The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 06-15-2016, 08:41 PM

Default Improvising in A minor pentatonic

I am brand new to improvising and soloing. My teacher has given me a backing track for House of the Rising Sun in A minor.

Is it accurate to say that the only open string I cannot play in this scale would be the open B string? Since all other open strings incorporate notes within the scale?
Old 06-15-2016, 08:55 PM

Default Improvising in A minor pentatonic

You can play an open B string. Although I would normally play it on the 4th fret G string and use it to slide up to the 5th fret G string
Old 06-15-2016, 08:58 PM
Charter Member

True for the Am pentatonic scale. OK for backing something else. Solo instrumental I would grab other notes (B for example) or it won't be identifiable or very interesting.

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above
Old 06-15-2016, 09:32 PM
Get off my lawn kid

Here's a helpful link...

http://www.freeguitarsource.com/Mino...nic_Scale.html

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 06-16-2016, 03:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sponserv View Post
I am brand new to improvising and soloing. My teacher has given me a backing track for House of the Rising Sun in A minor.

Is it accurate to say that the only open string I cannot play in this scale would be the open B string? Since all other open strings incorporate notes within the scale?
B is the third note of the melody! I'm sure it will work in improv...
Old 06-16-2016, 05:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steev View Post
B is the third note of the melody! I'm sure it will work in improv...
Although B is included in an Am scale, it's not included in an Am pentatonic. Hence, while while could be used, its use wouldn't be appropriate within the context of this particular exercise.
Old 06-16-2016, 08:42 AM

I would use it as a passing note. It's very nice to bend up to the minor third and then go on from there. IMO that sound is pretty important in pentatonic scale work. bend, slide, hammer-on/off.
Old 06-16-2016, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Interesting choice for backing track. The vocal melody is in A minor pentatonic, but the chords use all the notes of the A minor scale, including both 6ths (F, F#) and both Gs (G, G#).
Not a problem necessarily, but you may find one or two of the minor pent notes don't sit too well against one or two of the chords. Use your ears
Quote:
Correct.
You'll find the B note sounds just fine when you get to the E chord - but I guess the point of the exercise is to stick to A minor pent: a good challenge to find notes in the scale that do fit (most of them work on most of the chords), and to keep your ears open for ones that don't. (I'd recommend playing along with the Animals version first and trying to copy the vocal melody; use it for hints on phrasing, as well as how to fit the notes to the chords.)

It's more of a challenge than the usual blues BT, where you can more or less play anything over all of it.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write