The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 10-24-2014, 07:04 AM

Default Trying to get a really clean, almost crystalline sound

I'm finding that even on clean amps, my guitar is still giving a distinctive edgy sound, far less so than with gain circuits, etc, but still noticeable when I play strings beyond a tickle.

I want to be able to play a really clear sound probably with delay. Is it down to my technique or do I need to carefully adjust my guitar/amp settings for this?

I can't think of a better way to describe the tone I'm after than "crystalline". Like this, only even more so

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3gxNW2Ulpwk
Old 10-24-2014, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnd View Post
I'm finding that even on clean amps, my guitar is still giving a distinctive edgy sound, far less so than with gain circuits, etc, but still noticeable when I play strings beyond a tickle.

I want to be able to play a really clear sound probably with delay. Is it down to my technique or do I need to carefully adjust my guitar/amp settings for this?

I can't think of a better way to describe the tone I'm after than "crystalline". Like this, only even more so

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3gxNW2Ulpwk
What amp are you playing through? Headroom is your friend...
Old 10-24-2014, 07:09 AM

I'm going modelled so I have a whole range to play with

What do you mean by Headroom?

Should I just be playing super-gently with more volume, maybe I simply pluck the strings too hard?
Old 10-24-2014, 07:21 AM

guitar and amp and pedals play a role.

A fender showman at "3" will sound cleaner than a champ at "10". That's one way to look at Headroom If you're not playing a tube amp, it's probably not an issue. If you ever get the chance to play through a JC 60 or 120, try one out. Very good clean. Very bad distortion

As to guitar it's all about the pickups. If I want super clean I'll use my Chandler Avenger which has super low output lipstick strat pickups. 2nd would be my parker fly with the pickups split, which again has a less powerful output than in humbucking mode. Again if not using a tube amp, it may not matter as much, but single coil, or split will still have a thinner sound, which you may hear as "crystalline"

Also look at your pedals. Your average buffered equalizer pedal acts as a boost for instance. So if you are going through a pedal board, try unplugging from that and going directly to the amp as an experiment.
Old 10-24-2014, 07:26 AM

Should add that an "ampophile" would start getting into speakers at this point. I am not one. I don't suggest chasing your sound through speaker swaps. You'll never be happy, and you will spend money needlessly. Most amps like Vox Valvetronix, and Line 6 would benefit from a speaker swap, but it's not real high on my priority list...
Old 10-24-2014, 07:26 AM

Thanks. Pickup-wise, I have 3, the front two being single (strat-style in appearance) and the back one is a humbucker I believe, although I'm no expert. Certainly pulling the pickup selector forwards helps. As does not turning the guitar volume all the way up.

My modelled amps are a mixture I think, any that are tube I'll make sure I'm not cranking them at all.

At my level of proficiency, speaker swapping is very definitely not on the agenda. I'm sure a week of dedicated practice and playing with knobs would have more impact than spending $10k on fancy equipment
Old 10-24-2014, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Thanks. Pickup-wise, I have 3, the front two being single (strat-style in appearance) and the back one is a humbucker I believe, although I'm no expert. Certainly pulling the pickup selector forwards helps. As does not turning the guitar volume all the way up.

My modelled amps are a mixture I think, any that are tube I'll make sure I'm not cranking them at all.
If you have a "hybrid" amp that has a tube thrown in, you usually have a gain dial. Turn that down as low as you can, and rely almost entirely on your master volume. So gain super low, volume kind of low, master volume high. That works on my Son's Vox.
Old 10-24-2014, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue View Post
If you have a "hybrid" amp that has a tube thrown in, you usually have a gain dial. Turn that down as low as you can, and rely almost entirely on your master volume. So gain super low, volume kind of low, master volume high. That works on my Son's Vox.
This.

I have a Vox Pathfinder and a modeller. Do this with either if I want full, clear, loud and clean. Back off the bass a little if you have a full EQ.

Or, buy a Tele and a Blues Deluxe. It'll blow your roof off before it breaks up.
Old 10-24-2014, 07:54 AM

The idea of audiophile-like clean sound from an electric guitar amplifier is pie-in-the-sky. There is no such thing. An electric guitar amplifier is not, and was never intended to be, designed for crystal clean. A guitar amplifier could just as easily be called a Tone Generator; or better yet, a Distortion Generator. There is ALWAYS signal clipping happening and that implies signal distortion. Even the cleanest of clean tones (think Eric Johnson) has a taint of signal clipping (distortion). It is ALWAYS going to be there. A guitar amp was not designed to produce crystal clean like Audiophile Stereo amps. Even amps reputed to be "high headroom" are generating distortion at any audible volume.
Old 10-24-2014, 08:07 AM

If you can, go to a store with your amp and guitar and try out an EQ pedal. Danelectro makes a pretty good inexpensive ($30.00) EQ pedal. I also get super clear tone from keyboard amps. These amps don't often come with effects so you could buy a delay or echo pedal with one. I get the clearest tone with trebles a bit higher than lows on the guitar, and cut the mids on the EQ. Have fun and good luck.
Old 10-24-2014, 08:45 AM

Tried adjusting your pickup heights? A little change, maybe lower, can thin out the signal and give you a touch more glassiness.

Acoustics
2013 Guild F30 Standard
2012 Yamaha LL16
2007 Seagull S12
1991 Yairi DY 50

Electrics
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Fender Am. Standard Telecaster
Gibson ES-335
Gibson Firebird
Old 10-24-2014, 09:58 AM

First of all, what kind of amp are you using? If you've got a gain or master volume control, trade that amp for a classic Fender blackface or silverface amp, which has headroom galore. Secondly, what kind of guitar are you using with what kind of pickups? High output pickups, especially replacement "super-distortion" pickups are made to give you a distorted sound even at low volumes.
One of the attractive things about those Gretsch and Rickenbacker guitars from the 50s and 60s was that their low-output pickups produced a clear, bright and "jangly" sound, even if you cranked the amplifier.
Avoid Gibsons from the Norlin period. In order to save on copper wire, Gibson during those years used ceramic magnets (which were stronger) in their pickups rather than the alnico alloy magnets they had used so successfully for so many years. The result was a harsher, spikier sound except at extremely low volumes.
Finally, throw all you pedals and stomp boxes in the trash and plug your guitar directly into the amplifier.
Old 10-24-2014, 10:16 AM

Get a Rickenbacker.

My website:
http://draudio56.wix.com/warren-bendler

"It's hard...calming the Beatle inside of me."
Old 10-24-2014, 10:23 AM

Quote:
I'm going modelled so I have a whole range to play with

What do you mean by Headroom?

Should I just be playing super-gently with more volume, maybe I simply pluck the strings too hard?
What amp are you playing through?

In simple terms, headroom is how loud you can crank the amp before it starts to distort. All other things being equal, it's a function of circuit design and wattage. That's why a Fender Twin is cleaner than a Budda SD 80 (circuit) and why a Budda SD 80 is cleaner than a Budda SD 30 (wattage, aka headroom).

This is why I keep asking what you're playing through. I don't know if you even have much potential to improve with your rig, so it's hard to give much useful advice.

I'd also suggest you use Google to search outside this forum.
Old 10-24-2014, 11:13 AM

Buy a Peavey Special 130.

You can break windows with its crystalline clear cutting sound at volumes to make your ears bleed.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars