The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 07-20-2012, 11:24 AM

I played on 12s for a while. Then I got my own acoustic and found it to play a bit more difficult. Found out that it was due to the heavier (13) strings.

Because I assume my dread has been built to 13 gauge strings, I stick with 'em.

My next guitar will be a smaller bodied guitar, most likely - will take lights then (because these are often not built for mediums).
Old 07-20-2012, 05:05 PM

Thanks for all the replies fellas, I think I will stick with the lights for now until I get a feel for the guitar. Then I will try some mediums so I know for myself. Thanks
Old 07-20-2012, 06:50 PM

I'll take the comfort of 11's lights/custom lights with low action everytime. At age 32 I've got trigger finger in my left thumb and arthritis, so I'm all about playability and not making my hands hurt more than they do.
Old 07-21-2012, 10:58 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddiesorg View Post
Medium gauge strings are not best for every guitar, whether you can handle them or not. With some guitars, they help move the top and bring richness to the tone. With others, it chokes the life out of it.
I, too, have found this to be true. Rather than serving to move the top, perhaps the heavier-gauge strings serve to hold the top in place, so to speak, more firmly than light gauge.

-Bob

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion