The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 12-01-2017, 10:58 AM

Default Bose T1 ToneMatch Tip and Tricks

I recently picked up a Bose T1 ToneMatch to try out... They call it an "Audio Engine" and I'd say that's pretty accurate. It sure has a lot too it and I have been delving deeper into it's capabilities (fun stuff).

I also have a TCH Play Acoustic as well... So there's a bit of redundancy regarding effects.

But I am really liking how the Bose works AND sounds.

Anyway, thought I'd start a thread to work on some Tips and Tricks.

Here's link to the Bose Pro Portable PA
Encyclopedia FAQ & Wiki - T1 ToneMatch

http://toonz.ca/bose/wiki/index.php?...®_Audio_Engine

Next
I was searching around and found a posting on the Bose forum by one of the Bose engineers.
Thought I'd share a part of it..
May be helpful ....

Piezo quack: strange duck.

Up to this point, having listened to a zillion (and counting) acoustic guitars with piezo pickups in them, I believed that quack is simply a strong emphasis in the midrange, 500-1000 Hz thereabouts. It is normally dealt with by de-emphasizing that range with an equalizer. I have done all the ToneMatch ones to date with a 1/3 octave and translated that curve into the T1's (very comprehensive) EQ section. Almost all these systems have required midrange cut to acheive a more natural tone.

Independent of the TM presets, you can go a long way towards fixing classic quack. Activate the T1/s parametric EQ, set the bandwidth to 1 octave, set the frequency to 800 Hz or so, set the gain to +6dB and then sweep the frequency up and down. You will be able to locate the quack frequency by hearing way more of what annoys you. Once you have locked this in, start decreasing the gain to negative (cut) until you're happy with the tone. Then you can go on and tweak the rest of the range. My guess is you'll at least have to decrease the high end some as most pickup systems such as yours are unnaturally bright.

Here's a link to the thread
https://www.bosepro.community/g/port...ng-piezo-quack

Last edited by JakeStone; 12-01-2017 at 11:05 AM.
Old 12-01-2017, 12:59 PM
Charter Member

That's a good one, Jake... glad to see that you've found the tremendous resource of that Bose User's Forum. I love that all the moderators on that Forum are actual Bose techs; helps a lot to know that the answer you're given is "straight from the horse's mouth"! A bit of a pain that it takes a day for an answer, but, there you go...

One tip/technique I would offer would be to REMEMBER TO SAVE whatever scene you're working with... especially after you've made some changes to that patch. Also, if you decide to scroll through the Tonematch Presets for, say, acoustic guitars, so you can try out a few, saving the "scene" prior to your auditioning new sounds assures that your original settings will be there when you want to go back to them.

Another great aspect of the T1 is the noise-gate function - for any feedback issues with microphones at higher volume levels... Haven't tried this one, but I loved it when I read about a user doing this with a "trouble" vocal mic...

About those presets: try a BUNCH of them until you find one that works for you... regardless of what name they've been given. You never know which one is going to sound great for you...
and the things I hold dear
are near...
And I always find my way back home."

"Home" (working title) J.S, Sherman
Old 12-01-2017, 01:12 PM

Wow! Just talking about this very issue with a guitar friend yesterday. Problem solved. Thank you, Jake! Keep cherry-picking the good tips and posting them. Help on this one: same situation, but different: what is the best frequency to reduce/eliminate string squeak when sliding strings?
Old 12-01-2017, 01:23 PM

btw another great source of T1 Tonematches is Guitar Center Used; there are like a dozen of them on there now, some of them listed at $299 in excellent shape (although with a L1C you need to also buy a power supply). Needless to say you get at least 30 days to try them out. In other words you can save an additional $125 over the Bose sale price ($424 and you still need the power supply for L1C) with no risk.

I have to stay on the sidelines a bit longer cause presently some mastering expenses take priority ... although I sure wish I could dive in today!

Also thanks for this thread, Jake.
Old 12-01-2017, 03:15 PM

Great!

Glad to get this thread going.

I started this one because many of us were discussing the T1 in the other thread (Bose Compact vs Fishman 330) which was great...
But seemed it was getting side tracked from original topic.
Plus it was just getting to long to sort through all the posts.

Here's a link to that discussion:
http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/f...d.php?t=487528

Jake

Last edited by JakeStone; 12-01-2017 at 04:32 PM.
Old 12-01-2017, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reasley View Post
Wow! Just talking about this very issue with a guitar friend yesterday. Problem solved. Thank you, Jake! Keep cherry-picking the good tips and posting them. Help on this one: same situation, but different: what is the best frequency to reduce/eliminate string squeak when sliding strings?
You probably already know this, but there are some technique things you can do with your playing which also do a lot to help minimize string squeak. As always, youtube is your friend. I think this is the video that helped me the most:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_gUIXVTreBw

I also have a zillion hours recording with headphones; using phones helps you gauge your progress. Apologies if this is old hat to you!
Old 12-02-2017, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by troggg View Post
btw another great source of T1 Tonematches is Guitar Center Used; there are like a dozen of them on there now, some of them listed at $299 in excellent shape (although with a L1C you need to also buy a power supply). Needless to say you get at least 30 days to try them out. In other words you can save an additional $125 over the Bose sale price ($424 and you still need the power supply for L1C) with no risk.

I have to stay on the sidelines a bit longer cause presently some mastering expenses take priority ... although I sure wish I could dive in today!

Also thanks for this thread, Jake.
Speaking of price:

A new Behringer XR12 can be had for the price of a used TM1 and has 10 times the capability and features.

Just sayin'...

Theory is the post mortem of Music.
Old 12-02-2017, 11:28 AM

Quote:
You probably already know this, but there are some technique things you can do with your playing which also do a lot to help minimize string squeak. As always, youtube is your friend. I think this is the video that helped me the most:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_gUIXVTreBw

I also have a zillion hours recording with headphones; using phones helps you gauge your progress. Apologies if this is old hat to you!
GREAT video. Just watched it, Thanks so much! This would also be a great lesson for either a physics or geometry class.
Old 12-02-2017, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyllys View Post
Speaking of price:

A new Behringer XR12 can be had for the price of a used TM1 and has 10 times the capability and features.

Just sayin'...
Does it come with a free iPad?
Old 12-02-2017, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Speaking of price:

Just sayin'...
Quote:
Does it come with a free iPad?
Any smartphone will work if you don't have an iPad.

Theory is the post mortem of Music.
Old 12-02-2017, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Speaking of price:

Just sayin'...
Appreciate the input.

But there's already a thread devoted to the Behringer -
Behringer XR12 Air Digital Mixer Tips and Tricks
http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/f...highlight=xr12

Let's keep this thread focused on the Bose T1.

Thanks!
Old 12-31-2017, 08:22 AM

I found this on the Bose forum and thought I'd share.

Outline of the Bose T1 and it's functionality

ToneMatch Presets
Equalization Curves optimized for dozens of microphones and instruments available on each channel. ToneMatch Partner presets are available via free download. This feature, makes it easy to get studio quality sound from your mic or instrument, whether you are a seasoned audio engineer or a complete novice.

Bose zEQ
zEQ automatically adjusts the frequency range of tone controls to match your voice or instrument, making it easier to fine tune your sound.

Parametric EQ
Per channel Parametric EQ allows very specific “fine-tuning” to overcome feedback issues or personalize and enhance the tone of each channel.

Inputs/outputs
Mic/line inputs (1 – 3) combination analog connectors accepting balanced XLR or unbalanced ¼" TRS audio cables.

Line inputs (4/5, L/R) for analog stereo connections to keyboards, mixers and computers. Inputs accept balanced ¼" TRS cable. Edit control affects both channels.

Trim controls and signal/clip LEDs (1 – 4/5) adjusting levels of input signals. Green/yellow/red LEDs show signal status and help you set gain levels properly.

Preamp outputs (1 – 3) connecting channels' dry output signals to recording gear or other amplifiers via balanced ¼" TRS cable.

Aux output used with aux mode to create independent sub-mix of channels 1 – 4/5 to route to other amplifiers or recording gear.

Master analog output for connecting to additional L1 systems, amplifiers or recording gear via balanced ¼" TRS cable. Select from pre- or post-master volume settings.

ToneMatch port connects digital output of engine to L1 Model 1S or Model II power stand via included ToneMatch digital cable.

USB port update ToneMatch audio engine and back up scenes via USB connection to your computer. USB port is also a bidirectional audio interface for playback and recording (24 Bit/48 kHz).

Single-band Para EQ to adjust a frequency you specify for each independent channel. Valuable tool for reshaping problematic frequencies in certain venues or on resonant frequencies for mics and instruments.

Five reverb types (small, medium, large, plate and cavern) available for global assignment, with individual channel controls for decay time, mix level and brightness.

Three delay types (analog, digital and tape) can be independently assigned to selected channels, with control over feedback time and mix level for each channel. For example, you can select tape delay for your vocal on channel 1 and analog delay for your guitar on channel 2.

Ten modulation effects (three chorus types, two flange types, four phaser types and one vintage tremolo effect) can be independently assigned to selected channels, with control over designated parameters for each channel.

Seven dynamics processing types (one of three compressors, a limiter, a de-esser, a “kick gate” or a noise gate) can be assigned to independent channels. Each has adjustable parameters

Scenes to store, recall and edit "snapshots" of all key ToneMatch audio engine settings at any given time. This feature helps simplify setup when you're using an L1 system repeatedly in different venues. The engine includes five predefined Bose scenes, ten My Scenes and five Shared Scenes you can give to other L1 owners.

Chromatic tuner convenient tuning of instruments.

Large backlit display intuitive layout and easy-to-read text for modes and settings.

Rotary encoder offers quick access to modes, effects and parameters, including ToneMatch presets, zEQ, Para EQ, reverbs, delays, modulators, dynamics processing, scenes and tuner. Features clean, circular layout.

Aux mode (channels 1 – 3) channels' dry, pre-fader or post-fader audio to aux output for connection to additional L1 systems or recording devices. Independent level controls for optimal signal output.

Channel volume, mute and FX mute (1 – 4/5) adjusting individual channel volume, muting individual channels and muting all effects on selected channels.

Master Volume overall level of master output.

Phantom power +48V power to input channels 1 – 3 to drive live performance condenser microphones.

ToneMatch cable sends audio signals to the L1 Power Stand and provides power to ToneMatch audio engine from the L1 Power Stand. Use the optional T1 power supply to power T1 for connection to L1 Compact or other systems.

Mounting bar and carriage attaches T1 to L1 Model 1S or Model II loudspeaker.

Cover and carrying case protects T1 when storing and transporting.
Old 12-31-2017, 02:39 PM
Charter Member

An exhaustive listing! The above is why I just tell people to spend a bunch of time with the user's manual, instead of trying to remember everything the T1 will do...

That little mixer is a marvel, for sure!
and the things I hold dear
are near...
And I always find my way back home."

"Home" (working title) J.S, Sherman
Old 12-31-2017, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jseth View Post
An exhaustive listing! The above is why I just tell people to spend a bunch of time with the user's manual, instead of trying to remember everything the T1 will do...

That little mixer is a marvel, for sure!
Yes .. Especially for it's size and weight.
Old 01-01-2018, 09:47 AM

Thanks for the thread. I’ve had and used the T1 for about 3 years now, and I feel that I’ve just scratched the surface in terms of its capabilities. But I will ditto advice given above, try all the presets because you don’t know which ones will sound the best.

There is no preset for my guitar which is Santa Cruz OO. Nor is there a preset for the Sennheiser vocal mic I use (e935) but I’ve found that other of the presets work great, or at least to where I’m happy with the sound. That plus a bit of playing around with very light compression and reverb, and I get a sound that’s pretty amazingly good. Love to play in front of the Bose especially knowing that I’m hearing approximately what the audience is hearing.

One feature not mentioned in the list above is the tuner, which works but isn’t bright enough or convenient enough to be used in live performance.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification