The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 11-06-2017, 04:12 AM

Default Takamine C128 (1977)

Anyone have experience about Vintage Takamine guitars? I have Takamine C128 from 1977 and i like its deep worm sound but want to know exact body dementions and wood materials
Old 11-08-2017, 07:40 PM

I got a used Takamine- I think the model was 124- at G.C. about 1998- for half price of whatever the retail was- I think I paid about $125 and the strings were the original with no sign of wear.

It was a huge step up from the Korean guitar I learned on in class at LA City College several years earlier, and had originally paid just as much for. I wasn't ready to spend $250 for a guitar so the Takamine at half price was a good find for me. I could feel the lighter weight and hear the difference in resonance from the student guitar. I was quite happy with it, until it eventually got neck bow over a decade later- and I'd filed the bridge bone down as low as it would go.

By then I'd played a Cordoba in a store and knew they had truss rods and so rather than have to give a guitar up after a dozen years or so- I've gone in that direction. I've since discovered that covering the back of the neck with poly urethane can really resist neck bow for awhile. I had sealed the fingerboard of the Take- which looked a little bogus but also arrested it for awhile.

I like the brand- the rosette especially was appealing, but my own feeling is that they mostly stayed toward making the same guitars with the same woods-spruce and meranti- the make them on the lighter side with good resonance, but give me cedar and better mahogany or rosewood any day. Yamaha seems much the same and pump out guitars that vast numbers of people enjoy, yet for less cost than the Takimines- But I've never had a Yamaha classical and probably too many guitars to try one now.

I think yours is a higher end guitar than mine was. Like a lot of them, this 128 model still uses a spruce top and the back and sides are rosewood- I don't know if they were those things that far back- but the brand uses spruce for the top a lot more than others I think.

Last edited by harpon; 11-08-2017 at 07:55 PM.
Old 11-09-2017, 12:18 AM

Thank you I'm finally sure that it is an all solid guitar with spruce top and rosewood back and sides andhave a special rosewood smell

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical