The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-17-2012, 11:15 PM

To all you folks who like to douse your guitars in all these potions, consider this...

You can have a clean and shiny guitar by just using a damp cloth and a soft polishing cloth (like an old T shirt) So why would you use anything else?

I'm sure I won't convince anyone to stop using your chemical baths, but you also won't convince me to start using any sauces on my guitars
Old 02-18-2012, 07:13 AM

Bon-Ami that I use is not a household cleanser like you show, not like Comet or Ajax. Perhaps it is not available in your area. Again, it is in a spray can and comes out as a foam. It doesn't matter what you use, whatever works for you and if you are happy with the results. My guitars look great.
Old 02-18-2012, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryboss1 View Post
Bon-Ami that I use is not a household cleanser like you show, not like Comet or Ajax. Perhaps it is not available in your area. Again, it is in a spray can and comes out as a foam. It doesn't matter what you use, whatever works for you and if you are happy with the results. My guitars look great.
Is this what you're talking about?

Old 02-18-2012, 07:43 AM

Used to use Martin guitar polish, but switched to the Turtle Wax Express Shine, and it's fine.

In between, I just use microfiber cloth and a little spit...
Taylor 150E
Taylor Limited Edition 326ce 8-string baritone
Various other instruments
Old 02-18-2012, 08:05 AM

Has anyone ever seen a guitar "abused" or devalued in any substantive way by using the wrong cleaner or wax? I personally have not. I've never heard of anyone ruining their guitar by trying to keep it clean. While I agree it's really not needed, I suspect most folks are obsessing over the wrong things. I say handle your instrument with reasonable care to avoid senseless damage/breaks/gouges, take reasonable/simple measures to keep it humidified, keep it in the case when not using it, and just enjoy it.
Old 02-18-2012, 08:45 AM

Amidst the festivities, I offer this to the OP:

Virtuoso Polish. It is the best instrument polish I've ever used.

Hope this is helpful to you!
Old 02-18-2012, 10:29 AM
AGF Sponsor

If Taylor really is waxing every guitar before it leaves the factory, this explains a great deal to me. I believe wax alters the surface hardness of a stringed instrument and adversely effects performance.
Old 02-18-2012, 10:46 AM

Bruce,
You might have just solved an age old question...

Dave
Old 02-18-2012, 12:20 PM

I once bought a cheap parlor from a guy - he was happily polishing it with bees wax when I came to pick it up. Took forever for that stuff to go away, really felt terrible.

I've used fretboard oil on the fretboard twice in four years, but for the guitar (satin finish) - a slightly damp cloth once in a while, then wipe it with a dry one.

"Yeah!" - Blind Boy Fuller
Old 02-18-2012, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 000-18GE View Post
Has anyone ever seen a guitar "abused" or devalued in any substantive way by using the wrong cleaner or wax?
Yes. If the "cleaner" used is silicon based, I personally wouldn't touch it. Also, I'm not a fan of waxes on guitars (see Bruce Sexauer's comment above).

Wipe down with a micro-fiber cloth after use, clean occasionally with a damp, all-cotton cloth, Preservation polish or similar once a year or so, and your good to go. To me, cleaning/polishing etc. after every use is a waste of time.

D.
Old 02-18-2012, 01:55 PM

I thought I have read it all! But when I started buying guitars two years ago with no expierience soon found out there was more to a guitar than sitting out in the camp fire and it sitting next to a tree! I learned you use very friendly cleaners and polishes etc! And I also learned about the nitrocelluose finshes and the UV finish from taylor! I think taylor is OK with carnuba but now MARTIN you dare to put any wax or pore clogging cleaner or wax etc! And reading some of these post about wax and such blows my mind! But I have got very tempted to want to put a light wax on my guitars and shine them up like I did my first car you know real shiny wood. But soon found out, NO NO! Use recommended stuff. But again Taylor guitars and finishes are friendler. learn something new everyday! Another polish I love to use is dunlop 65 . But it has a 1% consentration of silicone. Taylor recommends it but martin again says stay away from silicones. They too clog up the nitrocelluose pores. I use gibson nitro friendly polish.
Old 02-18-2012, 02:00 PM

You know I don't think I read well enough! Maybe some of these harsh sounding cleaners and waxes and polishes like BonAmi is being sprayed and used on esteban guitars! those high priced 100.00 guitars!
Old 02-18-2012, 02:02 PM

Location: Not where I thought I was going, but probably where I need to be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kydave View Post
Nothing but a slightly warm, slightly damp cloth once in a blue moon.

Other than that; bourbon spills wiped with flannel shirt sleeve...

(Seriously, DON'T put wax on your guitar!)
Agree.
Your guitar neither needs..nor wants...any kind of polish/wax/etc.
Having owned over 40 guitars these past 30 years, my experience has been keep them clean with a clean rag wipe, don't bang them around, and they will look great.

You don't need the build up of some chemical product on your guitar...and many products contain silicone...even if not listed...which you definitely want to avoid.

An article from William Cumpiano, luthier, author of a respected/referrenced book on luthery, re; guitar products titled "Don't Love Your guitar to Death.";

http://cumpiano.com/Home/Articles/Ar...brd%20oil.html

If you just HAVE to do something, use Virtuoso once ever year...or two...or three.
And then...very sparringly.

"Use what talents you possess; the woods would be very silent if no birds sang except those that sang best."
Henry Van Dyke

"It is in the world of slow time that truth and art are found as one"
Norman Maclean,
Old 02-18-2012, 02:16 PM

The Bon-Ami I use is in a red spray can and is a glass cleaner.
Old 02-18-2012, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryboss1 View Post
The Bon-Ami I use is in a red spray can and is a glass cleaner.

that stuff would be great for all your glass guitars, not as much for your nitro finished Martin

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion