The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 02-19-2024, 04:02 PM
Guitar Gourmet

Default Popular Music Trends

Here is an interesting, and miraculously short, video from Rick Beato on current trends in popular music. If you write, you probably want to hear this stuff because it shows a change in trends for what is popular in instrumentation, song length, etc.

And yes, I know it is Rick Beato. The info is good here.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 02-20-2024, 06:45 AM

That's fascinating! Thanks for sharing.
Old 02-20-2024, 07:00 AM
Charter Member

That was the best news I have heard in years! LOL. Seriously though, that was really interesting.
Old 02-20-2024, 07:03 AM

The elephant in the room is that “country” has absorbed elements of multiple genres to include hip hop, pop, rock, electronica, folk and even R & B.
Since it is an almagamation of many elements, it has become a diluted genre’ that has very little to do with its true origins in a lot of cases.
I recognize that cross-overs have always existed, but the disproportionate share of “country” today is a mass-appealing blend of mush that covers many bases.
That is definitely intentional and would explain the rise in popularity.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster

Last edited by rokdog49; 02-20-2024 at 07:09 AM.
Old 02-22-2024, 03:07 AM

Others not mentioned

Bluegrass
Blues
Jazz
Instrumentals
Guild Acoustic Fretless Bass
Old 02-22-2024, 10:44 AM

It's all pop, isn't it? I dont know how they separate the categories.

But one factor I think has something to do with trends is demographics. The native born population under 20 has been shrinking for a few decades, in real numbers, not percentages. And so the audience is changing too.
Old 02-22-2024, 11:00 AM

If I was interested in this kind of thing (and I am, a little) I would not be checking out Beato's report on the research (opinionated or not), I would be checking out the research itself.
Old 02-22-2024, 11:16 AM

I'd kind of noticed this along with the rise in "country" over the past few years, even though I barely follow popular music trends. I don't follow this genre closely, but my impression is that it (like rap) has a lot of lyric songwriting that helps the audience relate to their lives, sometimes by making provocative points.

The TicTok short format think I was aware of. Weirdly even though I'm far from a pop music composer, I've been focusing on shorter performances. That part of Beato's summary was intensely interesting, as I still hear a lot 4-6 minute songs from contemporary semi-pop or genre-popular records that I think of as 3 minute songs expanded due to lack of deciding on the best verses or an apparent desire to sell the chorus as more significant than it is through repetition. I often aim to work on a sub-3-minute canvas myself, and find it odd that I seem to be a trend follower.

The overall trend concern here is that we may be culturally in a "Short Attention Span" moment, and the consumption of music on streaming or social media sites intensifies that movement.

Guitars: 20th Century Seagull S6-12, S6 Folk, Seagull M6; '00 Guild JF30-12, '01 Martin 00-15, '16 Martin 000-17, '07 Parkwood PW510, Epiphone Biscuit resonator, Merlin Dulcimer, and various electric guitars, basses....
Old 02-22-2024, 11:40 AM

Quote:

The overall trend concern here is that we may be culturally in a "Short Attention Span" moment, and the consumption of music on streaming or social media sites intensifies that movement.
One of the things Beato points out is that many great songs of the late 60s/early 70s were less than 3 minutes. Masterpieces like "In My Life".
Old 02-22-2024, 11:47 AM

I’m at the dentist, so I’ll watch the vid later. But I do want to say that the songs I write are not for publication, they’re for me mostly - I’d have a hard time putting them into any category, except in a very general sense. I’d bet that a lot of folks here write that way, also. Once you understand that you can do whatever you want as long as it makes some kind of musical sense, it’s very freeing.
Old 02-22-2024, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankmcr View Post
One of the things Beato points out is that many great songs of the late 60s/early 70s were less than 3 minutes. Masterpieces like "In My Life".
Yes. The highlight of Beato's video was pointing that out. Myself? my Parlando Project deals with literary poetry. That Project believes one can make an effective statement in a compressed form. The length differences between a poem and novel or full-length play are greater than anything we experience in musical forms!

A lot of the Short Attention Span stuff out there isn't looking for intense attention that some poems invite/need however. Short-form social media is largely about the ongoing scrolling time-line and the brief flash of entertainment before moving on to the next.

Beyond that, there's a thing I worry about the culture missing: that it may take a minimum length of musical expression to achieve certain effects. There are things that you likely can't elicit with a sub-3-minute composition. I am talking about "instrumental" music, or music with long instrumental passages in that regard.

Guitars: 20th Century Seagull S6-12, S6 Folk, Seagull M6; '00 Guild JF30-12, '01 Martin 00-15, '16 Martin 000-17, '07 Parkwood PW510, Epiphone Biscuit resonator, Merlin Dulcimer, and various electric guitars, basses....
Old 02-22-2024, 12:16 PM
Charter Member

Being half past ancient, the genres don't mean much to me -fr'instance "country" - how is that defined now? Is it "real" country music or . like, Nashville Rock in hats?

I've just looked at the top 40 for the UK I have heard of two of the 40 artists - Sophie Ellis-Bextor - with a re-issue of her 2001 hit (??) and Taylor Swift - I've heard of her but have not heard her music.

Apart from that .... nutt'n much - I guess I'm typical of people whose musical preferences stop at a certain age - for me ? Prolly age 30-40.

thinks ..... how do they have a top ten/twenty/thirty now - I mean does anybody actually buy singles ?
Old 02-22-2024, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rokdog49 View Post
The elephant in the room is that “country” has absorbed elements of multiple genres to include hip hop, pop, rock, electronica, folk and even R & B.
Since it is an almagamation of many elements, it has become a diluted genre’ that has very little to do with its true origins in a lot of cases.
I recognize that cross-overs have always existed, but the disproportionate share of “country” today is a mass-appealing blend of mush that covers many bases.
That is definitely intentional and would explain the rise in popularity.
The first drum kit to make it into a Nashville studio was probably greeted with a “this isn’t real country” attitude. All American music has always had cross pollination. Louis Armstrong played with Jimmie Rodgers.
1990 Guild GF30 Bld Maple Archback
Alvarez AP66
Baby Taylor
G&L ASAT Tribute T-style
Old 02-22-2024, 02:06 PM

Default And it worked!

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidbeinct View Post
The first drum kit to make it into a Nashville studio was probably greeted with a “this isn’t real country” attitude. All American music has always had cross pollination. Louis Armstrong played with Jimmie Rodgers.
Jimmie Rodgers' anglo-celtic inflected voice singing country blues songs interspersed with Swiss yodels while strumming a (Portuguese-derived) Hawaiian ukulele accompanied by jazz trumpet. Got yer Fusion Music right here, folks!
Old 02-22-2024, 02:11 PM
Guitar Gourmet

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidbeinct View Post
Respectfully, I think that is a classic example of the "Bald Man" arguement - that there really isn't any difference between a bald man and a man wth a full head of hair except numbers. There really has been a shift in what is called "country" and even country artist are now referring to something thy call "classic country."

But back to the thread subject, the shorter songs have always been a fascinating study to me. The Allman Brothers expressed their thoughts in six to thirty minute blocks but there was, at the same time, a stream of music that was being written for three to three and a half minutes. Quote Billy Joel:

I am the entertainer
I come to do my show
You heard my latest record
It's been on the radio
Ah, it took me years to write it
They were the best years of my life
It was a beautiful song but it ran too long
If you're gonna have a hit you gotta make it fit
So they cut it down to 3:05

But think of what was said in those minutes!

2:04 with ring out.

3:13

3:55

3:29

Not a wasted note.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)

Last edited by Bob Womack; 02-22-2024 at 05:34 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic