The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 07-11-2014, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rschultz View Post
No recordings. Maybe I'm oversimplifing this, but you can mix each one as much or as little as you like. I think they are very different in their liveliness, if that is a word. True they are both very natural sounding EQ wise. But very different dynamically. When I first paired them together, I was like 80% K&K and 20% lyric... just wanting the Lyric to bring out the high end a bit more... frosting over the top. But I'm moving more toward the lyric because of how dynamic it is especially in a band situation. I'm probably 60/40 lyric now. Sometimes I cut the bass out of the lyric. They are both fairly mid-heavy, so cutting mids out of each one helps a lot. Probably depends a lot on the venue you are in.
I really want to give this a shot. I just wish the K&K didn't have to be superglued. I do feel as though I would set it like you though. I don't think a 50/50 mix would be what I want. I had always thought that a 60/40 mix in favour of the K&K would be best but honestly the lyric sounds great on its own, it just needs a hint of enhanced bass.
Old 07-11-2014, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petty1818 View Post
I really want to give this a shot. I just wish the K&K didn't have to be superglued. I do feel as though I would set it like you though. I don't think a 50/50 mix would be what I want. I had always thought that a 60/40 mix in favour of the K&K would be best but honestly the lyric sounds great on its own, it just needs a hint of enhanced bass.
Yeah, Lyric is weak in the bass, and K&K is weak in the treble... so they match well.

So you've tried the Lyric? Just use the double sided tape for the K&K to get a feel for it. Signal strength will be less, but it will give you an idea on what it sounds like. Then if you like it... superglue it. I'm sure there are threads that compare the superglue version vs double sided tape. But it's a non-permanent way to try it out.
'13 Jaffrey #26 - Malaysian Blackwood!
'21 Gretsch 5622
'22 Furch Red Pure G-LR - Barbera Soloist
ST-300 Mini + DIY mic preamp
Old 07-12-2014, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rschultz View Post
Yeah, Lyric is weak in the bass, and K&K is weak in the treble... so they match well.

So you've tried the Lyric? Just use the double sided tape for the K&K to get a feel for it. Signal strength will be less, but it will give you an idea on what it sounds like. Then if you like it... superglue it. I'm sure there are threads that compare the superglue version vs double sided tape. But it's a non-permanent way to try it out.
That's a good idea. I played a show with my celtic band last night, which is fairly high energy. I hated the sound of my Fishman Matrix and it's time that I try something else. My friend has a Taylor with the same pickup but with the barn door controls and his guitar cut through the mix so much better. Mine has always sounded muddy. I often wonder if there was some botched with the installation.

With that said, I find that at most shows it tends to be somewhat of a rush to set up and I wonder if the Anthem might not be a better solution for a quick and easy plug and play method.
Old 07-12-2014, 03:59 PM

Quote:
That's a good idea. I played a show with my celtic band last night, which is fairly high energy. I hated the sound of my Fishman Matrix and it's time that I try something else. My friend has a Taylor with the same pickup but with the barn door controls and his guitar cut through the mix so much better. Mine has always sounded muddy. I often wonder if there was some botched with the installation.

With that said, I find that at most shows it tends to be somewhat of a rush to set up and I wonder if the Anthem might not be a better solution for a quick and easy plug and play method.
The Anthem is definitely simpler since it's an on-board mix, single mono output. Honestly if I didn't have a thing against UST's, I'd probably use that - it's a great pickup. And I agree with Doug that the UST doesn't change the sound of the guitar in a noticeable way. And even the infamous UST quack is masked fairly well in the Anthem due to the mic taking a good portion of the sound. So my reasons for not wanting to use a UST are probably not all that valid.
'21 Gretsch 5622
Old 07-12-2014, 07:45 PM

Here's a link to the thread referred to here a few times. My thinking has changed a bit since then. In a nut shell, I used to have the K&K be the bulk of the sound and just add the Lyric over the top. But now I'm reversing that such that the Lyric is the bulk and I just use the K&K to add some fullness to the bass... more details in the other thread to follow.
'21 Gretsch 5622
Old 07-30-2014, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Petty,

Here's a thread that discusses tape vs super glue. My 2 cents. If the K&K is going to be the only pickup... or even the primary pickup (in a dual source), then it should be super glued. However, if it's to augment another pickup... like the Lyric, I think it would probably work. I'm considering this on a guitar right now, I don't necessarily want to superglue the K&K on in case I want to sell it later. Since the Lyric will be the primary source, I think taped on K&K will give me what I want. Give it a shot.

Ryan
'21 Gretsch 5622
Old 07-31-2014, 05:30 AM

Talking

This exact topic has been on my mind a lot lately. I picked up a grand symphony without electronics. My first thought was trinity into solstice. But then I started thinking...... Had K&K in my grand concert and had feedback issues at times. Looked at the anthem, then amulet m and have been wondering what pairing with a lyric. I thought about an LB6. Someone was kind enough to explain there may be a phase issue. Checked with Baggs and they confirmed 2 of 4 were out of phase on the LB6, but then went on to talk about pairings like the duet that sounded good. Baggs thought the lyric and lb6 were a good match that wouldn't have the issues when they tried it developing the anthem. Something to do with splitting the frequencies on the anthem. So what do I know.....nothing. Still wondering about the phase issue or if there is a better option that's feedback resistant.....subscribed.
Old 02-28-2023, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by akafloyd View Post
Yeah, I kinda don't get it. There are really good dual source systems available that have good track records, why not use one of those??
Because most acoustic guitars come with the **** Fishman installed, these days.
That's why I'm here looking for a way to MIX the LYRIC with the existing Fishman UST,
in the guitar, without wonky stereo output setups or multi-cords.

-Rod

Last edited by RHytonen; 02-28-2023 at 12:13 PM. Reason: spelling/typos & clarity
Old 02-28-2023, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by akagilligan View Post
This exact topic has been on my mind a lot lately. I picked up a grand symphony without electronics. My first thought was trinity into solstice. But then I started thinking...... Had K&K in my grand concert and had feedback issues at times. Looked at the anthem, then amulet m and have been wondering what pairing with a lyric. I thought about an LB6. Someone was kind enough to explain there may be a phase issue. Checked with Baggs and they confirmed 2 of 4 were out of phase on the LB6, but then went on to talk about pairings like the duet that sounded good. Baggs thought the lyric and lb6 were a good match that wouldn't have the issues when they tried it developing the anthem. Something to do with splitting the frequencies on the anthem. So what do I know.....nothing. Still wondering about the phase issue or if there is a better option that's feedback resistant.....subscribed.
I’ve experimented a bit with pairing the Lyric and a passive LB6. I don’t have a legitimate blender, so it’s been a bit of a PITA to rig something up. I’m running the LB6 into a Baggs PADI, with the output of the PADI going to the Aux In of my Zoom A1-Four. The Lyric goes to the A1-Four’s main input so that I can use it’s virtual EQs to tone shape the Lyric signal. The combined signal shows up at the A1-Four’s output.

I use the PADI’s phase switch to try and determine the best phase relationship between the two pickups. It’s pretty difficult to decide which phase relationship I like best (unlike blending with a regular UST). The results are decent enough, but I get better results, with respect to tone, with the Anthem SL in another guitar. The big advantage of the LB6 is industrial strength feedback rejection when used solo.

PS LOL. I couldn’t think of any non-wonky way to combine the Lyric system with an active Fishman system. That must be why I responded to a post from 2014.

Last edited by guitaniac; 02-28-2023 at 03:11 PM.
Old 03-01-2023, 07:32 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
First acoustic I ever sawm with a pickup. Belonged to a guy I met in the 70's.

His guitar had a Barcus Berry pickup attached to the underside of the top with bee's wax.

K&K is only $100. so might try one with bee's wax. Just spit balling here.

Hey, maybe a spitball will work.

I bought a K&K for one of my acoustics. Just can't bring myself to install it.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification