The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 02-22-2018, 10:48 PM

Default Ding repair

2016 Martin, and this thing is a scratch and dent magnet, don't even look at it funny.

My cell phone was on an end table on a stack of newspaper and magazines, slid off, hit the carpeted floor and cartwheeled-accelerated laterally 3 feet into the top of my Martin leaving a very large dent and ringing a beautiful G6th.

I was able to use the wet rag/soldering iron trick and got it half way better. In one picture you can barely see three micro cracks which probably helped let the steam get down to the bare wood.

It doesn't appear any of the wood underneath the finish was cracked or splintered, although it does appear the steam raised the grain north and south of the ding, too.

Would any more steam help, or cause more problems raising the grain above and below the ding along the grain?

What about the 3 micro cracks? Drop of thinner or retarder? Then polish?

Thanks, in advance.
Old 02-23-2018, 12:11 AM

You cannot lift a dent with steam with finish still applied, possibly the heat alone may have relaxed the fibres a small amount, but to steam a dent you need to remove the finish first

Personally I would leave it alone, it can become a really big job if something goes wrong.

Steve
Maton Messiah
Taylor 814CE
Old 02-23-2018, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mirwa View Post
You cannot lift a dent with steam with finish still applied, possibly the heat alone may have relaxed the fibres a small amount, but to steam a dent you need to remove the finish first

Personally I would leave it alone, it can become a really big job if something goes wrong.

Steve

Yes, like I wrote in my post, there are 3 maybe 4 finish cracks caused by the impact that, I believe, allowed the steam into the wood to lift the compressed spruce.

And what of those finish cracks? Untreated won’t they spread? Won’t other contaminants get in the crack over time and discolor the wood? Wouldn’t a tiny drop of thinner or retarder melt the lacquer and “heal” the cracks, restoring the seal?

Old 02-23-2018, 10:37 AM

Quote:

Steve
Sorry, gotta disagree as I have done it here many many times......No wood finish can stop wood from reacting with moisture, especially if heat is involved. Dishwasher panels will prove this very quickly and I spent years trying to get them to hold up.

It helps if there are checks in the finish to let the steam in directly and not all fiber compression can be undone so some dings lift more than others but they will all respond to at least some degree. A soldering iron, a wet section of paper towel, a fair bit of patience and a watchful eye.
Old 02-23-2018, 07:13 PM

I agree and also dis-agree, yes you are right that many many finishes are not impervious to moisture.

I only comment from my own experiences, so far I have never managed to remove a dent completely with heat/steam on a finished surface, so I cannot agree only becuase I have not experienced this yet, I take you at your word that this is a phenomenon that does work.

Steve
Maton Messiah
Taylor 814CE
Old 02-23-2018, 07:15 PM

To the op, untreated they should not spread, they are a resultant, that is they occurred from a sustained impact.

Steve
Maton Messiah
Taylor 814CE
Old 02-23-2018, 09:06 PM

Quote:
To the op, untreated they should not spread, they are a resultant, that is they occurred from a sustained impact.

Steve
Thank you.
Old 02-24-2018, 06:28 AM

Quote:
I agree and also dis-agree, yes you are right that many many finishes are not impervious to moisture.

I only comment from my own experiences, so far I have never managed to remove a dent completely with heat/steam on a finished surface, so I cannot agree only becuase I have not experienced this yet, I take you at your word that this is a phenomenon that does work.

Steve
Completely is a different matter.....never completely gone just from steam but lighter dents will pop up enough to simply give a quick level sand at 1000 and buff. And even the worst ones lift enough to make filling easier or at least less optical disturbance when done.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair