The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 05-11-2013, 02:48 PM
Charter Member

Default 4 channel mixer

suggestions on a 4 channel mixer to use with a fishman soloamp. want to run 2 guitars and two vocals.
Old 05-11-2013, 03:12 PM

I use a Yamaha MG82cx for that very purpose. Works great--noiseless, compact, and inexpensive. Love it.
Old 05-11-2013, 03:51 PM
Musical minimalist

I've been quite happy with a used Behringer 1202FX that I picked up on GC's site for 50.00. More than 4 channels, but for the price, you never know when you will need more!

I've had a couple of these now and they seem to be a good value.

Old 05-11-2013, 05:29 PM

There are lots of choices, and they're all likely to do the basic job just fine, but one that stands out a little in the very small mixer world is the Allen and Heath ZED10 or ZED10FX. In addition to just being well made and well designed, they have semi-parametric midrange EQ, which can really be useful for amplifying an acoustic guitar. They also have high-z 1/4" inputs on two channels, which can save you having to go through a DI--although that's only an advantage if you know you'll be near the board on stage (as I think your questions suggests you will).

It has 2 more XLR channels, but if you don't need effects there is also the Soundcraft EPM6 (again with semi-parametric mid EQ).

On the other hand, if you're already using a preamp/DI with adequate mid-EQ, this might not matter.

Louis
Old 05-12-2013, 12:04 AM
Charter Member

I used to use (and still have!) a Mackie 1202VLZ mixer... quite comprehensive, plenty of different functions and options, quiet... and it was cheap, back in the 90's! If you could find one of these, used, it shouldn't run you more than $150 or so... it has 4 XLR/1/4" inputs, as well as 4 stereo "line level" inputs (for the total of 12...).
and the things I hold dear
are near...
And I always find my way back home."

"Home" (working title) J.S, Sherman
Old 05-14-2013, 10:33 PM

Default great sound, size and options

Allen and Heath ZED10FX
Old 05-15-2013, 10:24 AM

+1 on the Allen and Heath. Has a very good reverb too.
Old 05-15-2013, 12:48 PM

I really think you should choose the mixer based upon your own usage preferences and intuition.

I have been using Mackie mixers for live and studio work for about 20 years. I understand the signal routing well, I love the EQ section, and I can generally get around them and troubleshoot them easily. The 16 channel mixer that I use for my band is a Mackie Onyx series, and I love it. There are plenty of other people who don't love them.

I have an Allen and Heath Zed 10 that I use for solo gigs. It does the job, but I don't love it. The signal path through the mixer is foreign to me, I don't like the sound of the pre-amps or EQ section, the on-board effects sound like garbage to my ears, and it seems to have a lot less dynamic range/ headroom than I'm used to. Overall it just feels like a toy compared to my Mackie.

So I would go look at a few, and pick the one that is most intuitive to you. If I were in your shoes, I would find a nice used Mackie 1202 VLZ and an outboard effects unit from Lexicon or TC Electronics; however, your own preferences would likely be different from mine.

1943 Gibson J-45
Martin Custom Shop 000-28 Authentic Aged 1937
Voyage Air VAOM-4
Old 05-27-2013, 10:57 AM

Default huh?

I sold my pretty good Mackie for the A & H. How the effects could be described as "garbage" is beyond me. Wish it had channel mutes but it is a really nice mixer with very good sound.
Old 05-27-2013, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wagtail View Post
I sold my pretty good Mackie for the A & H. How the effects could be described as "garbage" is beyond me. Wish it had channel mutes but it is a really nice mixer with very good sound.
Yes, unfortunatetly, to get channel mutes in the ZED series you have to go for either the ZED60-10FX or ZED60-14FX mixers or the ZED12FX and up.

I also don't see what's wrong with the effects on the 10FX. I'm not a big fan of the design they used for tweaking the parameters, but the effects themselves sound just fine to me (at least for my purposes--adding a little reverb for small acoustic and semi-acoustic gigs).

Louis
Old 05-27-2013, 12:40 PM

Low budget option is the Peavey PV-6. $99 and gets favorable reviews.
Old 05-27-2013, 02:49 PM

Default generally, very good

I agree with your experience here. Could you expand on what yoyu mean by "I'm not a big fan of the design they used for tweaking the parameters" ?
Old 05-27-2013, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitness1 View Post
I've been quite happy with a used Behringer 1202FX that I picked up on GC's site for 50.00. More than 4 channels, but for the price, you never know when you will need more!

I've had a couple of these now and they seem to be a good value.
+1
I've had the 1202FX and currently use a 1002FX for my solo gigs (which has plenty of inputs for the two guitars and two mics but only has EQ and gain on two channels, if that makes a difference to you). Anyway, I've always been perfectly happy with both sound quality and durability. Just about the only Behringer gear I would still buy.
Old 05-27-2013, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wagtail View Post
I agree with your experience here. Could you expand on what yoyu mean by "I'm not a big fan of the design they used for tweaking the parameters" ?
I like the way the controls are designed on some other mixers I've used better. For example, I have a Soundcraft MFXi12, and the controls on that are a set of 3 parameter knobs. These all do different things, depending on which effect you're using, and you can very easily make very fine adjustments to each of the parameters for each effect. Also, each effect setting has a set of default parameters that you find by simply turning each knob until a little LED comes on. Then you can either leave it there or tweak from that starting point however you like. You can also store your custom settings.

As I said, I have no problem with the effects on the ZED, but the way you have to push those little buttons and work with the number of little lights is just a bit awkward (relatively speaking), and you have less subtle control over the parameters, given that you only have one parameter control for each effect and the parameter (or the connected set of parameters) is preselected for you.

Louis
Old 05-27-2013, 05:41 PM

I'm using a Soundcraft Notepad 124FX and it's perfect for your application. It's all about the preamps and the Notepad has four XLR preamps. The same high quality XLR's that are used on the big boys. Check out reviews.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification