The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 05-20-2016, 01:47 PM

Lightbulb

Any news? I went back and listened to a few more songs. I think you sing great. Especially, in the genre you have selected. Think of that scarring on your thyroid as that extra bit of growl and texture most of us dream of having in our voices!

You mentioned that you might be in a mall. Does that mean the audience is multi-generational (kids, teens, adults, experienced adults)? I am asking to help you solidify a plan for your song selection. The idea is to appeal to the target audience. If that is varied, you can either cater to a specific subset or, try and have a good selection.

Regardless of your talent singing and playing, you can absolutely destroy just by having fun and being charismatic. Smiling at kids. Jokes or fun little comments directed towards listeners or people walking by, etc. Getting younger people involved is an incredibly easy way to endear yourself to the older people. Tried and true!

Do you have any songs that are newer country? Lets call it "pop country" since the crossover is so prevalent these days. Doesn't have to be YOUR favorite song. Just has to be the one they know by heart. Another option is to take a non country song and add your country style to it. Could be a top 40 song. Could be an older classic rock song. Something as simple as a tempo change can completely change the dynamics and style like this.

Couple examples (Not endorsing anyone. Just examples)
Marty Ray on youtube has quite a few songs he does his own way. Ice ice baby and Simple Man come to mind. Songs most people know.
Sturgill Simpson does Nirvana's "in Bloom" and When in Rome's "The promise".

If you are "Pure Country" like George Straight, I completely understand and ignore what I just suggested
Old 05-20-2016, 02:03 PM

I say go for it. Every performer has had an opportunity which required them to STRETCH out of their comfort zone. The ones who make it are the ones who take the chances. If you bomb up there, so what? You calk it up as a learning experience. Take your charts if you absolutely have to. It's a festival, not a concert. So, people will be slightly distracted with other happenings. Your use of a cheat sheet might go unnoticed.
Old 05-21-2016, 01:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonkadaddy View Post
Any news? I went back and listened to a few more songs. I think you sing great. Especially, in the genre you have selected. Think of that scarring on your thyroid as that extra bit of growl and texture most of us dream of having in our voices!

You mentioned that you might be in a mall. Does that mean the audience is multi-generational (kids, teens, adults, experienced adults)? I am asking to help you solidify a plan for your song selection. The idea is to appeal to the target audience. If that is varied, you can either cater to a specific subset or, try and have a good selection.

Regardless of your talent singing and playing, you can absolutely destroy just by having fun and being charismatic. Smiling at kids. Jokes or fun little comments directed towards listeners or people walking by, etc. Getting younger people involved is an incredibly easy way to endear yourself to the older people. Tried and true!

Do you have any songs that are newer country? Lets call it "pop country" since the crossover is so prevalent these days. Doesn't have to be YOUR favorite song. Just has to be the one they know by heart. Another option is to take a non country song and add your country style to it. Could be a top 40 song. Could be an older classic rock song. Something as simple as a tempo change can completely change the dynamics and style like this.

Couple examples (Not endorsing anyone. Just examples)

Marty Ray on youtube has quite a few songs he does his own way. Ice ice baby and Simple Man come to mind. Songs most people know.

Sturgill Simpson does Nirvana's "in Bloom" and When in Rome's "The promise".

If you are "Pure Country" like George Straight, I completely understand and ignore what I just suggested

Howdy no news. I'm still waiting for a reply.
I'll give it a few days and call.

Now as far as style. Yeah I'm trying to stay pure country. There's pretty much none of it in thee here parts. Now some would say that's cause there's no call but I think it's an opportunity. So I'd like to carve out a niche.

Having said that I'm totally into making non country songs country. Of corse at the moment they are slow. So I need to expand and come up with some more upbeat.

Funny thing is I'm a happy very content guy. I've been through my fair share of ups and downs. But I'm always drawn to the more slower type songs. So I think the key for me is finding fast songs that I totally connect with but that please an audience as well.
After all even though I want to share my passion, if no one wants to hear it then what's the point. Or rather if I bore people away... So I get the importance of playing for the audience enjoyment.
Old 05-21-2016, 01:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFCRetired View Post
Have you ever tried any Steve Earl songs? Most of his stuff is 3 chord songs and pretty hard to screw them up. Give it try sometime. I play Guitar Town, Hillbilly Highway, Devils Right Hand which I think would be a good one for you. But he does change keys on the last verse. I don't always change them but it sounds better if you do. Copperhead Road, Nowhere Road.

And I agree with the opening up that tankadaddy mentioned. I have that same problem sometimes. I always do my best when I let it fly.

No I haven't tried any Steve earl but I used to listen to him all the time so I really should.
Copper head road would be a good one to start with. Thanks for reminding me. I'll check them others out as well.
Old 05-24-2016, 04:03 PM

Default Should I go for it? Asked to play.

Okay I have just heard back.
She's booked me for a street position that is across from the main corner bar and restaurant with outdoor seating. This is on 1 of 2 main paths to the main stage and all the food and market stalls. So will be very busy with passers by and seated persons.

I'm slotted for a 2 hour set!
I'm pretty stoked and will keep practicing my @ss off.

In this situation is it normal to break into two sets and have a small break in between? Or just take a little breather here and there switching songs. Etc.

I'll post my current set list which is 1:40 worth of straight music.

With banter and song change over, I'm thinking its probably more then I need.

This will be a faster flow of audience in this position so should I focus more on playing and less banter? I'm thinking crowds will push people keeping them moving and I'll have people hearing me waiting to cross the road to get to all the other event items. There's another stage up from me so I'm
In between and on the path of many features.
Any thoughts tips or insight for a full on 11:00-1:00 2hr set for lunch crowds in a festival setting? Given the circumstances?

Last edited by Mischief; 05-24-2016 at 05:03 PM.
Old 06-13-2016, 07:20 PM

Okay festival is all finished.

Sample Video of a song at bottom.......

I think it went well and I'm thankful for the opportunity to share with people.
I played a 2 hr set and people seemed to enjoy it. However 2-4 it was cold drizzly and the festival was winding down. The other stage had a crowd favorite so I was up against stiff competition to keep an audience. I did mange a few that stayed the whole 2 hrs without even checking out the other gigs going on. Others stayed between 30-45 minutes before moving on so I was pretty happy with that.

I was also on the main stage CBD. Which is really second to the one down at the marina in the courtyard area surrounded by cafes and restaurants.

After my show a lady from one of the shops came out and said its a tough stage to play and hold a crowd and said I did really well and asked for my card.

I met a lot of contacts and it was overall a good experience. I'll hopefully be invited back next year and come back stronger and better.

I did not get much video as my wife had her hands full with our kids and some audience kids that joined them.

My phone is in its waterproof case so it responded weird with the sound guitar more tinny then it was which is already a contentious issue for me ATM and vocals were more clear in person. It's still okay so here's one of the few recordings I've got.
Hope you all enjoy.

Ps sorry for the shades I know it's a bit of a no no but there was a reason.....

https://youtu.be/VOUCqp3iMPA
Old 06-14-2016, 11:43 AM

If you had people stay for 30 - 45 minutes and others for the entire set, that's great!! Festival slots like that are indeed extremely difficult to play and serenade anyone but a bunch of empty chairs - well done!!
Old 06-14-2016, 12:28 PM

Looks like a blast !

So long, and thanks for all the fish.
Old 06-15-2016, 01:19 AM

Thanks. It was actually very inspirational. I always like to hear myself back reflect and critique myself.
I always know how much better I could have done and look for ways how to improve.

I did make some excellent contacts the next day as well.

All in all I'm so happy I went for it. Thanks for everyone's support.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write