The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 07-28-2014, 09:49 AM

Default Playing observations

I know some people rave about the Fishman SA220, and I think if you work solo and work on the EQ for your guitar/mic set up it can be adequate for smallish rooms. However I played a few songs at an open mic last week where the osund was horrible (and not just for me, but everyone). The guy running the OM is a nice guy, and I didn't want to get his dander up bysuggesting he work on the sound. He had a small (volume only) mixer so that 2 mics and 2 guitars could be used. The sound was 'tinny' (being kind) at best.

Then on Saturday I played in a tent at a festival where an old friend had brought some of his equipment. I used my SM58, and my 'hot weather' guitar - a Fender CD140. The speaker was a single QSC 15" on a pole. The sound was 400% better than my Taylor plugged into the fishstick last week.

And a nice aside, my wife was the festival for my set (I played 90 minutes) and she told me she could really tell the difference in sound now between my cheap Fender and the Taylor - but I don't think that is 'permission' to get another Taylor yet!

My music: https://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

2020 Taylor 324ceBE
2017 Taylor 114ce-N
2012 Taylor 310ce
2011 Fender CD140SCE
Ibanez 12 string a/e
73(?) Epiphone 6830E 6 string

72 Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Dot Studio
Epiphone LP Jr
Chinese Strat clone

Kala baritone ukulele
Seagull 'Merlin'
Washburn Mandolin
Luna 'tatoo' a/e ukulele
antique banjolin
Squire J bass
Old 07-28-2014, 10:24 AM

I'll be playing Wednesday at a place that uses a Fishstick ... I've played there before and hate that system. I'll probably bring my acoustic amp and use that instead.

I'm not a fan of the Bose stick systems either. (evidently made from pure unobtanium, judging by their prices).
Old 07-28-2014, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyAxe View Post
I'm not a fan of the Bose stick systems either.
Although I think they sound better than the fishstick, I don't like how they sound for an acoustic guitar either.

2020 Taylor 324ceBE
2017 Taylor 114ce-N
2012 Taylor 310ce
2011 Fender CD140SCE
Ibanez 12 string a/e

72 Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Dot Studio
Epiphone LP Jr
Chinese Strat clone

Kala baritone ukulele
Seagull 'Merlin'
Washburn Mandolin
Luna 'tatoo' a/e ukulele
antique banjolin
Squire J bass
Old 07-28-2014, 06:27 PM

Well to each or her own, of course, but I and a whole lot of others have gotten great satisfaction, great results, great tone and many compliments on the sound through the SA220 system. It's engineered for acoustic guitar and the human voice and reproduces both very well IMO, with no shortage at all of low end. Will it compare to a larger more powerful multi-speaker PA that's properly mixed (that are also a heck of a lot more hassle to transport)? Probably not, but for the soloist -- hence the name -- it sure has a lot of satisfied believers. Not saying this is the case with your experience, but many of the less-than-satisfied users I've read about we're misusing the system in some way -- trying to run keyboards or bass guitar through it, overdriving it, not EQing it properly, etc. Mine's never once let me down yet through hundreds of gigs, indoors, outdoors, whatever. And when I run into a need for something bigger, I'll rent something bigger. Anyway, glad you found something that works for you.

Debut album Time Will Tell now available on all the usual platforms
-- visit SeanLewisMusic
Old 07-28-2014, 06:43 PM

Not sure why I feel the need to defend the Fishstick, but I do.

I've looked at it pretty extensively and on one occasion gave it a pretty good workout to see if it would suit. Now in my case I've ultimately decided that I need just a little more power/flexibility. Thus the pair of compact speakers and mixer.

The Fishman is a brilliant little unit for it's intended purpose, the solo singer guitarist or maybe duo at a pinch. Modest power, super portable it's hard to beat. But as I said above it aint for everyone.

Kris
Old 07-28-2014, 08:42 PM

Comparing a 15-inch QSC unit to the Soloamp isn't exactly apples to apples. I agree with the others. I have both a regular PA setup and the Soloamp and for it's purpose the Soloamp is a great piece of gear. I assume the sound guy didn't have it EQ'd very well.

I play a jumbo Gibson through it and it packs plenty of bass -- in fact, I have to tame the bass down significantly much of the time.

2012 Gibson Hummingbird
2013 Gibson J-200
2009 Martin D18v
2004 Martin SWOMGT
2003 Gibson J-100 xtra
2002 Martin HD-28
2001 Alvarez Yairi DY40c
1997 Larrivee D-03
1987 Yamaha FG-450
Old 07-29-2014, 08:58 AM

No question that the Fishman last week was not EQed well at all, and using a little budget mixer with it made it even less a good choice for an open mic.

I have a friend who uses the Fishman for his solo shows, and once he learned to boost the bass up on his pre-recorded looper-based backing tracks, it sounds fine for the small venues he plays.

2020 Taylor 324ceBE
2017 Taylor 114ce-N
2012 Taylor 310ce
2011 Fender CD140SCE
Ibanez 12 string a/e

72 Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Dot Studio
Epiphone LP Jr
Chinese Strat clone

Kala baritone ukulele
Seagull 'Merlin'
Washburn Mandolin
Luna 'tatoo' a/e ukulele
antique banjolin
Squire J bass
Old 07-29-2014, 09:56 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeBmusic View Post
I know some people rave about the Fishman SA220, and I think if you work solo and work on the EQ for your guitar/mic set up it can be adequate for smallish rooms.

The speaker was a single QSC 15" on a pole. The sound was 400% better than my Taylor plugged into the fishstick last week.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeBmusic View Post
No question that the Fishman last week was not EQed well at all, and using a little budget mixer with it made it even less a good choice for an open mic.

I have a friend who uses the Fishman for his solo shows, and once he learned to boost the bass up on his pre-recorded looper-based backing tracks, it sounds fine for the small venues he plays.
So Mike,

I am not sure I understand the point of your thread.

Steve
Old 07-29-2014, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Conquistador View Post
So Mike,

I am not sure I understand the point of your thread.

Steve
"observations", as in the title. things you could draw from it: no matter how good your guitar itself sounds, a crappy amp set up negates the guitar's ability. a good sound system with someone who knows how to adjust it can make a mediocre guitar sound good.

2020 Taylor 324ceBE
2017 Taylor 114ce-N
2012 Taylor 310ce
2011 Fender CD140SCE
Ibanez 12 string a/e

72 Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Dot Studio
Epiphone LP Jr
Chinese Strat clone

Kala baritone ukulele
Seagull 'Merlin'
Washburn Mandolin
Luna 'tatoo' a/e ukulele
antique banjolin
Squire J bass

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification