The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 09-23-2016, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue View Post
No. They aren't. They are taller than "real" jazzmaster pickups, but they don't have the massive magnets. So no. Not at all.
Like the P90, J Mascis pickups use bar magnets, which is why most knowledgeable guitarists consider them roughly equal in sound and output to the P90.

All other Jazzmaster pickups use magnetized pole pieces, whether traditional wide shallow bobbin or tall narrow bobbin.
Old 09-23-2016, 11:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jomaynor View Post
Like the P90, J Mascis pickups use bar magnets, which is why most knowledgeable guitarists consider them roughly equal in sound and output to the P90.

All other Jazzmaster pickups use magnetized pole pieces, whether traditional wide shallow bobbin or tall narrow bobbin.
I replaced the pickups in more than one Japanese Fender Jazzmaster including Mascis models. They did not have bar magnets. They were slightly taller, though still shorter than a strat. But no bar. Surf and offsets used to be my world.
Old 09-23-2016, 11:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jomaynor View Post

I just did a fast check online. It seems the Squier mascis does indeed have a P90-ish pickup. I was referring the Japanese Fender guitar. I found a pic of the pickups online alongside a duncan jazzy (duncan obviously on the right.

As I remembered they are not as tall as a strat pickup

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 09-24-2016, 12:53 AM

Quote:
I replaced the pickups in more than one Japanese Fender Jazzmaster including Mascis models. They did not have bar magnets. They were slightly taller, though still shorter than a strat. But no bar. Surf and offsets used to be my world.
Did you just swop the PUPs on the Mascis JM, or did change the electronics and other parts? (like I've read some do). A rather daunting task after buying a spanking new guitar I think..

The Jazzmaster (alongside the Stratocaster) really seems to hit home with players of all sorts of styles due to that comfortable Fender action and versabilty in sound. I was hoping to discover other options with less common bodyshapes.

If I where to choose something, this Fano Alt De Facto PX6, looks just killer.. (forget the stupid relic ;-). Now something like that would be real nice and also keeping both kidneys...
Old 09-24-2016, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northward View Post
Did you just swop the PUPs on the Mascis JM, or did change the electronics and other parts? (like I've read some do). A rather daunting task after buying a spanking new guitar I think.
Rewire job all around, but other than the pickups, it's all cheap stuff. But I'm talking Japanese Fender, not the squier. It was the "poor man's" entree to the offsets for a lot of Surf guys. At the time (early to mid 2000s) you could find them for about $700 to $800, and a used AVRI was north of $1,100 usually.

The "to do" list was big, and some things weren't addressable, like the Basswood body. Even the trem required work and you would need to swap out the spring in order to use 12s. And it was still "Barney on Acid" purple even after all the work

That's why I said it's fine guitar as is. Great playability, a tone closer to the jazzy than the strat. Not that we cared as we were playing them through dripping wet reverb units. I could make a tele sound right with a reverb unit and a bandmaster or showman . It really is a nice guitar. But trying to bring it up to USA specs simply isn't worth it IMO. But that's only my O...

I think they look cool. But the Surf world is probably the most conservative thing going in terms of gear judgement. And since 70% of the folks who actively seek out shows are Surf guitarists (the other thirty percent are the girlfriends and boyfriends of the 30% who find a girlfriend or boyfriend ), a shiny purple guitar turned up many a nose, despite Dick Dale's use of glitter chartreuse.

Today I would say get a used classic player. I sold my AVRI jazzmasters and jags and only kept a classic player jag. The TOM bridge works great, and having had a couple Mastery Bridges (superb pieces of gear), and a couple stock bridges at the same time, while I wouldn't call the TOM an improvement, it doesn't kill the guitar either. Much less impact than a buzzstop, and after you break it in it adds in the convenience and stability of the mastery bridge and it comes stock on the guitar!

I think I'm out of this thread to avoid repeating myself. But I'll keep an eye out. I'm curious what you'll end up doing. I'm not a big "mods" guy, but I love living vicariously through those who are!

Make sure the search stays fun! And when you do finally decide and purchase, don't keep looking. Commit to your course. No happiness can be found window shopping after the fact.
Old 09-24-2016, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northward View Post
If I where to choose something, this Fano Alt De Facto PX6, looks just killer.. (forget the stupid relic ;-). Now something like that would be real nice and also keeping both kidneys...
I've always been sweet on the idea of building my own Telemaster/Jazzcaster guitar. Getting a body from Warmoth http://www.warmoth.com/Guitar/Bodies...er/Jazzcaster/ and putting the pickups in I wanted. Specifically something like a Telemasterbronita with filtertrons

Here's an auction for a super expensive one, but it was the only one I found with a full body shot in butterscotch, so you can see what I'm talking about. I think the tele headstock and the blackguard just WORK on a jazzy body!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Rare-Fender-...MAAOSwDk5T~6Se
Old 09-24-2016, 12:07 PM

Talking

Quote:
I've always been sweet on the idea of building my own Telemaster/Jazzcaster guitar. Getting a body from Warmoth http://www.warmoth.com/Guitar/Bodies...er/Jazzcaster/ and putting the pickups in I wanted. Specifically something like a Telemasterbronita with filtertrons

Here's an auction for a super expensive one, but it was the only one I found with a full body shot in butterscotch, so you can see what I'm talking about. I think the tele headstock and the blackguard just WORK on a jazzy body!

Thats a clean lines looking guitar right there. Standing up it looks like chick with no bikini bottoms...

I'm beginning to warm up to the JMs shape more. Still I'm a strong believer in gut feelings and instant liking to certain design. I'd like something different but that smooth sound just kills the millions of distorted YT guitar demos out there... I'm gonna make me a b#stard Photoshop design and see if I could get it made for an ok price :-)
Old 09-24-2016, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Rewire job all around, but other than the pickups, it's all cheap stuff. But I'm talking Japanese Fender, not the squier. It was the "poor man's" entree to the offsets for a lot of Surf guys. At the time (early to mid 2000s) you could find them for about $700 to $800, and a used AVRI was north of $1,100 usually.

The "to do" list was big, and some things weren't addressable, like the Basswood body. Even the trem required work and you would need to swap out the spring in order to use 12s. And it was still "Barney on Acid" purple even after all the work

That's why I said it's fine guitar as is. Great playability, a tone closer to the jazzy than the strat. Not that we cared as we were playing them through dripping wet reverb units. I could make a tele sound right with a reverb unit and a bandmaster or showman . It really is a nice guitar. But trying to bring it up to USA specs simply isn't worth it IMO. But that's only my O...

I think they look cool. But the Surf world is probably the most conservative thing going in terms of gear judgement. And since 70% of the folks who actively seek out shows are Surf guitarists (the other thirty percent are the girlfriends and boyfriends of the 30% who find a girlfriend or boyfriend ), a shiny purple guitar turned up many a nose, despite Dick Dale's use of glitter chartreuse.

Today I would say get a used classic player. I sold my AVRI jazzmasters and jags and only kept a classic player jag. The TOM bridge works great, and having had a couple Mastery Bridges (superb pieces of gear), and a couple stock bridges at the same time, while I wouldn't call the TOM an improvement, it doesn't kill the guitar either. Much less impact than a buzzstop, and after you break it in it adds in the convenience and stability of the mastery bridge and it comes stock on the guitar!

I think I'm out of this thread to avoid repeating myself. But I'll keep an eye out. I'm curious what you'll end up doing. I'm not a big "mods" guy, but I love living vicariously through those who are!

Make sure the search stays fun! And when you do finally decide and purchase, don't keep looking. Commit to your course. No happiness can be found window shopping after the fact.
Wow..you know your Jazzmaster man. I'm a very visual oriented guy, but I must admit the Jazzmaster was for me a discovery of tone and sound more. They're pleasant to listen to.
Old 09-24-2016, 06:04 PM

Quote:

The Cabronita in the pastel colour series from the Fender Cusom Shop are def cool guitars! Web's full of pics of DIYs. Seems like Fender have discontinued the Seafoam Green Fender series of it.. :/ Also removed all the the really cool photos they made of that series from their website. (Very corporate..). I allmost bought that Seafoam green for looks alone.
Old 09-24-2016, 06:53 PM

American standard telecaster_all you need

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk
Old 09-24-2016, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bitraker View Post
"There is no money above the fifth fret."...
Hotel California - Capo 7'th fret..

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars