The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 09-23-2016, 11:19 AM

Hi Kabeer and other friends,
I actually cut the bracing on my laser, and (as you rightly understood) the entire aim was to reduce the mass of the soundboard. That has always been my guiding principle when making decisions about bracing the soundboard (back bracing is a different kettle of fish altogether!). At any rate, the bracing stock is laser-cut, final sculpted by hand, and then glued in place. There are many philosophies about bracing, of course, and tap “tuning” is certainly a viable one. But it is too subjective for my blood, and it is also at the mercy of other factors that are in flux as the guitar is built (the RH% can change the tap tone, installing the purfling and binding can change it, applying the finish can change it and the installation of the bridge can, as well) So, early in my career I abandoned it as too tenuous for what I wanted to achieve, kind of a sonic moving target. There are certainly great builders who have adopted tap tuning with great success, and that is one of the fun things about luthierie—there are myriad ways to go about this thing!

Well, building this guitar for Josh was an adventure, and a rewarding one! Doing the “moonburst” soundboard finish (and I trust you will indulge me coining the term) was a challenge for me. I had never done any kind of burst effect on a guitar, and this presented special hurdles because I wanted the grain to show through while still achieving the requisite darkness. I think a pro would have found this easy enough, but I had to learn everything on the fly. At least I had a good partner on the project in Josh! His enthusiasm carried the day! There were lots of little setbacks (and re- and re-sprayings!) but when we finally got there we were both over the moon about it.

There was even one moment when I was about to give up, but tried a last minute, last-ditch technique with my airbrush, and then I was pretty sure I had it! Four different dyes, 5 formulas/mix ratios, 7 different spray patterns, and one exhausted luthier later I sent the images to Josh for approval. And, let me tell you, Josh is particular! So I held my breath and hit “send”. Well, Josh loved it, and we were in business. All that I had to do at that point was achieve it on the actual guitar, and not a test panel. And I wanted to do it before I forgot how! (I kid—everything is written down!) Now I want to do another one! It is sort of the story of my shop written small—never a straight line to where I am going, always detours and side roads leading nowhere, false starts and lots of moments when I say, “Well, NOW what do I do?” All the things that don't make it to the front page of my website! But here I can pull back the curtain a little and show you “a day in the life…”

But all these aesthetics are secondary to the tone, of course. And, once again, western red cedar reminds me why I love it! I don't really need the reminding, but the cedar insists on it anyway. It insists on getting my attention and stirring my blood with its siren tone… dark, rich, complex but still an iridescent sparkle on the top. A lot like redwood that way. It probably breaks some unwritten etiquette to say I love the sound of an instrument I just built, but I do say it! Why else would we luthiers keep at this insane craft if not for the thrill of hunting this elusive quarry?

At the end of the day, though, one of the most enjoyable things of all was to collaborate with a guitar aficionado as passionate and knowledgeable as Josh Isaacs. He was the perfect foil to my maverick tendencies. He knew pretty much exactly the look he had in mind, but just when I wanted some creative freedom in something, he was one step ahead of me and granted it before I asked!

Josh, thanks for the opportunity to build this thing for you! And I have not forgotten that other little “project” we talked about. A mere trifle, really!
Old 09-24-2016, 07:31 PM

I'm not usually a burst fan, but this is awesome. Might be that my MGC needs a Paradiso to keep it company.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 09-25-2016, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Ryan View Post
[snip]
Hi Kevin,
Thank you for taking the time to reply here. I admire your beautiful guitar craftsmanship
Old 09-25-2016, 03:37 PM

Thanks, Bob and Kabeer! Very kind of you both. And Bob, thanks for having one of my guitars. I really appreciate it.
Old 09-25-2016, 03:47 PM
FKA matthewpartrick :)

I've been talking to Josh a few times over the past few weeks, and I can say he is over the moon happy with his guitar Kevin. You've made a guy's dream guitar.
Old 10-25-2016, 08:09 PM
Charter Member

Default Long Overdue...Stevie Coyle plays the Moonburst

Old 10-25-2016, 08:24 PM
Charter Member

Sounds awesome....!!! Heavy duty sweetness🎯
Old 10-26-2016, 08:38 AM

been looking forward to this!!! And, I'm not disappointed! Congrats on a special guitar that offers all the goods.......just beautiful, Josh.
2014 Doerr Legacy
2013 Bamburg FSC-
2002 Flammang 000 12 fret
2000 McCollum Grand Auditorium

Old 10-26-2016, 01:18 PM

Sounds great!!!!!!!!! I am kicking myself now for not taking a Ryan into the quiet rooms at Woodstock to at least experience one.....I have to say, I was a little too intimidated I guess.
Old 10-27-2016, 12:18 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diamondave View Post
Sounds awesome....!!! Heavy duty sweetness��
Thanks dude! I've taken to tuning down a half step and it gives it this wonderfully dark, lush tone. At standard though, sweetness is a great word.

Quote:
Originally Posted by islandguitar View Post
been looking forward to this!!! And, I'm not disappointed! Congrats on a special guitar that offers all the goods.......just beautiful, Josh.
Thank you, Fred!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomB'sox View Post
Sounds great!!!!!!!!! I am kicking myself now for not taking a Ryan into the quiet rooms at Woodstock to at least experience one.....I have to say, I was a little too intimidated I guess.
Oh dude, Kevin is the man and you should ABSOLUTELY take one in a private room next festival you go to. Ryan's are all wonderful and occasionally, like it happens with every builder, one of them just goes beyond. I think I got one of those magic ones.
Old 10-28-2016, 10:23 AM

A very entertaining thread to go through, start to the amazing finish. The work shown here is the best I've seen, that sound is mesmerizing through my speakers- in person it's got to be melting.
Thanks for sharing
Old 11-02-2016, 12:04 AM
Charter Member

Default Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 383roller View Post
A very entertaining thread to go through, start to the amazing finish. The work shown here is the best I've seen, that sound is mesmerizing through my speakers- in person it's got to be melting.
Thanks for sharing
i appreciate it! This guitar is quite something in person...it surrounds you. If you (or anyone) are in the Bay Area I'd be happy to bring it in to Mighty Fine Guitars.
Old 11-02-2016, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Ryan View Post
I actually cut the bracing on my laser, and (as you rightly understood) the entire aim was to reduce the mass of the soundboard. That has always been my guiding principle when making decisions about bracing the soundboard (back bracing is a different kettle of fish altogether!). At any rate, the bracing stock is laser-cut, final sculpted by hand, and then glued in place. There are many philosophies about bracing, of course, and tap “tuning” is certainly a viable one. But it is too subjective for my blood, and it is also at the mercy of other factors that are in flux as the guitar is built (the RH% can change the tap tone, installing the purfling and binding can change it, applying the finish can change it and the installation of the bridge can, as well) So, early in my career I abandoned it as too tenuous for what I wanted to achieve, kind of a sonic moving target. There are certainly great builders who have adopted tap tuning with great success, and that is one of the fun things about luthierie—there are myriad ways to go about this thing!

Well, building this guitar for Josh was an adventure, and a rewarding one! Doing the “moonburst” soundboard finish (and I trust you will indulge me coining the term) was a challenge for me. I had never done any kind of burst effect on a guitar, and this presented special hurdles because I wanted the grain to show through while still achieving the requisite darkness. I think a pro would have found this easy enough, but I had to learn everything on the fly. At least I had a good partner on the project in Josh! His enthusiasm carried the day! There were lots of little setbacks (and re- and re-sprayings!) but when we finally got there we were both over the moon about it.

There was even one moment when I was about to give up, but tried a last minute, last-ditch technique with my airbrush, and then I was pretty sure I had it! Four different dyes, 5 formulas/mix ratios, 7 different spray patterns, and one exhausted luthier later I sent the images to Josh for approval. And, let me tell you, Josh is particular! So I held my breath and hit “send”. Well, Josh loved it, and we were in business. All that I had to do at that point was achieve it on the actual guitar, and not a test panel. And I wanted to do it before I forgot how! (I kid—everything is written down!) Now I want to do another one! It is sort of the story of my shop written small—never a straight line to where I am going, always detours and side roads leading nowhere, false starts and lots of moments when I say, “Well, NOW what do I do?” All the things that don't make it to the front page of my website! But here I can pull back the curtain a little and show you “a day in the life…”

But all these aesthetics are secondary to the tone, of course. And, once again, western red cedar reminds me why I love it! I don't really need the reminding, but the cedar insists on it anyway. It insists on getting my attention and stirring my blood with its siren tone… dark, rich, complex but still an iridescent sparkle on the top. A lot like redwood that way. It probably breaks some unwritten etiquette to say I love the sound of an instrument I just built, but I do say it! Why else would we luthiers keep at this insane craft if not for the thrill of hunting this elusive quarry?

At the end of the day, though, one of the most enjoyable things of all was to collaborate with a guitar aficionado as passionate and knowledgeable as Josh Isaacs. He was the perfect foil to my maverick tendencies. He knew pretty much exactly the look he had in mind, but just when I wanted some creative freedom in something, he was one step ahead of me and granted it before I asked!

Josh, thanks for the opportunity to build this thing for you! And I have not forgotten that other little “project” we talked about. A mere trifle, really!
Kevin, great seeing you here posting, and great to have met you at Woodstock!

Josh, I did mention your guitar to Kevin and he was very excited to talk about it. Kevin is one great approachable guy, and I enjoyed every minute talking with him, and his passion really comes through in his guitars. Wish you both best of luck!
Old 11-03-2016, 11:50 PM
Charter Member

Default That's awesome!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouieAtienza View Post
Kevin, great seeing you here posting, and great to have met you at Woodstock!

Josh, I did mention your guitar to Kevin and he was very excited to talk about it. Kevin is one great approachable guy, and I enjoyed every minute talking with him, and his passion really comes through in his guitars. Wish you both best of luck!
Kevin really is a great dude. What'd he say about my guitar?
Old 11-04-2016, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJI View Post
Kevin really is a great dude. What'd he say about my guitar?
That you should really consider giving it to that Louie guy, because he's so great!

Just discussing the challenges he faced doing that "moonburst", and that he actually may be doing another finish similar to yours... Other than that, I just mentioned that it was cool to see a build thread of his on the AGF, and talking in general of his building philosophies. For a man with some pretty unique design features, he's very open about many of his techniques and ideas, which I find among most all builders in this community. Really cool...

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop