The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 03-08-2016, 04:51 PM

Default Thumb wrap or barre on first fret for fingerstyle?

I'm learning a simple fingerstyle solo that requires the F and C notes on the first fret to be plucked together. I then need to be able to fret the following notes, A (third string 2nd fret), F (fourth string 3rd fret), and D (second string 3rd fret) before again plucking the first fret F and C notes (hopefully I got the strings and frets right in describing this).

The problem is that I am having quite a difficult time getting the C note to sound clearly when attempting to barre the first fret in this situation and wonder how common is it for steel string fingerstyle guitarists to thumb wrap the low F and use the index finger for the second string C note. Any thoughts on this workaround, or should I keep working to get the barre to sound clearly?

Thanks.
Old 03-08-2016, 05:23 PM

It's quite common to finger that with a thumb wrap on the low F, index holding down the first or second string or both, middle on the third, and ring finger on the fourth string, keeping the pinky free for the D note on the second string.

"Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts." - Richard Feynman, 1966
Old 03-08-2016, 05:36 PM
Charter Member

Whatever works for you. Personally I would do the barre. To get the C note clean, try experimenting with various distances of the tip of the index finger extended beyond the fretboard edge.

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above
Old 03-08-2016, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick-slo View Post
whatever works for you. Personally i would do the barre. To get the c note clean, try experimenting with various distances of the tip of the index finger extended beyond the fretboard edge.
+1............
Old 03-09-2016, 08:23 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broadus View Post
I'm learning a simple fingerstyle solo that requires the F and C notes on the first fret to be plucked together. I then need to be able to fret the following notes, A (third string 2nd fret), F (fourth string 3rd fret), and D (second string 3rd fret) before again plucking the first fret F and C notes (hopefully I got the strings and frets right in describing this).

The problem is that I am having quite a difficult time getting the C note to sound clearly when attempting to barre the first fret in this situation and wonder how common is it for steel string fingerstyle guitarists to thumb wrap the low F and use the index finger for the second string C note. Any thoughts on this workaround, or should I keep working to get the barre to sound clearly?

Thanks.
Hi B
For me it's not an option because my hand width is not great enough to wrap that style of chord.

Either way can work and the one you play 10,000 times correctly will be the easiest to play for you to use.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 03-10-2016, 04:14 AM

on some the guitars the A string never sounds clean with my standard go to barre position due to with certain string spacings / gauges because the joint crack of index finger fall right over the string and I can't put enough pressure on it with my go to barre position mainly on the B minor chord so I have to change it. Is that your problem with C note?
Old 03-10-2016, 05:58 AM

In this situation, I would always thumb wrap. Just seems more logical for the notes you have to play.

Thumb wrapping was a bit weird when I first tried to do, but now it is second nature.
I play: Acoustic blues & folk
Videos: https://www.youtube.com/user/sirwhale28/videos
Old 03-11-2016, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by macmanmatty View Post
on some the guitars the A string never sounds clean with my standard go to barre position due to with certain string spacings / gauges because the joint crack of index finger fall right over the string and I can't put enough pressure on it with my go to barre position mainly on the B minor chord so I have to change it. Is that your problem with C note?
Not quite. I think it's a matter of consistency of position for me. Sometimes it rings cleanly; more often it doesn't. I hope it's just a matter of experimentation and work.
Old 03-11-2016, 09:59 PM
Charter Member

You should learn to play a 1st position F chord using a full barre and also learn to play that same chord using a wrapped thumb for the 6th string F bass note. Some songs will require one or the other in fingerstyle, no way around it.
Old 03-11-2016, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdelsolray View Post
You should learn to play a 1st position F chord using a full barre and also learn to play that same chord using a wrapped thumb for the 6th string F bass note. Some songs will require one or the other in fingerstyle, no way around it.
Interesting that you should say that, and I suspect it's correct. I have been strumming for a few years and can play a solid full barred F chord in 1st position.

Laying down the barre by itself to play the 6th string F note with the 2nd string C note before laying down the other fingers as needed has been a different matter. However, it is starting to come along.
Old 03-20-2016, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdelsolray View Post
There's no way I could ever contort my hand to thumb-over that low F note, nor can I imagine a need for it, in the sense that all the notes of the full F barre chord are played, and all I do is fingerpick. I will, however, make good use of partials to obtain the same result when the unplayed sympathetic strings of that chord are not essential to the tone.
Old 03-23-2016, 05:45 AM
Charter Member

My teacher is a big fan of wrapping your thumb around the neck to get the low E string for fingerstyle playing BUT only if it's comfortable and you can do it with no significant strain. He has demonstrated to me how this skill allows you more flexibility with your other fingers to have access to more melody notes. But again, he stresses doing it safely. There have been songs where I struggled to do it and it was fine to use the A string. A lot of players do it, watch Tommy Emmaneul on YT and you'll see it a lot.
Kostal 12 Fret OMC (German Spruce/Koa)
Rainsong APSE 12 Fret (Carbon Fiber)
Taylor 812ce-N 12 fret (Sitka/EIR Nylon)
Old 03-23-2016, 08:50 AM

Both work. It depends where I'm coming from and going to next. Sometimes I don't "need" that low F at all.
Old 03-23-2016, 08:51 AM

Thumb wrap for me.
Old 03-23-2016, 11:12 AM

I didn't notice it mentioned here, but it's not just hand size that can effect how easy it is to thumb-wrap. Neck shape can have a big influence as well. A modified-V style neck can really make thumb wrapping much easier.

Here's a great Martin reference provided by our sponsor Maury's Music.
http://www.maurysmusic.com/martin_by_neck_shape

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write