The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 02-11-2018, 09:34 PM
Guest 1928

Steve Cooley!? At least one of you guys was a long way from home.
Old 02-13-2018, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd Yates View Post
Steve Cooley!? At least one of you guys was a long way from home.
Yes, it was the last gig in a two week UK tour which Steve was doing along with fellow Louisville native Brigid Kaelin. Most enjoyable.
Old 02-13-2018, 10:11 AM
Guest 1928

I've not had the pleasure of seeing the two of them play live, but Steve has been a fixture in the local music scene as far back as I've been paying attention. Of course he's a great musician, but also a longtime purveyor of musical instruments at Guitar Emporium. He's helped me and others separate from quite a few dollars over the years.
Old 02-13-2018, 10:49 AM

Quote:
I've not had the pleasure of seeing the two of them play live, but Steve has been a fixture in the local music scene as far back as I've been paying attention. Of course he's a great musician, but also a longtime purveyor of musical instruments at Guitar Emporium. He's helped me and others separate from quite a few dollars over the years.
So Todd, I take it your located in the Louisville area then? I'm not too far up I-65 from you - in Columbus.
Old 02-13-2018, 11:37 AM

Quote:
A quick pic I took of the two of them playing after the gig.

In case it's not clear, Brigid is playing the musical saw (with astounding virtuosity) and Steve is doing all sorts of fancy stuff on their joint rendition of "Somewhere, Over the Rainbow".

I asked Brigid afterwards if there was a difference between saws of differing ages ... I thought perhaps a pre-war Disston might have a more desirable tone than a 2016 Stanley.

But apparently tone-wise it makes no difference .... she bought that Stanley saw in B&Q ( UK equivalent of Home Depot ) at the start of the tour, and it served its purpose admirably.
Old 02-13-2018, 02:23 PM
Guest 1928

Quote:
Originally Posted by hat View Post
So Todd, I take it your located in the Louisville area then? I'm not too far up I-65 from you - in Columbus.
I grew up a little south of Louisville and live in Lexington now. I'm an engineer and travel a lot for work. Spent many years primarily working in Louisville. Now I split my office time between Lexington and Indianapolis. Actually, Jim Bennett does a lot of my vintage repairs. He's not too far north of you there in Columbus. It really is a small world I guess.
Old 02-13-2018, 09:57 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hearsedriver View Post
Pick a good luthier and trust the wire that he recommends. Each luthier chooses a certain brand of wire and becomes most proficient using it. Personally, I like the nickel wire that Stew-Mac sells. I shy away from the harder wires as they tend to wear my tools out and produce a slightly brighter tone. Some people love stainless steel wire and the gold wire your speak of.
+1...medium tall 80x50 gets me plenty of dressings (I do my own) for full-time gigging wear and I like the feel & tone.
Old 03-16-2018, 04:21 PM

I wanted to follow up this post, and also wanted to thank Bruce for sharing his knowledge with me. Thanks Bruce. Also thanks to Todd Yates. I came across many of his well informed posts while researching, and it was extremely helpful to me in choosing the correct fret wire for my particular guitar.
I ended up going with the Jescar FW43080 in Evo Gold. I also ordered fossilized walrus tusk blanks for the nut and saddle, as well as end pins. I have only seen pics at this point, and it looks fantastic. I pick it up around noon tomorrow, and can't wait to dig in! I will post some pics once I have it back home with me.
Thanks for all of the help, and advice, folks!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair