The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 12-07-2010, 01:56 PM

Default Saddle/bridge amplification impact

I also posted this on the Taylor page.

I amplify my NS-34CE less than half my playing time. I thought my low E was pretty weak amplified so called Taylor to discuss it. Allan gave trouble shooting recommendations and also said there is a recurring issue with saddle contact via warping and/or a "cavity." He recommended a local luthier who jumped right on it.

He tried a couple things including changing a transducer. He tried to rework the saddle and ended up changing it. After it was proclaimed healed you can get more sound out of the E by pushing down at the saddle after the string is picked. Doesn't seem too correct to me.

I typically sit on a stool a couple feet in front of my amp and a little off the side. I also don't play with much volume. E still sounds stronger through the guitar than through the amp. My hearing is pretty low quality due to my career so it may be an internal tonal response.

It did sound stronger through one of their amps at the shop. Should I take it back and bring my amp?
2010 Taylor NS-34-CE
Old 12-07-2010, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXBart View Post
[COLOR=black]It did sound stronger through one of their amps at the shop. Should I take it back and bring my amp?
If the sound was more even at the shop, it could be that the EQ was set differently. You might also check the EQ settings on your guitar. You should get fairly even volume across the strings with the EQ set flat on both guitar and amp.

But since you've said that pressing on one end of the saddle changes the amplified volume, I'd say something isn't even; it could be the saddle slot, the UST, the saddle, or some combination. It may also be that the saddle isn't uniform in thickness and is getting hung up that way, although that seems less likely. I'm sorry to hear of your problem and hope you can get it cleared up quickly.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical