The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 11-07-2010, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dotneck View Post
I disagree...just because something is legal doesn't mean it's right or ethical. Some folks need to understand the impact of their legal actions on others....and often just providing facts can help those who are ignorant on a subject.
So if a guitar shop has some old stock ivory saddles, what do you suggest that they should do with it?
Throw it away? What good would that do?
Why not use what is a legal saddle, knowing that when it's gone, it' gone.
I still don't see why some of you are disturbed by the use of old stock ivory.
What will be next? How about removing the ivory keys from old pianos.

Last edited by L20A; 11-07-2010 at 06:34 PM.
Old 11-07-2010, 06:40 PM

Given the blithe disregard for living creatures from some people, we should be thankful that human bone isn't a saddle material.

PS: that wasn't meant to directly reply to your post L20A.

Last edited by rlouie; 11-07-2010 at 07:18 PM.
Old 11-07-2010, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dotneck View Post
I disagree...just because something is legal doesn't mean it's right or ethical. Some folks need to understand the impact of their legal actions on others....and often just providing facts can help those who are ignorant on a subject.
I agree with you. However, the problem is in making sure that legal sources are truly legal and that all other sources are shut down and put behind bars, not in the ivory itself. That's why I have given financially to this cause. However, eventually, elephants will die. Why not utilize the ivory they provide in that scenario? I don't see what's wrong or unethical about that.

Again, I understand that illegal ivory is "out there"... I grew up in a second world country and have travelled all over the world, including many 3rd world countries. When it is legally secured, there are moral and ethical people who provide for their families through the legal ivory trade.
Old 11-07-2010, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moon View Post
Given the blithe disregard for living creatures from some people, we should be thankful that human bone isn't a kick-*** saddle material.

PS: that wasn't meant to directly reply to your post L20A.
How do we know human bone is not a good saddle material?? If it is, I'm offering to sell my bones cheap to any luthier needing them for nuts and saddles. You can have my hair for fiddle bows (wait, I don't have much hair left). You can have my fingernails for players that can't grown their own. And you can have my callouses for the tender-tipped fingerstylists.

The rest (after organ donation), will burn.
Taylor 815C, Taylor 410e, Taylor 314ce, Taylor 224ce-K DLX, Taylor 110e, Martin D-18GE, Martin D-14 Woodstock, Little Martin Felix II, Sigma DM-5, Sigma DR-41, Martin 000x1e, Washburn 314k Parlor-125th anniv, Yamaha FG730s, Liberty Mahogany resonator
Epiphone Emperor Joe Pass, Epiphone Sheraton II, Fender Amer. Std. SSH Strat, Ibanez SZ520
Old 11-07-2010, 07:03 PM

I think the overriding point, at least for those of us who see this as an important issue, is that the legal market in ivory contributes to sustaining the illegal market in ivory. It's a simple matter of demand regardless of legalities. The legal supply is finite and as that supply dwindles, the pressure to keep up with demand shifts to illegal supplies. Ivory is ivory and doesn't take on a different quality just because it's deemed legal or illegal. The two markets are intimately related.

So to answer L20A's rhetorical question. Yes, throw it away. They don't allow confiscated illegal ivory to circulate for precisely the above reasons - they burn it. Gee whiz, the animals are already dead, why not just let this stuff circulate...?
Old 11-07-2010, 07:07 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by L20A View Post
So if a guitar shop has some old stock ivory saddles, what do you suggest that they should do with it?
Throw it away? What good would that do?
Why not use what is a legal saddle, knowing that when it's gone, it' gone.
I still don't see why some of you are disturbed by the use of old stock ivory.
What will be next? How about removing the ivory keys from old pianos.
I don't really have an opinion on what a shop should do with any ivory they have on hand. I'm just reacting to Wade's comment that the trade in legal ivory (demand) has an impact on poaching in Alaska. That kind of information can have a transformative effect on demand if folks stop buying the material.

Same thing with Mad Rose. Even though a lot of the supply was "legally" harvested in Madagascar...lots of the harvesting was done in protected areas after paying bribes to government officials. Gangs are killing each other to control the timber industry. I'm not sure that its as bad as the Mexican drug wars but reading about what's going on has certainly changed my desire to buy any Mad Rose...and if enough folks quit buying the stuff then the demand stops...and the profit disappears and the harm might cease.
Old 11-07-2010, 07:27 PM

I have lurked here and only recently started posting, but I find it refreshing that people can have an intelligent discussion about touchy subjects without resorting to name calling and anger. The reason most forums ban political or religious discussion is that the rhetoric gets so thick that intelligent discourse fly's out the window.

In an ethical and honest world the "old stock" ivory could and should be used. Unfortunately there are those who would lie and cheat there way into selling poached ivory if those exceptions were in place so the only way to even try and stem the slaughter is to make all ivory "illegal" to have.

There are heritage rules in place that will allow you to bring your vintage instrument abroad (to most, not all countries) and not have it confiscated. You still can't sell across borders but you can visit and return as long as you go through channels.

Greg N

Last edited by rlouie; 11-07-2010 at 09:24 PM.
Old 11-07-2010, 08:13 PM

I'll add to the "good discussion" chorus. Many of the decisions we make do have ethical implications and I find it helpful to listen to and participate in the discussions.

Should I ever find myself looking at an old guitar with EI saddle and nut or bridge, this would give me lots to think about. I'm pretty sure I wouldn't purchase after market, even if I completely trusted the source. I hadn't thought about ethical questions regarding FWI... now I wouldn't take it quite so lightly.

Those questions regarding folk who have legacy stashes of EI or even Brazilian rosewood and the ways their use might impact current demand are problematic but they must be asked. I'm not ready to make blanket judgments for other people (although I understand those who would) but I would think long and hard for myself. Again, this threads and others like it have raised important issues for me.
that's me on guitar
Old 11-07-2010, 08:53 PM

I also think that this is a good discussion, and that everyone is making an effort to remain civil.

As for other guitar forums not allowing anything other than the tonal properties of ivory to be discussed, my experience has been just the opposite: whenever ivory gets discussed, regardless of which forum, these issues can and do arise. Ethical issues ARE part of the discussion - and as in any other discussion, individuals are free to consider those aspects or leave them out of their considerations entirely.

whm
Old 11-07-2010, 09:13 PM

Question

I also appreciate this forum and it's members. We can agree to disagree without feeling that we have been unjustly bashed for doing so.
There are truly great members here with a vast knowledge of the guitar world.

Now, any thoughts about tortoise picks?
Old 11-07-2010, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimInCairns View Post
Ivory always looks best on an elephant.

Took that in Rhodesia back in '67.

agree,I very much doubt if anyone could tell the difference between bone or ivory,surprised no one uses dodo bone as that is truly rare,so it must sound great.
Old 04-14-2012, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L20A View Post
Several years ago, when I had a new saddle made for one of my guitars, I was asked if I wanted ivory or bone.
I said that I thought that ivory was illegal and the luthier said that they had some left over stock from way back when.
Nobody wanted to use it any more due to politics.
I had them put the ivory saddle in my guitar and it sounded very nice.
I later started making my own saddles and replaced it with a bone saddle that I compensated. Now I have about 12 saddles of various materials in a bundle and to tell you the truth, I don't know which piece is the ivory one.

Sorry, but I just don't get all the hype about legal ivory.
I'll stick with bone though, because it sounds good, it's cheep and is easy to obtain.
...cheap...
Old 04-14-2012, 08:07 AM

"Yag-Kosha gives a final gift... and a last enchantment." -- Robert E. Howard, "The Tower of the Elephant"
Old 04-14-2012, 08:16 AM

Ivory really helped my Taylor, Bob Colosi made it to match the original and it's licensed and legal.
Old 04-14-2012, 08:36 AM

A very practical side of the question has been mentioned a few times but mostly glossed over. The ivory in question may be legal in the United States, but it is illegal in other countries. Take this into consideration if there's a chance that you'll ever want to bring your guitar overseas. Regardless of the ethics, you wouldn't want it to be seized when you enter.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion