The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-21-2008, 09:55 AM

Finding a used one in my area is a problem. I'd hate to buy something this expensive via the ebay and realize I got a lemon. While most violin vendors (my other instrument) will allow a trial period, I don't see this often with acoustic guitars.
Old 01-21-2008, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hector View Post
I'm thinking that I want to avoid scalloped bracing. But, which under $1,500 Martin model will have the tone closest to the D-28?
Scalloped bracing is a feature found in the finest guitars made. Martin went to non-scalloped bracing as a means of cutting costs, and cutting down on warranty work after WWII. Although non-scalloped bracing became a facet of the Martin tone, there is no doubt that scalloped bracing sounds better.

None of the Martin guitars that cost less than $1500 will have the D-28 tone, and that's the reality of buying a Martin or Taylor. If you want D-28, or HD-28 tones for $1500 look into a Takamine, or on the cheap, a Blueridge.

As of this year, the best deal around will be a new Takamine model, the TAN10C, with a street price of around $1000.
Old 01-21-2008, 10:49 AM

There is an interesting audio comparison of various Blueridge guitars with the closest equivalent Martin at Maury's. Of course you would have to get past that headstock (and the fact that it is not a Martin).

Hector, I'll second the thought of buying a used one - Bryan Kimsey has a very good article on the common issues, but even one needing a reset can be a great guitar. I had been considering selling my old D-18 for $6-700 but instead I let Bryan reset the neck, fix a couple of things and do some hot rodding. I've been offered $1500 for it now and won't sell - it holds its own against GE's and a 1937 D-18 very nicely.
Old 01-21-2008, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitslinger View Post
Scalloped bracing is a feature found in the finest guitars made. Martin went to non-scalloped bracing as a means of cutting costs, and cutting down on warranty work after WWII. Although non-scalloped bracing became a facet of the Martin tone, there is no doubt that scalloped bracing sounds better.

None of the Martin guitars that cost less than $1500 will have the D-28 tone, and that's the reality of buying a Martin or Taylor. If you want D-28, or HD-28 tones for $1500 look into a Takamine, or on the cheap, a Blueridge.

As of this year, the best deal around will be a new Takamine model, the TAN10C, with a street price of around $1000.
I have two thoughts on why I didn't want scalloped bracing. I may be wrong here, but this is my opinion. First off, the top would more durable if it was not scalloped. This is not to say that scalloped is weak, but more material is obviously more support. Second, my understanding is that the scalloping allows the top to vibrate more freely, enhancing low end. I like the Martin tone, but could do with a little less of the low end thump. I currently have a Martin D-16GT and a D-2R. The 16 is hog back/sides with scalloped bracing. The D-2R is laminated Rosewood back/sides. Even though the 16 is mahogany, it seems to have much more low end thump than the rosewood lam. My thinking is this is due to the scalloped top.
Old 01-21-2008, 11:14 AM

Hector,

Two places that to my mind are a little safer to buy used are the Buy and Sell sections here and over at the Martin UMGF, great Martin selection over there all the time.

Rich Macklin Soundclick Website
http://www.youtube.com/rmyaddison

Martin OM-18 Authentic '33 Adirondack/Mahogany
Martin CS OM-28 Alpine/Madagascar
Martin CS 00-42 Adirondack/Madagascar
Martin OM-45TB (2005) Engelmann/Tasmanian Blackwood (#23 of 29)
Old 01-29-2008, 01:42 PM

I found a nice used 2006 D-28 last weekend in a music store while visiting a friend (about 2 hours away). I put it on hold and he's picking it up for me tonight. Hopefully, I'll get it this weekend. Just thought you might want to hear about the conclusion of my search.
Old 01-29-2008, 02:02 PM

Quote:
If you want D-28, or HD-28 tones for $1500 look into a Takamine, or on the cheap, a Blueridge.

There we have it! Unreal.

Sammy
Old 01-29-2008, 02:16 PM

Default Mmv

MusiciansFriend has an MMV in their clearance section for a reasonable price, especially if you got one of their 20% off coupons...
Old 01-29-2008, 02:57 PM

I think you can get new D-28 at Elderlys instruments at a great price

Last edited by MCA; 01-29-2008 at 05:18 PM. Reason: no price rule
Old 01-29-2008, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCA View Post
I think you can get new D-28 at Elderlys instruments for $1700

Not sure if I was supposed say that.
Im sure you werent.
The no price rule.

Sammy
Old 08-23-2008, 11:38 AM
Charter Member

Default neck block

What does the MMV say on the neck block? Does it say "MMV" or just "Custom"?
Old 08-23-2008, 11:59 AM

Location: 3 miles from the Rose Bowl, 3 miles from Dodger Stadium

Hector.......Does it sound sonically and tonally pleasing to your ears? Does the neck and fretboard appeal to your tactile sense? If it does, get it. We all have different auditory/tactile thresholds. Specs aside, get what sounds and plays well to you. Just my dos centavos' worth, brah. Play on, pick often, and prosper. Regards.......KaBoOkIe
Gibson Custom Shop Non-Reverse Firebird ~ Gretsch G6120 TM Chet Atkins + G6128 TSP Duo Jet ~ G&L ASAT Special Semi-Hollow ~ Yamaha SSC-500 ~ Rickenbacker 360/6 + 370/6 + 330/12 ~ Yamaha P-200 Digital Piano
-------------------
"Play on, pick often, & prosper."
Old 08-23-2008, 06:41 PM

I'm surprised that some of you feel that the MMV is an inferior guitar to the D28 and others. I just recently bought one myself, and was blown away by the sound. I tried it up against a D28, HD28, and a D35. I felt that this guitar sounded better than the others. This was done at 2 different Guitar Centers, and with the same results with all of the guitars. The other models sounded somewhat dull to me compared to the MMV. The bass wasn't as boomy, and the highs had a bit more sparkle. I don't know, I can only go by my ears.
Old 08-24-2008, 06:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by duaneallen View Post
I'm surprised that some of you feel that the MMV is an inferior guitar to the D28 and others. I just recently bought one myself, and was blown away by the sound. I tried it up against a D28, HD28, and a D35. I felt that this guitar sounded better than the others. This was done at 2 different Guitar Centers, and with the same results with all of the guitars. The other models sounded somewhat dull to me compared to the MMV. The bass wasn't as boomy, and the highs had a bit more sparkle. I don't know, I can only go by my ears.
Duane,

If it blows you away what others thing doesn't matter. I think the MMV is a wonderful guitar and has a great tone, but respectfully it does not sound like a HD-28V or D-28 Marquis. Physically it can't, different woods and different bracing.

I have owned a lot of Martins, you do get something as you move up the food chain, and it's not just bling, it's a more refined complex sound. People who can afford expensive guitars are not stupid or they wouldn't have the money in the first place. IF the MMV sounded as good as any Martin I wouldn't have a house full of them.

Dont' get hung up on "inferior", it's less expenisive and something has to give. My first guitar was $60 to provide some perspective.

Guitars like the MMV are made to introduce people to the Martin sound at a price most can afford. If you like it in time you will move up the food chain, whether you believe that now or not, just like folks go from econocars when they are young to more expensive cars in middle age when they have a few bucks.

Enjoy your MMV, if you love the sound it won't be you last Martin, I wish you many in you personal journey!

Rich Macklin Soundclick Website
http://www.youtube.com/rmyaddison

Martin OM-18 Authentic '33 Adirondack/Mahogany
Martin CS OM-28 Alpine/Madagascar
Martin CS 00-42 Adirondack/Madagascar
Martin OM-45TB (2005) Engelmann/Tasmanian Blackwood (#23 of 29)

Last edited by rmyAddison; 08-24-2008 at 07:54 AM.
Old 08-25-2008, 05:55 PM
Charter Member

In researching the MMV model, I ran across this thread and felt the need to reply even though it is an old thread, because others might be researching this model and believe what is said. Guitslinger suggests that an MMV sounds like an old Stella and is strictly an amateurish instrument, based on the arrangement of its top braces. This is bunk. Do you think that Martin came up with A-frame x-bracing because they were trying to find a way to make crappy guitars? Do you think that they really save a lot of production costs by arranging the braces in a different pattern? I don't think so. They designed the new bracing patterns because someone liked the sound and structural support (e.g., Brian Kimsey - check his website). A lot of Martin buyers only want traditional Martin designs and sounds, but to suggest that these innovations "lack any real complexity in the sound" and puts them "in the amateur class of instruments" reflects a very simplistic view of what makes a quality guitar. I'm not bringing this up to try to argue with Guitslinger, whoever he is; just to provide a balanced perspective to anyone else who might be researching various Martin models.

Quote:
The MMV is essentially a D-15 model; it has A-X bracing. The 16 series has hybrid-X bracing which features scalloped braces, and includes two tone bars. The A-X bracing includes one small tone bar, with no scalloping.

I thought I liked the MMV too when I compared one to the other Martin models, including the HD-28. After test driving one for a month, I realized that it was nowhere near the guitar I thought it was. Though the MMV has a lot of bass, it lacks any real complexity in the sound, which is fine if you want to sound like you're playing country blues on a Stella, but for modern guitar work, the A-X bracing does not cut it, and truly puts the D-15 models, along with most, if not all of the custom models made for Musician Friend in the amateur class of instruments.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion