The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 05-31-2016, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by futboljim View Post
Very nice, and thanks much! I, too, look forward to more.
Thank you for listening and playing my music
Old 05-31-2016, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wooly View Post
Thanks for this. I will be following it.
Thank you for your support!
Old 05-31-2016, 01:05 PM

I've just been watching some of your stuff Cim and I love it. I particularly like the song 'Childhood' I can hear many influences in your playing yet you have a unique and original sound. I look forward to hearing more.
Old 05-31-2016, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex6strings View Post
I've just been watching some of your stuff Cim and I love it. I particularly like the song 'Childhood' I can hear many influences in your playing yet you have a unique and original sound. I look forward to hearing more.
Thank you for your nice words! I'm glad that you think I have a unique sound, It's sometimes hard to find but I'll do my best
Old 05-31-2016, 04:42 PM

Out of interest Cim have you always played with long nails on your right hand? I've tried it but its not for me. I was using Alaska finger pics for a while but I couldn't get the sound i was looking for. Now I rarely use a thumbpick unless the song really needs it. Your sound with your nails is exactly what i was going for but couldn't get. I am happy now with my sound so it's not something i'll try again, just interested.
Old 06-01-2016, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex6strings View Post
Out of interest Cim have you always played with long nails on your right hand? I've tried it but its not for me. I was using Alaska finger pics for a while but I couldn't get the sound i was looking for. Now I rarely use a thumbpick unless the song really needs it. Your sound with your nails is exactly what i was going for but couldn't get. I am happy now with my sound so it's not something i'll try again, just interested.
Hi!
I have always played with nails, except for some short period when I tried to play with flesh. I have also used alaska pik, they were good but you have to file them a bit.

The thing with nails is that you cant just grow them out, you have to know what angle you use and how to adapt that on your playing. I am extremely picky with my tone so I have spent hours creating different techniques.

I hope that answers your question
Old 06-02-2016, 10:41 PM

Your playing is wonderful! I know what you men about having to shape your nails to get the proper tone. My nails are pretty thin so I think I need to try some nail hardener and see how it goes.

Again, I love listening to you play!
Old 06-06-2016, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cim Frode View Post
Hi folks!

I have begun to write several short studies for fingerstyle guitar that focuses on different techniques. Learning this pieces will give you more tools to your guitar toolbox.

Here is lesson one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LKtGKokj48I

This project will be entirely free and you can download free tabs here:

http://cimfrode.com/free-tabs/

I hope some of you will give it a try!

Please, write in this thread if there are special things that you want to get better at and I will try to write something that focuses on that.

Have a great day full of guitar playing

/ Cim
Excellent, and thank you!
Old 06-06-2016, 11:36 AM

fantastic, thank you very, very much!
Old 06-07-2016, 01:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwp2 View Post
Your playing is wonderful! I know what you men about having to shape your nails to get the proper tone. My nails are pretty thin so I think I need to try some nail hardener and see how it goes.

Again, I love listening to you play!
Thank you mate!
Try out gel, it's really good
Old 06-07-2016, 01:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillipT View Post
Excellent, and thank you!
Thank you!
Old 06-07-2016, 01:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by neomastino View Post
fantastic, thank you very, very much!
So glad you like it
Old 06-07-2016, 03:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cim Frode View Post
Please, write in this thread if there are special things that you want to get better at and I will try to write something that focuses on that.

/ Cim

Really nice of you to do this. As you asked I would be interested in studies that cover various kinds of slapping/percussive (more strings than body)/tapping techniques especially where these are combined with conventional techniques. I'm working on a couple of pieces that use such techniques but I think it would probably more efficient to master the techniques first via appropriate studies before trying to use them in pieces.

Just a suggestion. I look Forward to giving all the other stuff a try as well.
Old 06-07-2016, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bvgdez View Post
Really nice of you to do this. As you asked I would be interested in studies that cover various kinds of slapping/percussive (more strings than body)/tapping techniques especially where these are combined with conventional techniques. I'm working on a couple of pieces that use such techniques but I think it would probably more efficient to master the techniques first via appropriate studies before trying to use them in pieces.

Just a suggestion. I look Forward to giving all the other stuff a try as well.
I see!
What pieces are you working on if it's okay to ask?
Old 06-07-2016, 02:26 PM

I'd like to make a request since you offered, and demonstrated your willingness to follow through:

I am working on learning/improving Travis Picking over the summer.

Thus far, I have learned and applied some Travis Picking patterns, but haven't really dug into Travis Picking as a broader technique. This may not be your thing, but I thought I'd put it out there since you offered. I'd love some studies in a similar vein as those you posted here that deepened my knowledge of Travis Picking techniques more broadly than particular songs that use a Travis Picking pattern that I kind of learn by rote.

I've been looking over those studies, they seem to get at some of the same ideas, which is one reason why I look forward to playing with them, but they are very cool for their own reasons. Study 1 reminds me of Fernando Sor's B minor study in a lot of ways, with great variations that I think can teach me a lot! I studied classical for about a year to expand my finger-style chops (I'm sold on PIMA, and the sitting position with the guitar as a result), but I'm ready to dig back into finger-style playing. For me, it's different, perhaps not as much so for a pro like you, but while much of the skill set transfers, a lot is also distinctive for me.

I don't know if that makes since, but thanks again for these studies, and your great music!

pt

Last edited by PhillipT; 06-07-2016 at 02:31 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write