The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 12-29-2016, 04:38 PM
Guest 33123

I just learned the final section so now I can play the whole thing. I need to work out the slow spots and then stitch it all together but I'm seeing the light at the end of the tunnel now.
Old 12-29-2016, 10:46 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Doug View Post
I just learned the final section so now I can play the whole thing. I need to work out the slow spots and then stitch it all together but I'm seeing the light at the end of the tunnel now.
Good Doug!

I might throw a recording of Mississippi Blues in here sometime over the next couple of weeks. I'm not getting too much practice time lately.

Sad Moments {Marianne Vedral cover}:

My SoundCloud page

Some steel strings, some nylon.
Old 12-31-2016, 05:11 PM

Today I started on Sister Golden Hair, by America. My lunch jam buddy picked the song but I'm happy he did because I'll use barre chords. Previously I toyed with the F barre but didn't use it in a song, therefore it wasn't given much of a chance.

I know many get very frustrated when getting going on barre's so I'm going to just assume that's going to happen and take my time.
Old 12-31-2016, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WonderMonkey View Post
Today I started on Sister Golden Hair, by America. My lunch jam buddy picked the song but I'm happy he did because I'll use barre chords. Previously I toyed with the F barre but didn't use it in a song, therefore it wasn't given much of a chance.

I know many get very frustrated when getting going on barre's so I'm going to just assume that's going to happen and take my time.
Great song. One of their more coherent lyrics.
Old 01-02-2017, 03:21 PM
Guest 33123

I finally played it all the way through in one shot with no stopping. Yay me! One minor slow down but no errors. I actually made it all the way to the end quite cleanly. So very happy! Now to get it up to tempo.
Old 01-02-2017, 05:30 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WonderMonkey View Post

That's a great song. I used to play that when I was a kid....

My SoundCloud page

Old 01-07-2017, 03:24 PM
Guest 33123

Spent a good part of the day working on the tune. Still rough as ever. Starting to think I'm never going to smooth this song out. Ugh.
Old 01-13-2017, 10:06 AM
Guest 33123

Starting to improve. I've stopped obsessing and now I just play it through a couple of times everyday. It's getting better, not perfect but better.
Old 01-13-2017, 09:07 PM
Charter Member

I'm going to get back to Lutrell and The Entertainer. I took a break from those two, worked on some improvs, Mississippi Blues, Deep River Blues and Cincinnati Rag. I'm going to work them all in together and see what shakes out. I have so much stuff I could work on it isn't funny, but I'm having fun getting nothing done......

My SoundCloud page

Old 01-14-2017, 03:06 PM

Default Jim Croce Tunes

I enjoyed his music when I was first learning to play but between him and Maury, his partner, my undeveloped ear couldn't sort out who was doing what. Now I can hear though it so I'll be taking on I've Got A Name as my next new cover. I managed to get the progression and basic picking down today so it's a matter of laying the lyrics over top.
Old 01-14-2017, 05:27 PM

Can someone recommend a song that makes use of most of the neck? I'm trying to familiarize myself with some new chords/sounds

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-14-2017, 05:50 PM

Blackbird will take you to the 12th fret in diads (double-stops).
Old 01-23-2017, 01:02 PM
Guest 33123

Well it's time for me to move onto Maple Leaf Rag and put Red Carpet Rag into my repertoire. I still need to crank up the tempo and then record it but I'm generally satisfied with it. Took a long time to get it to this point. Tough piece but Maple Leaf Rag looks 10 times worse. Why oh why do I do this to myself?
Old 01-23-2017, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitar View Post
I enjoyed his music when I was first learning to play but between him and Maury, his partner, my undeveloped ear couldn't sort out who was doing what. Now I can hear though it so I'll be taking on I've Got A Name as my next new cover. I managed to get the progression and basic picking down today so it's a matter of laying the lyrics over top.
If you can isolate the stereo channels on the original, you'll often find that Jim is panned hard to one side and Maury to the other so you can isolate either of them. That's what I do
Old 01-23-2017, 01:52 PM
Charter Member

After decades of it being my un-achievable favorite acoustic piece, I have committed myself to mastering Midsummer's Daydream.

I found a 4-part Youtube tutorial which is spectacular and which made me think "I really might be able to do this".

I've finished part 1 of the tutorial and am now just practicing those parts.

I am super stoked by how well it went......granted this is the easier part of the song, but it's so encouraging to me just to have the possibility of playing this.

So......I practiced the opening part dozens (and dozens) of times last night.

000-15 / GC7 / GA3-12 / SB2-C / SB2-Cp / AVC-11MHx / AC-240

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write