The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-26-2009, 04:06 PM

Default Another Humidity Question

Here's the set up:

I have two Taylors...a 510ce and a DDSM. I also have two Oasis case humidifiers and two Oasis hygrometers. My guitars are kept in the basement where it stays about 65 degrees. Ambient humitity is pretty low (mid 20's), but the guitars are monitored constantly. When I play one, I check the other. I started noticing that the DDSM stayed at approximately 10% lower humidity than the 510. It ranged from 47 to 49%. I took both meters out and placed them side by side for a day. Readings were the same. I then put them side by side in the DDSM case. Again, same reading. I put the hygrometers back in their own cases and swapped case humidifiers. The 510 case still show about 10% higher humidity with the humidifer from the DDSM case.

The only variable is the case itself. I commented in an earlier thread that I was disappointed with the DDSM case. I'm thinking that the DDSM case is not as air-tight as the 510 case and is the reason for the difference.

Has anyone else experienced this? Any ideas or experiences would be appreciated.

Acts 4:12
Old 01-28-2009, 09:07 PM

No experience but if one case is lower in humidity than you like, add another sponge, kyser... or whatever to bring it up more.
Old 01-28-2009, 11:38 PM
jackholexxxx

I think in the long run it may be better to invest in a case that is more airtight.
Old 01-29-2009, 12:54 AM

I've found that these small hygrometers can be very inconsistent. To the point where I bought several identical models of different brands and put them all together in various places around my house. I found that they can vary by as much as 15%.

Try putting both hygrometers close together and see if they have the same reading, just to make sure you aren't having hygrometric integrity issues (tm).
Old 01-29-2009, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim_H View Post
Try putting both hygrometers close together and see if they have the same reading, just to make sure you aren't having hygrometric integrity issues (tm).
Jim, I put both hygometers side by side in the same case and got the same reading. I thought it was a hygrometer problem at first, but now I dont think so. Who knows, they could be off anyway...

I may try to seal the DDSM case and see if it makes a difference.

Old 01-29-2009, 02:45 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdwamp View Post
Jim, I put both hygometers side by side in the same case and got the same reading. I thought it was a hygrometer problem at first, but now I dont think so. Who knows, they could be off anyway...

I may try to seal the DDSM case and see if it makes a difference.
Hi mdw...
If you just add one of the sponge-in-a-ziplock rigs to the case that reads lower, I bet it will bring it right up.

Here's a short video teaching you to build one...
Build a case humidifier - click

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 01-29-2009, 02:47 PM

I don't have a hygrometer, however, I have a similar issue.

My Martin Case (plastic), can't be air tight, as my oasis runs out very quickly, while my Larrivee case (much nicer) held moisture much longer and required less frequent changes.

I'll bet it's the case, check how fast each oasis needs to be refilled.
Old 01-29-2009, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljguitar View Post
Hi mdw...
If you just add one of the sponge-in-a-ziplock rigs to the case that reads lower, I bet it will bring it right up.

Here's a short video teaching you to build one...
Build a case humidifier - click

Thanks Larry. I may do that. Thanks for the link.

Old 01-29-2009, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eugenius View Post
I don't have a hygrometer, however, I have a similar issue.

My Martin Case (plastic), can't be air tight, as my oasis runs out very quickly, while my Larrivee case (much nicer) held moisture much longer and required less frequent changes.

I'll bet it's the case, check how fast each oasis needs to be refilled.
The oasis in the 510 case does need filling more often.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion