The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Closed Thread

Old 09-18-2016, 05:09 PM
AGF Sponsor

I am having a good time making the pages for my sale, but over this week end I have looked agfter the work itself a bit, and finally completed the JZ-16 I made for the show. All that was missing was the pick guard and the pick up it holds, as well as the truss rod cover, so it was just a half day. The pick up is a Bartolini, and the PG and truss rod cover are Snakewood to match the bridge, binding, and a few other choice bits.

I thought I'd take some pictures using the same style as I am for the sale. Here they are:

Old 09-19-2016, 04:27 PM

Default last guitar shown

For what it's worth,I don't care for that guitar {LOOKS} at all. But I'm not in the market at present.I feel like the boy in the crowd who yells out "The King Has No Clothes on" Tom Martin

Last edited by frquent flyer; 09-21-2016 at 09:17 PM.
Old 09-19-2016, 08:27 PM

And here I think it looks gorgeous. I never noticed that the little triangles in the f holes line up with the bridge before. Photographs nice against the wall.
Old 09-19-2016, 09:31 PM
AGF Sponsor

In the violin world the little triangles are notches, and they indicate the intended location of the bridge. On this guitar I couldn't use notches because of the short grain weakness they'd create, so instead I have inlaid pieces of ebony.

This guitar probably isn't your cup of tea, Tom, but for others it probably looks delicious. I do wear a variety of hats! Although it does have a pick up, it is a formidable acoustic guitar.
Old 09-19-2016, 09:48 PM
Charter Member

The carved cherrry back on this one is a real thing of beauty - and I think that as the color of the cherry richens over time, its going to get more and more beautiful. This is a really amazing combination of somewhat uncommon design and a great use of domestic hardwoods - the hand of a master builder is very evident if you take a few minutes to play and listen to it - not everyones cup of tea aesthetically maybe, but anyone who appreciates very fine luthiery can't not be impressed.
Old 09-20-2016, 05:11 AM

Default Maylasion blackwood FT 15

Concerning the Maylaysion blackwood guitar I was that guitar's second owner after Diamond Dave > It is quite a nice guitar and a good example of Bruce's artistry.Surely it can be had for a reasonable price or should I say "you can get it for a "SONG". Tom Martin Three cheers for Bruce and his wonderful work.By the way ,I should add, that I am the owner of two new sexauer guitars and very happy with both guitars. Tom Martin

Last edited by frquent flyer; 09-21-2016 at 05:43 AM.
Old 09-20-2016, 06:52 PM
AGF Sponsor

Today I took a few pictures of the Flamenco Mulatta I will show at SBAIC. I haven't yet cleaned it up or restrung it, as I plan to, and I had better as I have put in quite a few hours playing on it. As any of my followers, fans and critics alike, are surely aware, I tend to like everything I make, Yhis makes it hard for me to express what I am experiencing with both my recently completed "flamenco" guitars. I have never been captivated by the mystique of the nylon string,. . . till now. My feeling is that any steel string player who picked up one of these guitars for long enough to connect would be unable to put it down. I'd love that to turn out to be true, as I am longing to make more like these.

This guitar weighs 2.7 pounds and is so easy to get great sound out of it scares me. You will not likely understand if you strum it as you walk past my table, so if you're hearing me at all, please take a little time with it when you get to Santa Barbara.

Old 09-21-2016, 05:15 PM
AGF Sponsor

At this point I have posted relatively extensive and unprecedented documentation of 8 of the 10 guitars I am offering in my sale. These little photo/journal essays are int the similar threads I am running both here in the "MarketPlace" and in UMGF in the "Buy and Sell" sub-forum. If you like my stuff and aren't reading these you are leaving a void in your life.

Today i wrote about my Schoenberg Prototype and a bit about the relationships that created it.

Here are the first two of a dozen pictures:
Old 09-22-2016, 06:04 PM
AGF Sponsor

Default All 10 guitars documented in the MarketPlace!

Today I post the final two (Berf's "Little Wonder" and the All-Walnut) guitars in my sale promotion in the MarketPlace as well as the Buy and Sell operated by the Other Guys. I does look like I will have a lighter load on my trip to Santa Barbara that I was prepared for, as both the "Little Wonder" and the "Satriani" have firm commitments waiting for the sale to arrive in just a few more hours. I also have a local player of great respect (mine at the least) who played the D'Grass guitar at a recent bluegrass festival and find the sale price to have brought it within range. No commitment yet, however, so it is still technically available, and I WONT tell him who ruined his weekend if you beat him to the punch.

I have started the process of cleaning up and restringing the 14 guitars that are making the journey to Santa Barbara (or somewhere). Today I did the Walnut, the Brazilian Classical that is neither in the sale nor on my table but just seems like something someone ought to try.
Old 09-23-2016, 03:12 PM
AGF Sponsor

Today is the first day of the sale. The All-Walnut and the FT-00-JB-WRX have committed buyers, and the Satriani and D'Grail have probable buyers IMO. That leaves only six to bring to Santa Barbara with five and a half days more till I leave for the show. Any one of the remaining guitars could be the center piece of anyone's stable, and let me remind you that I am selling everyone of these for less than it cost me, so you aren't likely to see this kind of deal again until the sale is being run by my descendants. No time soon if I have anything to say about it.

No one has asked my why I am doing this possibly I'll advised sale, but I want to tell you anyway. I actually have nowhere in my shop,to store any more guitars, which means I cannot do spec builds until I clear some space. I consider my work a decent long term investment, and by that I mean a reasonable place to park capital, not necessarily a high yield vehicle, although that too has been known to happen with some builders work, but relatively safe none the less. I have put my money where my mouth is and storage has become an issue.

When my daughter moved out a few months ago I had my eye on her bedroom, but my wife controls the domicile, and I have been set straight, it is now her yoga room.

Last edited by Bruce Sexauer; 09-25-2016 at 08:00 PM.
Old 09-23-2016, 06:22 PM
Charter Member

I am definitely gonna miss playing the walnut next time I visit - and it sounds like a couple other of my favs are gone be missing too - Oh well, how do they put it - If you like it you shoulda put a ring on it - something like that -

But I know there will still be some great ones on the Sexauer table - and with all those cases out of the shop, I know there will be something special on the workbench shortly!
Old 09-23-2016, 06:55 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by tadol View Post
I am definitely gonna miss playing the walnut next time I visit - and it sounds like a couple other of my favs are gone be missing too - Oh well, how do they put it - If you like it you shoulda put a ring on it - something like that -

But I know there will still be some great ones on the Sexauer table - and with all those cases out of the shop, I know there will be something special on the workbench shortly!
I imagine you're down in Santa Cruz, Tad, partying with Richard Hoover and SCGC boys. Give my regards to the Big Time and tell them Happy 40th, please.
Old 09-23-2016, 07:23 PM
Charter Member

Bingo! This weekend Santa Cruz, next Santa Barbara - can't hardly contain myself!
Old 09-28-2016, 10:14 AM
AGF Sponsor

I am packed and will leave for SBAIC in a couple of hours. Like I do far most shows, I am bringing way too many guitars. I will have 7 on my table and another 6 in my hotel. The table guitars will be the Pear 0, BRW mini-D, Cherry JZ-16, and then a little non-display rack on the end of the table with all three of my recent nylon strung guitars in it as well as my personal JZ-16.

The hotel guitars will be the remaining six "SALE!!!" Guitars. I plan to give private audience by appointment in the evenings after the show if anyone wants to try them. Sign up will be at my table in the show.

See you there!
Old 09-28-2016, 10:48 AM

Good luck at the show Bruce!! Wish I could be there.
Closed Thread

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop