The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 12-03-2010, 05:05 PM

Default How to brighten the sound

My old Washburn projects very nicely, but is a bit on the boomy side on the bass end. I've seen different responses about just how my guitar was built, i.e. solid construction vs solid top/laminated back and sides, so I don't know if there is some laminated construction issue (my impression of most laminated guitars is a lack of treble response).

Anyway, I'm wondering if anyone has some suggestions about how one might brighten or increase the treble response of a nearly 20 year old cedar/rosewood guitar.
G.V. Rubio Estudio
Rainsong Shorty
Old 12-03-2010, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musictag View Post
My old Washburn projects very nicely, but is a bit on the boomy side on the bass end. I've seen different responses about just how my guitar was built, i.e. solid construction vs solid top/laminated back and sides, so I don't know if there is some laminated construction issue (my impression of most laminated guitars is a lack of treble response).

Anyway, I'm wondering if anyone has some suggestions about how one might brighten or increase the treble response of a nearly 20 year old cedar/rosewood guitar.
Hhave you tried carbon trebles? Many different sting manufactures have them Savarez, D'Addrio are just a few who make them. I hear they greatly increase the sound of trebles. Head over to stringsbymail.com they should have them there.
Old 12-03-2010, 06:41 PM

Two ways to brighten the sound.

1) Get a little more zing to the treble strings by using high-tension carbons such as Savarez, Galli, Hannabach.

2) Get a better guitar.

In building nylon string guitars, bass comes easy, treble is difficult. The best guitars are distingished from lesser instruments by how full, projective and sustaining their tone is in the top octave.

Steel-string guitars are almost the opposite. Bright is easy but full, rich bass is hard to achieve.
Singing the I've Wasted My Whole Life Blues
---Warren Malone "Whole Life Blues"

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical