The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 05-27-2016, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by H2O View Post
I would be using it to record acoustic guitar. Basically it would be used like a "notepad". Do you have a make in model you would recommend or more information on where to start looking?
if that's the case, any phone os (ios, android, etc) have apps that function as a notepad type of recording function. the standalone (zoom, etc) would yield better quality recordings, but if this is just to get ideas down, to record later on a daw, then these apps work fine. some are free (with ads) and some may cost a couple bucks.
Old 05-27-2016, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmoss74 View Post
if that's the case, any phone os (ios, android, etc) have apps that function as a notepad type of recording function. the standalone (zoom, etc) would yield better quality recordings, but if this is just to get ideas down, to record later on a daw, then these apps work fine. some are free (with ads) and some may cost a couple bucks.
I would go this route and leave the cassettes to the hipsters
Old 05-27-2016, 10:02 AM
Charter Member

Location: alpha quadrant of the Milky Way galaxy, planet Earth, upstate NY

Here's one for $79.95. Has a built in speaker so you can hear back what you played. I had something similar to this for years and it functioned well as a notepad. They also sell blank cassette tapes.
http://www.vermontcountrystore.com/s...sette+recorder

Last edited by KarenB; 05-27-2016 at 11:38 AM.
Old 05-27-2016, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antaren View Post
Here's one for $79.95. Has a built in speaker so you can hear back what you played. I had something similar to this for years and it functioned well as a notepad. They also sell bland cassette tapes.
http://www.vermontcountrystore.com/s...sette+recorder
I have one of those I bought in a thrift store for about $4 that worked fine. I'd give it to the OP if I thought he was close by.
Old 11-10-2016, 09:06 AM

Hi ya Water,

i'm fashionably late as per usual...... so have you found what you were looking for? Couple years back i saw a Korg CR 4 on a coffee table at a house party and just by chance, the very next day, I managed to find a brandspankingnewone (unpacked, tried once, repackaged and shelved for 10 years.... no joke!) thru ebay classifieds for an insane low price.

This is one guitar specific cassette recorder (if of course you have pick ups to plug into it) that i can truly recommend; maintenance and all possible negatives aside.

There is a ton of info about it on the web.

Check it out.

mAd
Old 11-10-2016, 09:26 AM

I don't know what they would go for these days, but I have owned and used my Sony TCD-5M for many years. This is a high quality cassette recorder that was used for a long time to record field audio for broadcast, long before digital came along. Mine was used to record calibrated sound / noise in the field for later analysis. Although I have not used it in years, it is a beast that just keeps on going. I am not willing to part with it.
http://transom.org/2005/sony-tc-d5m/

For notepad use, a digital device or even an iPhone with Garage Band would likely be easier and more convenient.
Old 11-10-2016, 08:23 PM

Default Cassette Recorder

Let me ask you this: did you grow up with cassettes? I'm not asking this to be condescending. Because in case you didnt, my suggestion would be to reconsider. Cassettes suck in my opinion, and the only reason we used them back in the 70s and 80s was because that's all we had, other than records. I'm saying this as a guy in his mid forties who considers himself above average on the hipster-meter in his age bracket. I recently went back to collecting vinyl records and prefer them over CDs and mp3s. But there's no way I will ever feel compelled to dig out the cassette nightmare. They hiss, they feel more plasticky-yucky than CDs, the tape gets tangled up all the time, and the time you will spend winding forward or backward in search of a song will drive you nuts. Old school hi-fi has its place for sure, but in my mind, pragmatic usage like recording guitar stuff is not one of them.

Martin America 1
Martin 000-15sm
Recording King Dirty 30s RPS-9 TS
Taylor GS Mini
Baton Rouge 12-string guitar
Martin L1XR Little Martin
1933 Epiphone Olympic
1971 square neck Dobro
Old 12-02-2016, 08:25 AM

There are a few for sale here on Kijiji. Just enter "Search Kijiji Canada" on Google and you'll get the home page, then go to "Audio". With luck you may find someone who will ship.
Old 12-02-2016, 02:34 PM
Charter Member

Check out second hand junk shops .... it can be fun. In days past there were some major recording projects that were ran through a cassette to give the recording a analog compression feel.

Follow The Yellow Brick Road

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD