The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 06-08-2016, 03:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cim Frode View Post
I see!
What pieces are you working on if it's okay to ask?
Thanks for your reply, Cim.

I'm currently working on Tabula Rasa by Calum Graham (this is very difficult for me but slowly it's getting better) and just started "More Than Words" as arranged by Michael Chapeldaine. Both seem to recommend slapping with the thumb and flicking one of the right hand fingers down to hit the melody note. I can see that the right hand movement is maybe more natural that way but I don't seem to have much control over which string(s) my right hand finger hits. I have been trying to do it by combining the thumb slap with a conventional up-pick with one of the other fingers. My right hand doesn't want to do this but when I can force it do it I feel I have greater control. With practice I think it could become more natural.

A couple of other pieces I'd like to tackle that use percussive techniques are Felicity by Sungha Jung and Kotaro Oshio - Wings, You are the hero.

These are all a bit out of my range but it's nice to have a challenge! Besides. I find it easier to memorize more difficult pieces than ones that I can more or less sight read.

Obviously, I don't expect you to come up with studies for all these techniques just because that's what interests me but I thought I'd mention it as you were asking.

Thanks again!

PS: What's the gel you were recommending for hardening your nails? My index finger nail is always breaking.

Last edited by bvgdez; 06-08-2016 at 03:22 AM. Reason: Additional question as PS
Old 06-08-2016, 04:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillipT View Post
I'd like to make a request since you offered, and demonstrated your willingness to follow through:

I am working on learning/improving Travis Picking over the summer.

Thus far, I have learned and applied some Travis Picking patterns, but haven't really dug into Travis Picking as a broader technique. This may not be your thing, but I thought I'd put it out there since you offered. I'd love some studies in a similar vein as those you posted here that deepened my knowledge of Travis Picking techniques more broadly than particular songs that use a Travis Picking pattern that I kind of learn by rote.

I've been looking over those studies, they seem to get at some of the same ideas, which is one reason why I look forward to playing with them, but they are very cool for their own reasons. Study 1 reminds me of Fernando Sor's B minor study in a lot of ways, with great variations that I think can teach me a lot! I studied classical for about a year to expand my finger-style chops (I'm sold on PIMA, and the sitting position with the guitar as a result), but I'm ready to dig back into finger-style playing. For me, it's different, perhaps not as much so for a pro like you, but while much of the skill set transfers, a lot is also distinctive for me.

I don't know if that makes since, but thanks again for these studies, and your great music!

pt
I understand!
Have you looked at study 2? It's about different picking patterns.
Old 06-08-2016, 04:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bvgdez View Post
Thanks for your reply, Cim.

I'm currently working on Tabula Rasa by Calum Graham (this is very difficult for me but slowly it's getting better) and just started "More Than Words" as arranged by Michael Chapeldaine. Both seem to recommend slapping with the thumb and flicking one of the right hand fingers down to hit the melody note. I can see that the right hand movement is maybe more natural that way but I don't seem to have much control over which string(s) my right hand finger hits. I have been trying to do it by combining the thumb slap with a conventional up-pick with one of the other fingers. My right hand doesn't want to do this but when I can force it do it I feel I have greater control. With practice I think it could become more natural.

A couple of other pieces I'd like to tackle that use percussive techniques are Felicity by Sungha Jung and Kotaro Oshio - Wings, You are the hero.

These are all a bit out of my range but it's nice to have a challenge! Besides. I find it easier to memorize more difficult pieces than ones that I can more or less sight read.

Obviously, I don't expect you to come up with studies for all these techniques just because that's what interests me but I thought I'd mention it as you were asking.

Thanks again!

PS: What's the gel you were recommending for hardening your nails? My index finger nail is always breaking.
I see, have you looked at study 3, it's about slapping with the thumb at the same time when you play a melody. You have to practice it on easier songs first so you know where to hit. Both more than words and tabula rasa is about precision

If you want to hear study 3 it's on instagram the latest clip.

I go to a salon and get my nails done, it's great and lasts long. Many guitarists do this
Old 06-08-2016, 05:55 AM

Quote:
I see, have you looked at study 3, it's about slapping with the thumb at the same time when you play a melody. You have to practice it on easier songs first so you know where to hit. Both more than words and tabula rasa is about precision

If you want to hear study 3 it's on instagram the latest clip.

I go to a salon and get my nails done, it's great and lasts long. Many guitarists do this

Study 3 Looks really good for that technique. I'll give it a try at the Weekend. No guitar until then. I'll have to ask my daughter for help with instagram.

Don't they give you a funny look at the nail Salon? But others have recommended that too, so maybe I should take the plunge. Maybe my daughter can help me there too!

Tusen takk! (OK, it's probably not Swedish, but it's the closest I can get without googling it)
Old 06-08-2016, 11:00 AM
Charter Member

Thanks, this looks interesting. It's always good to get a break from I IV V

Youtube! Please subscribe!

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 06-08-2016, 11:02 AM

Quote:
I understand!
Have you looked at study 2? It's about different picking patterns.
Yep. Printed it up. Thanks!
Old 06-09-2016, 04:07 AM

Quote:
Study 3 Looks really good for that technique. I'll give it a try at the Weekend. No guitar until then. I'll have to ask my daughter for help with instagram.

Don't they give you a funny look at the nail Salon? But others have recommended that too, so maybe I should take the plunge. Maybe my daughter can help me there too!

Tusen takk! (OK, it's probably not Swedish, but it's the closest I can get without googling it)
I think everyone looks a bit disgusted when they see a male with long nails, but when they understand what for they understand immediately, so don't think about that mate

Du är välkommen!
Old 06-09-2016, 04:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBman View Post
Thanks, this looks interesting. It's always good to get a break from I IV V
Thank you for playing my music
Old 06-09-2016, 04:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillipT View Post
Yep. Printed it up. Thanks!
Great, good luck!
Old 06-18-2016, 05:07 PM

thank you!!
Old 06-19-2016, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by neomastino View Post
thank you!!
You're welcome!
Old 06-19-2016, 11:51 AM

Okay, I have added 6 more studies with video so you can hear them as well, as it can be hard reading a vista.

http://cimfrode.com/free-tabs/

Have a great sunday fingerstyle friends

/ Cim
Old 06-19-2016, 12:21 PM

Cim, Thanks very much for the new studies and the videos to go with them. It always helps to know what it's supposed to sound like and see how it's played!

What might be helpful for some (I mean for myself, of course) is if (where appropriate, e.g. slapped harmonics) you could do a very short demo of the particular technique itself in isolation and in slow motion. This is not a criticism, just a suggestion. The material you've provided is very useful as it is.
Old 06-19-2016, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Cim, Thanks very much for the new studies and the videos to go with them. It always helps to know what it's supposed to sound like and see how it's played!

What might be helpful for some (I mean for myself, of course) is if (where appropriate, e.g. slapped harmonics) you could do a very short demo of the particular technique itself in isolation and in slow motion. This is not a criticism, just a suggestion. The material you've provided is very useful as it is.
Sure, I can make a close up video of the technique, thank you for your input, I'm just glad for your feedback

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write