The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 10-14-2014, 07:56 AM

Default About to pull the trigger on a new 2014 Gibson Firebird Sunburst

Anybody have experience with this guitar and model? Any "go for its" or "oh heck no stay aways"?

Have read A TON about quality control issues over the years with Gibsons in general. Little to none regarding the Firebird, however. Anybody? Bueller?

(And don't hold back. Opinions, rehtoric, love stories, bad breakups, "Gibson employs starving children to assemble their guitars for their extra-small hands" stories all will be considered.)

Thanks!
Old 10-14-2014, 08:08 AM
Guitar Gourmet

Oh, I haven't read much negative press on Firebirds. Which one are you going for? Do be aware that they tend to be headstock heavy and that is the nature of the beast.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 10-14-2014, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Womack View Post
Oh, I haven't read much negative press on Firebirds. Which one are you going for? Do be aware that they tend to be headstock heavy and that is the nature of the beast.

Bob
I agree. Other than being a bit tricky to balance on a strap at times, they're great guitars. Love the mini humbuckers, and have admired them in the hands of Johnny Winter (though in fairness he could make anything sound good).

Firebirds are to Gibson kind of like what Jazzmasters are the Fender...a bit of an odd duck, but when you love them, nothing else will do.
Old 10-14-2014, 08:29 AM

Gibson have installed different pickups in Firebirds over the years. Originally this was a unique dual-blade A5 design. At different times they've also had mini-buckers (similar) and high-output humbuckers (yuck). The 2014 mini-buckers have ceramic magnets which means some kind of high-output mini-bucker design. I'd be curious to hear what they sound like.

If for some reason they don't come up to speed and the original, bright sound is what you're looking for, Lollar make their own version of the dual-blade design.
Old 10-14-2014, 09:09 AM

I see a lot of NGD threads for Les Pauls and SGs but very little for Firebirds. What makes you want the Firebird? For all the quality issues that one reads about there are lots more of great Gibsons out there so no worries. I haven't read anything negative about the Firebirds. I say go for it.

Will you order online or play before buying?

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars