

Pip
Old 11-16-2016, 07:40 AM

Hi Pip,

You're absolutely right, the 12-fret design adds a great deal to the timbre of this instrument (with the bridge in the sweet spot of the lower bout), as does the shorter scale length. It is a rich sound, although it's not designed to be a bluegrass cannon the MDW has plenty of headroom and poke, with the immediacy of response that comes from a smaller body. There's also the added range that the maple back and sides give me and a resulting sense of "options" when it comes to nuance and inflection when playing. It challenges me to be a better player.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Luthier Stories
YouTube
iTunes
Instagram

Old 11-16-2016, 11:33 AM
FKA matthewpartrick :)

Michael, what would you call that, a mix of birds eye and quilted maple?
Old 11-16-2016, 11:36 AM

Yes indeed, that's quilted Birdseye maple... the thinking being that quilted maple is relatively soft, Birdseye maple is often very hard so having a set with both qualities would even things out... either way it does look amazing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Luthier Stories
YouTube
iTunes
Instagram

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop