The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 08-19-2013, 01:58 PM

Default Schertler AG6 Magnetico pickup?

It looks fairly new but I thought I'd take a stab on any feedback on Schertler's AG6 Magnetico pickup. Anyone try it?

It's a soundhole pickup that has a wee condenser mic that plugs into it as an option.

http://www.schertler.com/pickups/mag...es/ag6-guitar/
Old 08-28-2013, 10:52 AM

Hey Bobo Fret!

I'm surprised there hasn't been much interest in this pickup. I really like the idea and the audio clips sound great! Can't wait to hear what the folks here on AGF think. Where are all you pickup geeks!? This thing looks awesome!

Fingerstyle Guitar ~ Hammered Dulcimer ~ Clawhammer Banjo ~ Diatonic Harmonica ~ Anglo Concertina

Old 08-28-2013, 12:46 PM

it does look/sound interesting, but finding Schertler products in the US can be difficult and when you do find them, they are very expensive. Googling this pup... nothing comes up other than the manufacturer's page
that's me on guitar
Old 08-28-2013, 02:06 PM

Some on ebay around $200 for basic unit. Sensor orb condenser mike are add ons. Does look interesting but as said, Schertler is hard to get and expensive usually.
2001 Michael Keller Koa Baby
2014 Godin Inuk
2012 Deering B6 Openback Banjo
2012 Emerald Acoustic Doubleneck
2012 Rainsong JM1000 Black Ice
2009 Wechter Pathmaker 9600 LTD
1982 Yairi D-87 Doubleneck
1987 Ovation Collectors
1993 Ovation Collectors
1967 J-45 Gibson
1974 20th Annivers. Les Paul Custom
Old 09-07-2013, 12:34 PM

I kind of gave up on this thread after awhile Didn't know anyone had replied.

Anyone out there actually try this pickup? Any of our Euro friends?
Old 09-07-2013, 01:03 PM
Charter Member

The clips sound great, I'd love to try one. I see one on Ebay international for $250 us.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=COzDn7WSQgU
Old 09-08-2013, 01:15 PM
Charter Member

Any idea if the mag and mic output in stereo, or is it blended to mono?
Old 09-08-2013, 02:33 PM

This pickup does look very interesting but I would need some actual reviews before I tried to pick one up. I did listen to a few clips online and personally I don't think the magnetic pickup alone sounds that great. This was just one video but I have heard better. The mic on the other hand sounds excellent. Pairing this system with a SBT pickup could be ideal for me.. I also like how the magnetic pickup can be removed easily.

Also, I am not 100% sure but it seems as though this is a mono system when the mic is added. I watched a video on youtube that had subtitles and the player mentioned controlling the level of the mic with the controls on the magnetic pickup. All I know is that this system seems to meet my needs. It's removable, has no batteries in the guitar and has a mono blend making it possible to use a SBT out another jack for a neat set up.
Old 09-09-2013, 11:22 AM

From the pictures, it looks like there are two volume dials, one for mag and one for condenser. Looks like a stereo jack too.

In the description of the actual pickup it describes it as "an electrodynamic moving coil contact microphone and an external condenser microphone". Anyone know what that first part means? I guess that's probably the "new technology" they're referring to, although it may just be marketing speak for something that already exists in some form.
Old 09-09-2013, 12:51 PM
Charter Member

There will be two add-ons available, the mic and a soundboard transducer. The contact microphone is the soundboard transducer.
Old 09-09-2013, 03:26 PM

I emailed Schertler last night and received a response today. I have to admit that I am pretty excited about this pickup system. Anyway, I will give some of the details that were given to me in their response. First off, apparently more demo videos are in the works which will be great to hear. I know there's a video on youtube introducing the pickup but it sounds very natural so it's hard to tell if it's just the mangetico or the condenser added in as well.

As some of you have mentioned, the magnet is similar to others on the market but it's also a different technology. Each string has its own magnet and coil with its own preamplification.

I asked if the pickup is mono and this is what I was told... "Yes it is a jack mono 3.5mm for the microphone... the volume of the magnetic part is the general, the ext volume allows you to add the second microphone, connections are JACK 3.5 mono-JACK 6.3 stereo in order to switch the pickup on at the moment of plugging in it"

Lastly, apparently there is no hum with this pickup. However, I saw a video online and it sounded like the reviewer was getting hum. Either way I am wanting to try this out.
Old 09-09-2013, 06:08 PM

I had emailed them awhile back asking what other form factors this system may eventually take. They alluded to other forms in the works but didn't give any details. I never anything back. It's been awhile so I suspect it slipped past them. I'll try again.
Old 09-09-2013, 08:04 PM

Bobo Fret, definitely let us know if you get a reply. I might ask a few more questions as well. I hate when neat products come out that are not very common around here, it's hard to hear samples or opinions. Hopefully some reviews pop up soon.
Old 09-10-2013, 03:23 PM

I was just thinking it over some more and it would be interesting to see how the contact microphone sounds with the magnetico instead of the condenser. It would be awesome if Schertler would try to market their products a little more. Even their Lydia undersaddle microphone system looks neat but having only one or two youtube videos doesn't help.
Old 09-11-2013, 06:27 AM

I received a reply from Schertler:

Hello Steven,

Thanks for the E-mail.

At the next Namm show we will present also the replacement series for most of the existing hum-buckers and single-coils for electric guitars and electric basses.

For anything else you can contact also directly our US distributors Eastman Strings.
The person in charge is mr. Tim Nelson who is reading the E-mail in copy.

Best regards
Drago
Schertler SA

Sounds interesting. Might be a cool after market alternative archtop pup. They desparately need more demos though. Better chance of that (and availability) with Eastman as a distributer.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification