The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 06-24-2016, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gutch View Post
Poets use a lectern when they recite their poetry, reading from a page.

Authors, during public readings of their book, will not have the section memorized but, rather, will read directly from the book.
Yes but if these book sections had been played on the radio and in the home and car and listened to for years, you WOULD hear objections about them reading from a page I think.
Not to mention the fact that there is much more meat to memorize there, as in the case of classical musicians who are actually reading hundreds of notes verses 5 or 6 chord boxes.

That's like comparing NASA launches to geometry homework.
NASA scrubbed their launch yesterday so its ok that I skipped MY homework too. Not NEARLY the same thing.
Old 06-24-2016, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Eyed Junko View Post
My wife is sort of my gauge for these things, since she knows nothing about playing music, but she loves seeing live music.
Anyway, we saw someone the other day playing guitar and singing with a music stand, and she remarked (unprompted) how unprofessional it looks.

Not sure I would say "unprofessional," but I do agree with her that it creates less of an impression.

And as for the ubiquitous comparisons to classical musicians and the like who use music stands, it's just a silly argument to make. That type of performance, which needs to be precise and which has so many moving parts, is nothing like one guy strumming chords.

That said, if you need the music stand, or if you just feel more comfortable, go for it. But keep in mind that certain laymen, like my wife, may be taking note.
Exactly - you are both right on the money!

Now if you are using a music stand with the idea of jettisoning it once you learn the stuff that's fine I guess, but then why not just practice it at home until you don't need the stand?
Old 06-24-2016, 01:39 PM

No stand. Learn to play from the heart....
Old 06-24-2016, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfq722 View Post
Exactly - you are both right on the money!

Now if you are using a music stand with the idea of jettisoning it once you learn the stuff that's fine I guess, but then why not just practice it at home until you don't need the stand?
Maybe that's great for you... I've been playing in a jam session for three years, and it's only the past year that my performance anxiety has subsided to the point where I rarely break out in a sweat when it's my turn. No amount of practicing at home is going to fix that.
Old 06-25-2016, 09:47 AM

I clip my ipad to my mic stand.

Old 06-25-2016, 11:49 AM

The topic of this dead thread resurrection reminds me of something I've heard & noticed a few times over the years....

You can go to a concert or music venue somewhere and you can look around the audience and tell the "music fans" from the "serious musicians" in the crowd...

The "music fan" will be having a good time enjoying and appreciating the music, and the "serious musician" will have his arms folded, with a sneer on his lips while he's critiquing the artist who's playing...
Old 06-25-2016, 01:03 PM

I'm in my 50's, been playing music since I was 10. I've been in orchestras (violin), jazz bands (bass) and rock, klezmer, Americana, folk and Gypsy bands (mandolin, fiddle and guitar).

Always used a stand In orchestra or jazz band. Never used a stand for rock, Americana or bluegrass. In fact, in the old time fiddlers association they absolutely do not allow stands, music, lyric or chord sheets on stage. I'm one of the youngest people in the club. These old guys in their 70's and 80's can remember the chords, lyrics and leads to hundreds of bluegrass, old time, gospel and country tunes. They also pick and sing better than most of the bar bands I've seen.

So no, your old age, too many songs, yada yada excuses don't cut it. If you want to use a stand go ahead because you need or think you need it. Sometimes you want/need a net. But yes, to me as a gigging musician, classically trained, I consider it to look much more professional for the whole band to have their stuff together enough to play from memory. Again, certain genres get a pass (classical, traditional jazz, swing, etc.) I don't make the rules. Folk-derived genres (blues, rock, bluegrass, CW, etc.) lose their authenticity with cheat sheets. I gig usually as a soloist. I have my set list printed out and on my phone. I know the songs, and if I have a brain fart and forget a chord change or lyric, I do what the pros do - fake it. That's part of live music.
Old 06-25-2016, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandobart View Post
So no, your old age, too many songs, yada yada excuses don't cut it.
Lemme see ... I play in a classic country band, a country trio, two singer/songwriter duos; do fill-ins and subs for bluegrass, blues and jazz; and have an acoustic solo act. My "excuses" cut it just fine ... more than 600 songs in rotation. I don't use a music stand or book, but my iPad is clipped discretely to my mic stand, down and to the left. I don't read it, but I might refer to it (when all the above play the same song, in different keys, with different intros and endings, etc, etc). Most in the audience wouldn't know it's there. Of course, YOU would, and that's what you'd focus on? Really? Then stay home.
Old 06-25-2016, 03:17 PM
Guest4562

I simply do a better job when I know the song. I have always hated music stands, didn't even use one when I played in the pit for musicals (I memorized the score). I do see the value of ipads for lyrics, but only for off the wall requests of songs I know musically but haven't played in a while or never really internalized the words to. So, it's sitting there but is mostly unused.
Old 06-25-2016, 05:51 PM

My professional opinion is, well, I'm not a professional and putting on airs is not my style. Then, there's the bit about committing lyrics to memory, which will only happen unconsciously through repetition. That leaves me with a binder of lyrics, a low opinion of myself and an assurance I will at least get the lyrics right. What the audience takes away from that is baggage, if any, beyond the scope of my GASL.
Old 06-25-2016, 06:07 PM
Charter Member

Default I USE A Musc Stand

....but I don't permanently read chords, arrangement notes or lyrics.

i glance downwards just to check the first lnie of the next verse, or who is taking the break etc.

I kep the stand as low as possible - NEVER let the stand come between you and your audience.

see : https://www.facebook.com/chichester....0036773436516/
Old 06-25-2016, 07:12 PM

It comes up regularly, and in this case 4 years later, but do what works for you. Orchestra's that practice daily use stands. Professional pianists use sheet music even when playing just one or two songs. A guitarist that does hundreds of songs, most of which are covers so not written by the player, should at least have the same option if he/she choses. If you're playing as the star or band situation it could be more of a distraction than if you're background music.
Old 06-26-2016, 06:44 AM

I sure didn't need a music stand for 3-4 chord rock songs back in the day with mostly improvised solos. Even then, I still needed a set list. We had several taped to different towers of speakers, amps, or whatnot. I don't need stacks of speakers anymore.

As a mostly solo acoustic performer, it depends. It depends on the set(s) I'm putting together for the gig, how well I know the material, and the type of gig. All things being equal, I'd rather not use a music stand. I do strive to avoid it. However, sometimes I have to. A music stand gives me more options when customizing sets for the audience. I like the option of being able to add songs to my list that I know a new audience will want to hear that I may not have been playing forever. Some folks will just say, "practice the new stuff more, because you got nothing else to do", but those folks probably don't have two jobs with wife and kids at home.

I also might play a gig where I use the music stand for a set and go without for a set. Next time I use one out, I'll kick the thing over when I get to my originals and see if that helps to better connect with the audience.
Larrivee: CS09 Matt Thomas Limited
Taylor: 314ce, 356e, Baritone 8
Timberline: T60HGc
Old 06-26-2016, 01:12 PM

I'm looking at it from an audience member and a artist. If I'm in the audience I really don't care if a stand is needed to help the artist remember words of the music. I just hope they know there work well enough they don't have to stop and fumble through the pages. As an artist ( I use that word loosely for me) I want to give the audience the best music I can. So if I need a stand with the music on it that's what I will do. I'd make sure it wasn't blocking the view and the music is in a neat binder or a I pad.
Old 06-27-2016, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frogstar View Post
Maybe that's great for you... I've been playing in a jam session for three years, and it's only the past year that my performance anxiety has subsided to the point where I rarely break out in a sweat when it's my turn. No amount of practicing at home is going to fix that.
I hear you - and I'm not convinced that ever goes away.
I've played in public for over 3 years now.
We had a friendly little song circle the other night and I was sweating.

The only advice that ever worked for me is: play for yourself, if others want to listen that's great. If they don't, then they will just have to suck it up for 2.5 minutes

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write