The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 02-21-2018, 07:02 PM

Default Martin Long Saddle Glue

Does anyone know when Martin started using super glue instead of hide glue to install long saddles? Thanks
Old 02-22-2018, 04:08 AM
Guest 1928

After 1965. Which is another way of saying since they reintroduced long saddles on vintage-style bridges in the 1990’s. Even the Authentic Series saddles are glued with CA. They’ll come out, but sometimes take a bit extra coaxing.
Old 02-22-2018, 07:29 AM

Thanks Todd. I had not idea they were using CA in the 60's.
Old 02-22-2018, 08:12 AM
Guest 1928

Quote:
Originally Posted by hearsedriver View Post
Thanks Todd. I had not idea they were using CA in the 60's.
They didn’t. My point was that the original through saddles stopped in 1965, and so did glued saddles. When they reintroduced long saddles with the vintage inspired guitars, they used CA.
Old 02-22-2018, 09:31 AM

Default Two styles of Through Saddle Bridges.

In 2011, I did a neck reset on my 1962 D-28. The bridge had been shaved down a bit over the years to lower the action. Of course, I wanted a new bridge so that I could set everything up properly during the neck reset. I called Martin and ordered two long saddle through bridges and they arrived the following week.

To my amazement, the bridges that I received were long saddle versions, but they were also drop in. When the saddle was in place, it looked nearly like the original, although there was no glue involved.

Apparently these were developed for some of the later GE or Authentic models designed by C.F. Martin. They are very nice and they get rid of the nuisance of having them glued in which is a hassle if you want to change or adjust the saddle.
Old 02-22-2018, 09:51 AM
Guest 1928

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zigeuner View Post
In 2011, I did a neck reset on my 1962 D-28. The bridge had been shaved down a bit over the years to lower the action. Of course, I wanted a new bridge so that I could set everything up properly during the neck reset. I called Martin and ordered two long saddle through bridges and they arrived the following week.

To my amazement, the bridges that I received were long saddle versions, but they were also drop in. When the saddle was in place, it looked nearly like the original, although there was no glue involved.

Apparently these were developed for some of the later GE or Authentic models designed by C.F. Martin. They are very nice and they get rid of the nuisance of having them glued in which is a hassle if you want to change or adjust the saddle.
Those are Vintage Series bridges. They’ve been “long drop-in” since 2003. GE/Marquis and Authentic Series bridges have always been, and still are, glued with CA.
Old 02-22-2018, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd Yates View Post
Those are Vintage Series bridges. They’ve been “long drop-in” since 2003. GE/Marquis and Authentic Series bridges have always been, and still are, glued with CA.
Apparently the Martin folks gave them to me without checking since I asked for "1962 through bridges". They are very nice in any case.
Old 02-22-2018, 10:47 AM
Guest 1928

Quote:
Apparently the Martin folks gave them to me without checking since I asked for "1962 through bridges". They are very nice in any case.
That’s because they haven’t made one the old way since 1965. Martin uses the closest thing they have in current production. This is also the reason it’s best to have an experienced vintage repairman work on these old guitars.
Old 02-22-2018, 11:41 AM

Quote:
That’s because they haven’t made one the old way since 1965. Martin uses the closest thing they have in current production. This is also the reason it’s best to have an experienced vintage repairman work on these old guitars.
Not sure what you mean. I asked for the correct item and was sent Vintage bridges.
Old 02-22-2018, 12:05 PM
Guest 1928

Quote:
Not sure what you mean. I asked for the correct item and was sent Vintage bridges.
You asked for something that they haven't made in many decades, and they sent you the next closest thing that they have now. It's probably what they would have installed on the guitar had it been in the Repair Shop.
Old 02-22-2018, 12:13 PM

Quote:
You asked for something that they haven't made in many decades, and they sent you the next closest thing that they have now. It's probably what they would have installed on the guitar had it been in the Repair Shop.
Not complaining. I prefer the Vintage style. Has nothing to do with experienced vintage repair people, however.

Now that I have the method to contact the Guitar Maker's Connection, all is well. They are great to deal with.
Old 02-22-2018, 01:05 PM
Guest 1928

Quote:
...Has nothing to do with experienced vintage repair people, however...
I only meant that if you want an exact period correct part, you have know the guy who has some old ones lying around, or can make one from scratch.
Old 02-22-2018, 02:49 PM

Quote:
I only meant that if you want an exact period correct part, you have know the guy who has some old ones lying around, or can make one from scratch.
Correct. That's one way to do it.
Old 02-22-2018, 11:15 PM

That's the only way. The only one you will get from Martin is an old bridge they pulled off a guitar made before 1966.
To be clear, Martin did not do long saddles from 1966 until around 1990. By 1990, CA was already well established as a glue used in lutherie.

The lesson here is you don't go to the factory for accurate vintage style anything. That includes Martin's 'Authentic' series, which are only accurate to a certain degree.

Quote:
It's probably what they would have installed on the guitar had it been in the Repair Shop.
Not probably..........definitely.

Guitarmaker's Connection is a great resource, but they cannot supply what you are asking for.
Old 02-23-2018, 07:12 AM

In the end though the drop-in is a better design. It's the way I like to do it on guitars I make in that style. Still looks like a cool vintage design with the extra added security of a stronger bridge and not a PIA if you need to remove the saddle.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair