The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 02-11-2018, 08:14 PM

Congrats Clint! I don't know much about bikes but that one looks very streamlined.
Old 02-11-2018, 10:08 PM
G625 mistral-k

Nice ride! Congrats.... Bet you can't wait for Spring!
Old 02-12-2018, 03:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Basalt Beach View Post
Nice ride! Congrats.... Bet you can't wait for Spring!
Yeah. Only at least another month to go, unless I make another Utah run. Winter is so slow to let go here.

Acoustics
2013 Guild F30 Standard
2012 Yamaha LL16
2007 Seagull S12
1991 Yairi DY 50

Electrics
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Fender Am. Standard Telecaster
Gibson ES-335
Gibson Firebird
Old 02-18-2018, 07:16 AM
Charter Member

Yeah, here in Central Virginia, a combination of constant freeze/thaw conditions with periodic rain thrown in to boot has had most of the local trails shut down for the better part of the new year. It's giving me plenty of time in the garage to do some maintenance, true up some hoops, and work on a new build...but it's getting old real fast. So ready for some consistent sunny, warm days to come and dry out the trails.

Nice Norco!

Austin
Iris DF Smeck | Lakewood M-32 | Gibson J-35 | Lakewood M-14 | Martin 000-15M | Lowden F-25 | Huss & Dalton Singletree Banjo | Brunner Outdoor Guitar | Composite Acoustics Cargo | Taylor GS Cocobolo Limited | Cole Clark UL-1 Uke | Godin Exit-22
Old 02-18-2018, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pukematrix View Post
Yeah, here in Central Virginia, a combination of constant freeze/thaw conditions with periodic rain thrown in to boot has had most of the local trails shut down for the better part of the new year. It's giving me plenty of time in the garage to do some maintenance, true up some hoops, and work on a new build...but it's getting old real fast. So ready for some consistent sunny, warm days to come and dry out the trails.

Nice Norco!

Austin

Thanks for the reminder. Crappy ride conditions have meant guitar time but the fleet needs maintenance. Our super modern trail bikes are due for suspension maintenance and tubeless tire fixing.

A few associates have put on studded fatties but 2017 was serious ride obsession and I want more guitar back in my schedule.

Real first world problem here where I think a snow bike trip will get swapped with skis at terrain park. That leaves my wife out but those have been super times with my kids who've grown so fast.

We don't have Moab as a practical drive to option but the Ozarks and west side of Appalachia have been great road trips for early season. The Walton family foundation is keeping the world's best trail builders busy there - AR. Look it up if you're not aware.

Old 02-18-2018, 10:38 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by imwjl View Post
The Walton family foundation is keeping the world's best trail builders busy there - AR. Look it up if you're not aware.
Bentonville, AR, huh? You learn something new everyday.

I actually have a bit of bike tinkering on the agenda for today. New 29+ rubber for my Surly Krampus, which is also getting a tubeless conversion. Converting my old Troll to a gravel bike and just need to get the Gevenalle shifters installed and dialed in, then wrap the bars to finish up that one.

Between the two passions, guitars and bikes, I can usually strike a decent balance. Not always, but most of the time.
Iris DF Smeck | Lakewood M-32 | Gibson J-35 | Lakewood M-14 | Martin 000-15M | Lowden F-25 | Huss & Dalton Singletree Banjo | Brunner Outdoor Guitar | Composite Acoustics Cargo | Taylor GS Cocobolo Limited | Cole Clark UL-1 Uke | Godin Exit-22
Old 02-18-2018, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pukematrix View Post
Bentonville, AR, huh? You learn something new everyday.

I actually have a bit of bike tinkering on the agenda for today. New 29+ rubber for my Surly Krampus, which is also getting a tubeless conversion. Converting my old Troll to a gravel bike and just need to get the Gevenalle shifters installed and dialed in, then wrap the bars to finish up that one.

Between the two passions, guitars and bikes, I can usually strike a decent balance. Not always, but most of the time.
Yes, when that article was published some of my associates were just getting going on Dec - April trail building there. This morning one posted a nice making coffee pic before he and his crew got to work so take that article and add what around 20 trail builders can do in months of work.

Chad here who originated in our bike and trail posse has gone pro and is posting his work every few weeks. He is truly one of the best and he's worked at some of the most famous places and events. From his time as Trek's trail builder, race shop support and prototype tester he also builds some of the word class level event courses and cyclocross courses.

Best of all, his business launched from and still works at the trail network I started 2 mi from my driveway. Two of the albums on his Facebook site are my ride from home trails.

https://www.facebook.com/LandowskiTrailworxLLC/

The band of riding from Marquette, MI to Duluth, MN is worth checking out. The 2018 Bike Magazine "bible" was all done in Marquette, and those places (Marquette, Copper Harbor, Duluth) absolutely deserve their bronze through gold ratings. They don't have mountain range elevation but are as good as outdoor places get.
Old 02-19-2018, 12:35 PM

I found that "bible" set of reviews on YouTube last month. The Norco one is pretty spot on.

After my last ride, I think I'll swap out the Level T brakes for a stronger set. I was running XT ones on my old bike, and they had gobs of power compared to these even after the pads bedded in. To put it kindly, gravity has an affinity for me and I tend to descend like a runaway semi. I'm no 150lb "average" rider.

Acoustics
2013 Guild F30 Standard
2012 Yamaha LL16
2007 Seagull S12
1991 Yairi DY 50

Electrics
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Fender Am. Standard Telecaster
Gibson ES-335
Gibson Firebird

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic