The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 06-13-2016, 02:52 PM

Default Guitar, and vocals at the same time?

Is it a terrible practice to record vocals, and guitar together, at the same time? I see videos of people doing this all the time but mine never seem to come out just right. Are they overdubbing the track onto the video or something like that?

To me it seems like it would be next to impossible to make it all the way through a song either playing, or singing separately, and still be on beat and not losing track of how many measures i've played of a chord or what have you. it also seems so much more natural, and expressive to actually play the song and sing it as it's intended to be.... Idk

example:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mVm8jPBhmMU

2019 j45 Studio

Fender Stratocaster

Fender Jazz Bass

Vox AC15
Old 06-13-2016, 07:25 PM

The problem itīs how you want/gonna process your vocals and guitar...

Mostly overdubs
Kenny Hill Player 640 (2017)(Rosewood/Spruce)
Yamaha NCX 700 (2010) (Mahogany/Sitka)
Guitalele Gretsch G9126 (2013) (Mahogany/Mahogany)

Genz Benz 150LT
Ultrasound/Dean Markley AG15

My Youtube Channel
Old 06-13-2016, 08:30 PM
Charter Member

The biggest concern to be aware of is a phase issue between the 2 mics. Meaning the sound wave of one source, let's say the guitar, reaching the vocal mic slightly behind the sound wave from the guitar mic. This will create 2 tracks that are out of phase with each other, which makes it sound thin. You can hard pan but that does not always sound natural.

You can google or you tube proper techniques for recording both vocal and guitar at the same time. There are folks who can articulate it better then I.
Rainsong H-WS1000N2T
Stonebridge OM33-SR DB
Stonebridge D22-SRA
Tacoma Papoose
Voyage Air VAD-2
1980 Fender Strat
A few Partscaster Strats
MIC 60s Classic Vib Strat
Old 06-14-2016, 01:06 AM

Horses for courses!

I usually record guitar and vocals separately but occasionally I have a song or arrangement that I can't seem to do that with and I will record live. You get some bleed and you need to experiment a bit but you can get a very good sound.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Martin J40
Old 06-14-2016, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atalkingsausage View Post
Is it a terrible practice to record vocals, and guitar together, at the same time? I see videos of people doing this all the time but mine never seem to come out just right. Are they overdubbing the track onto the video or something like that?

To me it seems like it would be next to impossible to make it all the way through a song either playing, or singing separately, and still be on beat and not losing track of how many measures i've played of a chord or what have you. it also seems so much more natural, and expressive to actually play the song and sing it as it's intended to be.... Idk

example:
If you have issues playing AND singing a complete song all the way through without errors, than by all means record each separately and then 'lip sync' your video.

My music: https://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

2020 Taylor 324ceBE
2017 Taylor 114ce-N
2012 Taylor 310ce
2011 Fender CD140SCE
Ibanez 12 string a/e
73(?) Epiphone 6830E 6 string

72 Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Dot Studio
Epiphone LP Jr
Chinese Strat clone

Kala baritone ukulele
Seagull 'Merlin'
Washburn Mandolin
Luna 'tatoo' a/e ukulele
antique banjolin
Squire J bass
Old 06-14-2016, 08:44 AM

Here's a video done by a member here ... Fran Guidry. This is exactly how I do it. Yes, there is some bleed, but you can get decent separation for post processing. Worth a view, IMO ...

Old 06-14-2016, 10:27 AM

It's not terrible. It's whatever works for you. I prefer to record the guitar first and add th vocals later. I just sing in my head when I lay down the guitar tracks. Works for me.
Old 06-14-2016, 02:02 PM

Our first album was an "everybody in the pool" kind of thing. Here's a video from that experience. https://vimeo.com/119019768

Two of us played and sang at the same time (Shure SM7b's on vocals, and AKG 414's on instruments), plus the gals on backup vocals, plus the drums and a bass.

Last edited by buzzardwhiskey; 06-14-2016 at 03:35 PM.
Old 06-14-2016, 06:09 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atalkingsausage View Post

example:
Absolutely not terrible , to do at the same time ---- different with a different set of recording issues to deal with. Has been done extensively on many pro grade recordings....... Except not actually on the Foo Fighters video you linked. Note he stops strumming at 30 seconds to adjust his headphones then stops strumming with his hand resting just above the sound hole until at least 39 or 40 seconds yet the acoustic part continues .

Here is one that, although it does not appear like it first because of playing the intro dubbed over some pre performance video, it is actually happening in real time vocal and guitar and the rest of the players at the same time
he is both plugged into his pic up and using an SDC mic sitting about a foot and half to two feet from his guitar.

No not impossible at all, to to separately it just seems difficult at first most likely because of not having practiced doing them separately ,-----in is actually just different with a different type of atmosphere .

When I first started to play some of the best advice I ever got from a very talented performer was to "If you want to be really great at playing guitar and singing, practice and get really good at doing them separately". That and "Once you think you have it down cold, play in the dark and see if you actually do".

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4

Last edited by KevWind; 06-14-2016 at 06:28 PM.
Old 06-16-2016, 06:06 PM

Here's a quick video from Bob Clearmountain discussing how to record guitar and vocal simply with adequate separation to be able to post process recorded tracks.

https://youtu.be/3WrMhr2nUJI
Old 06-18-2016, 09:54 AM

Regarding the phase issue:

With careful positioning of the mics you should be able to minimize or eliminate it.

I found this guide that explains mic positioning when your recording guitar and singing at the same time.

I usually just record in mono with one mic, but he explains several different setups.
Old 06-18-2016, 11:51 AM

Depends on what your goal is.
If you want pristine control over each recording, guitar and vocals, then record them separately.
If you want to separate them so you can give them much more focus individually then record them separately.
If you want to be able to play and sing well together, then practice that.
There is nothing inherently wrong with recording the 2 together with 2 mics with minimal bleed through, if you like the end product.
Old 06-23-2016, 06:48 PM

I have it down to a system for me that works. I go straight into an amp with the guitar (via Nady wireless system) and use a Shure SM57 for voice. I record the amp output. I stick to this method because it represents a live situation. I'm not interested in studio renderings. That isn't real unless you perform it real (everything simultaneously). Recording separately to me fudges big time. Record it like you're gonna play it, learn how to make that kind of recording sound good and it will reflect positively in the nuance development of your live delivery.
Old 06-26-2016, 10:32 PM

In these days of unlimited tracks, sometimes what I will do is track the guitars and vocals at the same time, and then go back and track them separately.

If the sun is shining, all of the tracks may find their way into the final recording.
Old 06-27-2016, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitar View Post
Record it like you're gonna play it, learn how to make that kind of recording sound good and it will reflect positively in the nuance development of your live delivery.
This is EXACTLY what I do, and there isn't one thing that I do that has made a bigger impact on the quality of my live performances!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD