The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 12-01-2010, 10:29 PM
Charter Member

Default Cordoba Orchestra Crossover Review

Cordoba Orchestra SP/IN:
Solid Spruce top/Laminated Rosewood Back and sides
Fishman Sonicore P/U

Observations:
On merit, the guitar is great. It is light. The finish is thin and not overdone so as to muffle the guitar, making very responsive. The spruce has a very nice tight and uniform grain. The fit and finish rival some of the best production production guitars I have had my hands on. The binding and trim is beautiful. The tuners are aestetically pleasing and function very well.

Playing it:
As noted very responsive and easy to get different expressive sounds
Tone is very balanced with nice trebles, strong mids, and nice bass overtones with a nice kind of compressed or focused resonance. It projects very well. I have played some boxie classicals and this is definately not one of them. The guitar has a nice brightness or snappiness rounded out by a great midrange and bass response.
Playability is great, relatively fast, with no barriers to executing fingerings.
The Pickup is biased to the mids, with the trebles being a little weak but still reproduced okay enough to work it out with an EQ.

I'll likely order the Humicase to storage. It came with a gig bag ,but I like cases for humification.

How I got here ( if you care...):
A couple of weeks ago I decided to replace my NS42ce which I really like with a NS72ce, looking to gain some responsiveness and some tonal depth. I had played a 72 before and felt it did that. However, sticker shock hit me even looking used and I considered other options.

I decided to try a Cordoba Orchestra Pro after being somewhat impressed by their classic guitars. Long story short, dealer foul up, I got a Orchestra with laminated sides and back. The foul up really presented an opportunity to be turned off about the guitar.

Last edited by Turp; 12-02-2010 at 11:45 AM.
Old 12-02-2010, 08:18 PM
Charter Member

Played this out at an open mic tonight straight in to a DI to portable Peavy PA. It was suprisingly balanced and natural sounding. I could perceive nice overtones. As I mentioned this guitar is responsive which accentuates the expressive strength of nylon. There were quite a few times I could feel the whole guitar vibrating. Softly or with pretty sharp attacks, it did very well.
Old 12-03-2010, 06:08 AM

Sounds like you picked a winner. I have had nothing but positive experiences with Cordoba.
Old 12-03-2010, 09:28 PM

I bought a Cordoba Flamenco many years ago. Cypress sides and back, ebony fretboard with a bone nut--acutally, it is an older version of this beauty.

Initially, I had a tough time with the cypress. Wow! Smells like very strong soap, but does have a beautiful sound. My only complaint is that the stock tuners are garbage. One of these days I will replace them with some Fustero's or Waverly's. For the money, I feel like I got an exceptionally good deal.

Hamer Korina Artist
Hamer Daytona
Martin 000-28EC
Cordoba 1a Flamenco
Fender American Vintage Tele 52 RI

DIY Home
Old 12-04-2010, 01:33 AM

I played of of those before. I was a thin stage model. Sounded pretty good.
Do you have any pictures?
www.cornerstoneguitar.com

Ukuleles...
www.cornerstoneukes.com
Old 12-04-2010, 08:08 PM
Charter Member

Some detailed pics. I'd love to have been more formal by setting up some lights and using my better camera, but here's some quick ones. This guitar has some great detail in trim for its pricepoint and the finish rivals anything I've seen.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical