The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 02-26-2024, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzman View Post
Yep,its a bummer but let's be real. The damage estimates probably run into hundreds of dollars I feel like it should be rebuilt bigger and better.
??? The building was the original old shack where he lived. It burned to the ground. Yes, they can build something new, but it's not the same. The original home is now lost forever. The value wasn't in the replacement cost; it was in the history.
Old 02-26-2024, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzman View Post
Yep,its a bummer but let's be real. The damage estimates probably run into hundreds of dollars I feel like it should be rebuilt bigger and better.
If they'd wanted "bigger and better" they could have built something adjacent years ago. I'm hoping the emoji reflects a certain amount of sarcasm and not just complete blindness to the value of history.
Old 02-26-2024, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talk2Me View Post
If they'd wanted "bigger and better" they could have built something adjacent years ago. I'm hoping the emoji reflects a certain amount of sarcasm and not just complete blindness to the value of history.
Well,fact is it burned! So build one back that's safe for visitors where maybe they have videos of mjh playing, historical facts about the man and the area? Or not? I don't care.and I understand the value of history.some groups of people erase history they don't like. Building a museum adjacent to ....the museum? Great idea
Old 02-26-2024, 12:10 PM

tragedy
Old 02-26-2024, 01:05 PM

Intangible, that's the thing. Just a pretty run-down little house. You'd phone the caretaker & they'd come by and let you in. Full of stuff donated by local people. Nothing valuable as far as $$$ goes. Just memories and a sense of place.
Old 03-01-2024, 09:24 AM
Charter Member

From Valerie Turner's newsletter:

MISSISSIPPI JOHN HURT FOUNDATION

The music community suffered a devastating loss when the Mississippi John Hurt Museum was destroyed by fire only hours after receiving landmark status. Read about the fire here. https://www.smithsonianmag.com/smart...urt-180983839/

The museum and its contents are irreplaceable, and the Foundation will need to find another way to recognize John Hurt's legacy. If you would like to contribute to this effort, donations are gratefully accepted at Mississippi John Hurt's Legacy Will Rise. https://gofund.me/6bb42a81

We are on pins and needles waiting for final tweaks to the upcoming documentary film about Mississippi John Hurt. The production team, Draft, graciously posted a preview on Vimeo in mid-February with a limited viewing window and we hope you had a chance to see it. If not, stay tuned for news about the final film release!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic