The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 03-18-2024, 01:15 PM

Default Perspective in the social media era.

United Airlines put out a memo on recent maintenance related issues and I saw social media light up on that. A little bit of homework shows the problem was much worse in past times yet that's where many of the complainers say we need to go back to.

Full disclosure. This does not mean I'm okay with the problems discovered.
Old 03-18-2024, 01:47 PM

I do think that before the internet there was somewhat less THE SKY IS FALLING stuff being publicized. It may have been out there, but nobody knew except the nutjobs themselves and whoever got stuck sitting next to them at the coffeeshop.
Old 03-18-2024, 02:04 PM

I'm confused about this post. Is it pro or anti social media or is this about issues with United Airlines?

The best way to avoid the disinformation/misinformation/fanning of the sky is falling fire is to simply avoid social media. It's easy and will make your life SO much better. I was never part of the SM crowd and the people I know who are are so much less happy than the ones who either dropped it or never joined in the first place.
Old 03-18-2024, 02:09 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talk2Me View Post
The best way to avoid the disinformation/misinformation/fanning of the sky is falling fire is to simply avoid social media. It's easy and will make your life SO much better. I was never part of the SM crowd and the people I know who are are so much less happy than the ones who either dropped it or never joined in the first place.

I'm with you on this 100%

Taylor GC7, GA3-12, SB2-C, SB2-Cp...... Ibanez AVC-11MHx , AC-240
Old 03-18-2024, 02:38 PM

Quote:
I'm confused about this post. Is it pro or anti social media or is this about issues with United Airlines?

I just observed the common overreaction in the way a local TV station has Facebook comments for their web postings.

When I'm not wearing the commercial Facebook site admin hat or forum moderator (not here) hat I tune social media wonderfully. It's easy to do but also needs a same sort of discipline like not overeating or managing drinking etc....

My Facebook feeds are really quite nice except for ads. Those are just like I can't help what I see on a TV. My TikTok feed is all pretty much fun, wonderful and nice stuff. X has been harder to tune. I still see a few great writers but ads inserted are worse than Facebook I ignore the bad ads.

The past two years have been far more travel again. When I turn on the cable TVs there it is worse than anything I see in my well curated or tuned social media feeds.

Tuning your social media well seems far better than when I turn on a TV or the time I give to reading the web content from two major "news" brands.
Old 03-18-2024, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by imwjl View Post
I just observed the common overreaction in the way a local TV station has Facebook comments for their web postings.

When I'm not wearing the commercial Facebook site admin hat or forum moderator (not here) hat I tune social media wonderfully. It's easy to do but also needs a same sort of discipline like not overeating or managing drinking etc....

My Facebook feeds are really quite nice except for ads. Those are just like I can't help what I see on a TV. My TikTok feed is all pretty much fun, wonderful and nice stuff. X has been harder to tune. I still see a few great writers but ads inserted are worse than Facebook I ignore the bad ads.

The past two years have been far more travel again. When I turn on the cable TVs there it is worse than anything I see in my well curated or tuned social media feeds.

Tuning your social media well seems far better than when I turn on a TV or the time I give to reading the web content from two major "news" brands.
And there it is. It sounds like you've been turned of by "traditional media" and so you went the SM route. Understandable but also means you get unfiltered and unresearched OPINION from every idiot on the planet. Even in your "well curated" feeds (that terminology actually made me laugh). I receive my information from MANY sources (certainly more than one) and I filter and decide what has merit and what's fluff. It's all well and good to enjoy silly videos on some SM site (at least in theory it's harmless though I suspect not...especially when comments are allowed) but that's not where you'll LEARN anything very valuable about life or yourself or what's happening in the outside world. Those are 3 things important to me at least. YMMV.
Old 03-18-2024, 02:57 PM

Quote:
And there it is. It sounds like you've been turned of by "traditional media" and so you went the SM route. Understandable but also means you get unfiltered and unresearched OPINION from every idiot on the planet. Even in your "well curated" feeds (that terminology actually made me laugh). I receive my information from MANY sources (certainly more than one) and I filter and decide what has merit and what's fluff. It's all well and good to enjoy silly videos on some SM site (at least in theory it's harmless though I suspect not...especially when comments are allowed) but that's not where you'll LEARN anything very valuable about life or yourself or what's happening in the outside world. Those are 3 things important to me at least. YMMV.
That's rushing to judgement. I'm probably the opposite of just taking in opinion. First, we subscribe to some of the world and area top papers. Our Apple News+ is 300+ papers and magazines. I keep the tradition my dad left of reading news from competing sources before reading opinion.

I really enjoy following this project. Where I spend a lot of time is all ranked high for accuracy and towards center for bias.

For listening I often smile and also roll eyes that The Economist podcast I listen to weekly is smack in the middle, high for accuracy and then face associates calling it fake just because they don't' like truth - oh well.

I'd be more stressed if not the news junkie I am and feel it's a poor idea to not be up on actual news.

https://adfontesmedia.com/interactive-media-bias-chart/
Old 03-18-2024, 03:58 PM

Quote:
simply avoid social media. It's easy and will make your life SO much better.
Actually no; messaging services like WhatsApp or professional networking services like LinkedIn also count as "soclal media" nowadays.

Quote:
My Facebook feeds are really quite nice except for ads.
Sounds like you haven't discovered FBPurity yet!

But even that doesn't really help that FB are much more interesting in showing use what they want us to see rather than what we want to see.

Pickle: Gretsch G9240 "Alligator" wood-body resonator wearing nylguts (China, 2018?)
Toon: Eastman Cabaret JB (China, 2022)
Stanley: The Loar LH-650 (China, 2017)
Old 03-18-2024, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJVB View Post
Actually no; messaging services like WhatsApp or professional networking services like LinkedIn also count as "soclal media" nowadays.
Actually no, they're not. While they can be USED for social media like purposes they are clearly not "social media" as they're generally meant as a one in one communication tool vs social media which is by definition meant to broadcast to many. Many other users who are tools. [
Old 03-18-2024, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Actually no, they're not.
You don't have to convince me, but the makers and other powers that be will out-shout you without breaking a sweat

Pickle: Gretsch G9240 "Alligator" wood-body resonator wearing nylguts (China, 2018?)
Toon: Eastman Cabaret JB (China, 2022)
Stanley: The Loar LH-650 (China, 2017)
Old 03-18-2024, 06:34 PM

Are all of you aware it is really fast and easy to just choose the hide, snooze and block options for Facebook content you don't like, and also report for against community standards and fake. You have to be honest when you report fake and community standards stuff. That makes it easy to mostly see your actual friends and people you follow.

You can tune other platforms to be much better too.
Old 03-18-2024, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Are all of you aware it is really fast and easy to just choose the hide, snooze and block options for Facebook content you don't like, and also report for against community standards and fake. You have to be honest when you report fake and community standards stuff. That makes it easy to mostly see your actual friends and people you follow.

You can tune other platforms to be much better too.
Oh, I do all that. But they keep coming . . .

If seven maids with seven mops
Swept it for half a year,
Do you suppose,' the Walrus said,
That they could get it clear?'
I doubt it,' said the Carpenter,
And shed a bitter tear.

Last edited by frankmcr; 03-18-2024 at 07:47 PM.
Old 03-18-2024, 08:26 PM
Charter Member

Acoustic Guitar Forum is by far my favorite social media site.

I enjoy hearing the many disparate, mostly non judgmental opinions on a wide variety of topics, many of them guitar related :-).

Martin Custom Shop 000-28 Authentic Aged 1937
Fairbanks F20
Rainsong CO-OM1100NST
Old 03-19-2024, 12:49 AM

Just part of the "Terms and Conditions". Endure it or leave it.
Old 03-19-2024, 04:02 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJVB View Post
Actually no; ....professional networking services like LinkedIn also count as "soclal media" nowadays.
Quote:
Actually no, they're not. While they can be USED for social media like purposes they are clearly not "social media" as they're generally meant as a one in one communication tool vs social media which is by definition meant to broadcast to many. Many other users who are tools. [
My former company had an aggressive Marketing department. They planned a LinkedIn presence. Encouraged every employee to make a LinkedIn page and be active on there. They saw the viral attraction of LinkedIn for name recognition.

I used it for a little while. I quickly lost interest when I kept seeing posts that said "how many likes can grandpa get?" and people I know posting hyper-political rants. It became a social media cesspool.

Taylor GC7, GA3-12, SB2-C, SB2-Cp...... Ibanez AVC-11MHx , AC-240

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic