The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 12-09-2003, 04:53 PM

Default Significant accomplishments?

Anyone made a significant accomplishment in their playing lately? A technique or song you've finally mastered?

My favorite song is "The Pretty Milkmaid" on Pat Kirtley's Irish Guitar CD. It is a beautiful melody and his arrangement is awesome! I finally learned it recently. I haven't exactly 'nailed' it yet but it's starting to sound pretty good!

Anyone else?

'96 Taylor 514C
'97 Taylor 514CW
'99 Taylor K14C
'06 Taylor GSMC
'03 Gretsch Nashville Classic
Old 12-09-2003, 08:39 PM

I'd like to hear that one! Send me an Mp3 of it, if you get a chance! Thanks!!

My YouTube

Facebook

"Only by becoming acquainted with your own self,
can you gain the composure to write original music"

Michael Hedges ♫
Old 12-09-2003, 09:23 PM
AGF Bouncer

This is really boring but.. hehe

I've always had this problem with up-picking and picking between strings on fast single string (solo) passages.

Well I've been working on it like CRAZY and it's finally starting to come together.

I reject your reality and substitute my own.
Old 12-09-2003, 09:38 PM

I recently learned an arrangement of 'Hewlett' by Keith Hinchliffe, a UK guitarist. It had one or two nasty stretches and some passages where I had to work out the right hand pick pattern (vs. just winging it) in order to keep my fingers from getting tripped up.

The arrangement has an A part, and a B part, but no variations on either of those. What I'm trying to do now is see if I can think of any embellishments or anything that I can add to it on the repeats to add a little variety. We'll see.

The significance of this song for me is that it is the 1st tune I have learned that features non-linear melody, which has been a bit of a hard thing for me to grasp. (no pun intended)

The current song I'm working on (for this Sunday) is Steve Baughman's DADGAD arrangement of 'Angels from the Realm of Glory'. I just need to smooth this one out a bit and it will be ready to go. The tough parts on this tune are measures 7 (right hand difficulty) and 11 (some stretches) . Fortunately for me, there are no other guitarists in the audience I regularly play to.

I have the Pat Kirtley book and hope to start working on some of those soon, once I've had a chance to listen to the CD to see which tracks I like the best.
Old 12-10-2003, 12:41 AM

Working on a few blues pieces. Most recently, from the Dipped in Chocolate cd, a tune called Sweet Angel, by Janna Britton and Abbeville. Not too tuff, but I am trying to figure it out by myself, mostly. Also working on Jerry Jeff Walkers Mr. Bojangles. That walking bass on the D chord is one tuff stretch for me. Plus, I am not great at barre chords yet, so the Fm-Bm is a bit fuzzy still. Still working on that one. I have faith. I will get there
Taylor 110 GB
Ovation Patriot
Old 12-10-2003, 12:42 AM

I'm wouldn't say anything REALLY significant as in any new songs, but after the longest 15 year plateau I've been on, I just completed my first semester as a jazz guitar major in school and just went thru the "jury" tonite and this is what is significant for me:

1: My timing has improved in a BIG WAY.
2: My familiarity to what the notes are on each fret on each string up to the 5th fret is solid.
3: My Major and Harmonic minor scales in 3 different positions are fluid.
4: My sight reading has gotten quicker.
5: My understanding of music theory is very strong.
Old 12-10-2003, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Fngrstyl
I'd like to hear that one! Send me an Mp3 of it, if you get a chance! Thanks!!
Chad, I don't have mine recorded yet but if you like Celtic fingerstyle guitar Pat's Irish Guitar CD is a must have! He has an incredible talent for arranging, not to mention his playing!

'96 Taylor 514C
'97 Taylor 514CW
'99 Taylor K14C
'06 Taylor GSMC
Old 12-10-2003, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by stevemc

He has an incredible talent for arranging, not to mention his playing!
I know you're talking about someone else...but

don't you wish Mark Hanson would put out a book called something like 1001 Arranging Ideas for Guitar or something along those lines?
Indeed, there is something in the current DC/NY culture that equates a lack of unthinking boosterism with a lack of patriotism. As if not being drunk on the latest Dow gains is somehow un-American. - Arianna Huffington May 11, 2009
Old 12-10-2003, 09:38 AM

Default Re: Significant accomplishments?

Quote:
Originally posted by stevemc
Anyone made a significant accomplishment in their playing lately? A technique or song you've finally
I've already mentioned this in another thread, but this year was a milestone year for me, guitar-wise. I found a really good teacher, set some goals, and deliberately set out to get off the plateau I had been on for way too long. It worked. I don't know if I can point to any one thing that was the "accomplishment" - it's the overall package of theory, technique, style, breaking old habits, separating the hands and fingers to work independently, etc. Yesterday, I asked my wife, who just happens to be my most "honest" critic, if she can tell any difference in my playing. She said that, compared to a year ago, my playing is more versatile, fluid, and well-rounded. She said that she rarely thinks to herself, "he always plays that same old thing" anymore. That, to me, is an accomplishment.

And yes, Mapletrees, I wish Mr. Hanson had a book like that. One of my 2 main original goals this year was to be able to be able to so a guitar arrangement given a simple melody line. I'm certainly no Alex de Grassi, but I'm off to a good start towards my goal. With what I've learned this year, I see that I will be "learning" this as long as I'm playing the guitar. There's a lot you can do with 6 strings, 20+ frets, 10 +- fingers, and a handful of tunings.

--jam
Old 12-10-2003, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by mapletrees

I know you're talking about someone else...but

don't you wish Mark Hanson would put out a book called something like 1001 Arranging Ideas for Guitar or something along those lines?
Yes, Mark is great. I have a couple of his books (at your suggestion a couple of years ago).

'96 Taylor 514C
'97 Taylor 514CW
'99 Taylor K14C
'06 Taylor GSMC

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell