The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 07-26-2014, 12:50 PM
Charter Member

Default Schertler Amps?

I'm looking for an acoustic amp I can plug two guitars into, really to use as the main amp for the guitars for a duo. It would be behind us and on occasion would feed into the clubs PA. Also for house parties would be our PA, with one vocal and two acoustics.

I've been looking at the Jam 150 but I'm open to suggestions and direction. I've been up and down the acoustic amp thing and have bought and sold quite a few. The YouTube videos of the Schertler line are impressive.

I have a JBL 510 to use for a monitor or as an extension speaker.
Old 07-26-2014, 01:56 PM
Charter Member

The JAM 150 works well for what you're trying to accomplish. I use mine to do everything you've described. No better acoustic amp out there IMHO.
Old 07-26-2014, 02:35 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JStotes View Post
The JAM 150 works well for what you're trying to accomplish. I use mine to do everything you've described. No better acoustic amp out there IMHO.
Thanks! Ever desire more power?
Old 07-26-2014, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by talkgtr View Post
I'm looking for an acoustic amp I can plug two guitars into, really to use as the main amp for the guitars for a duo. It would be behind us and on occasion would feed into the clubs PA. Also for house parties would be our PA, with one vocal and two acoustics.

I've been looking at the Jam 150 but I'm open to suggestions and direction. I've been up and down the acoustic amp thing and have bought and sold quite a few. The YouTube videos of the Schertler line are impressive.

I have a JBL 510 to use for a monitor or as an extension speaker.
Not much to add except I recently A/Bd a couple different Shertlers against a Fishman Loudbox performer and it wasn't even a contest the Shertler sounded miles better
Old 07-26-2014, 05:42 PM
Charter Member

I do need a little more output at times. I do a couple of things.

First, I use a DI, usually a Red Eye or Archangel DI/Pre to increase the guitar's output using the XLR connection. I prefer the sound of this setup to just plugging directly into the amp. If you have two guitars and a vocal you will have to use one of the guitars in the Hi Z channel.

If I need more than the Jam produces, I simply take the direct out of the amp into a powered speaker. I've been using the Mackie DLM 12 which works very well for this, but pretty much any powered speaker will add enough to do the job. Make sure you have the extra speaker on a pole to get up and over the crown noise. I often will put it high in the air behind me so I hear what the crowd hears and I don't need a monitor.

Another tip I think is worthwhile is to get the amp up off the floor. Many ways to do this. It uncouples the amp from the floor and gives you better bass control. I usually use an Auralex Gramma which works great for my needs.
Old 07-27-2014, 12:41 AM

I have a new BlueStick if you're interested, nice match for a Schertler amp
Old 07-30-2014, 09:39 PM
Charter Member

Sorry I am late to the party, but I had account issues.

I have a Schertler David and am consistently impressed. It is a very clear and transparent sounding amp. I never feel I'm losing any tone or compromised playing through it.

I believe the power rating is conservative as it has ample power to play the outdoors gigs as well as the small resturaunts I play. Granted I wouldn't use it for a loud bar or crowd. I play instrumental music for my gigs with some occasional vocals.
Old 07-31-2014, 10:11 AM

I have the Shertler Jam 400 and love it. The multiple inputs as it turns out, help a lot. The power is enough for a gig of 200 and I can add an extension speaker or even another acoustic amp to spread the sound some. The effects on board are good enough. Though it weighs more than the Jam150 its sure not too heavy to lug around using a cart from Harbor Freight. I have heard rave reviews from those who have heard my music that the Jam 400 is awesome. Its most likely the best combo amp if one wants high end high quality and is not afraid to pay for it. I got mine for $1200 from a dealer in Seattle.
Old 07-31-2014, 12:41 PM
Charter Member

Thanks for the replies and feedback. I'm still trying to justify the extra cost of the Jam 400. That and I may have to buy it without playing through one, I'm still trying to work that out. I kinda hate trying one from one dealer and buying from another, but the local folks who carry Schertler are notorious for staying close to "street retail".

I've been quoted 900 and 1300 respectively (out the door, shipped to mine). Not fantastic prices, but I'm guessing Schertler may be a lower mark up.

Last edited by stephenT; 07-31-2014 at 02:12 PM.
Old 07-31-2014, 12:59 PM

I bought the Jam 150 from Django Books.
Excellent amplifier.
They sell the Jam 400 for about $1300.
Old 08-01-2014, 06:55 AM

Love my old Unico.
McPherson: Early Kevin Michael Proto
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc
Old 08-01-2014, 10:17 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomana View Post
I have a new BlueStick if you're interested, nice match for a Schertler amp
Thanks but I use soundhole pickups, Sunrise and just bought the Schertler mag.
Old 08-09-2014, 02:08 PM
Charter Member

Default Nad

Finally had a chance to play the Schertler, Maple St. Guitars had the Jam 400 in stock.

I've bought and sold so many acoustic amps, never been all that happy with any of them.

The Schertler Jam 400 is the best sounding acoustic amp I've played, so I left with it. BTW, it is heavy but the sound is fantastic, best I've heard.
Old 08-10-2014, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by talkgtr View Post
Finally had a chance to play the Schertler, Maple St. Guitars had the Jam 400 in stock.

I've bought and sold so many acoustic amps, never been all that happy with any of them.

The Schertler Jam 400 is the best sounding acoustic amp I've played, so I left with it. BTW, it is heavy but the sound is fantastic, best I've heard.
I'd love to hear what it is that the Jam 400 has that your better amps to date have lacked.
Old 08-10-2014, 07:17 PM

double post whoops

Last edited by rockabilly69; 08-10-2014 at 07:25 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification