The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 02-11-2016, 08:15 AM

Default Jam 150?

I have a few questions about the Jam 150. I've been using an AER Compact 60 for most of my gigs (guitar & vocal) it sounds great. But I'll be playing some bigger rooms and will need a bit more oomph! I like the portability of both amps and was wondering about the differences in volume and also bass response. I don't want to go the route of a larger setup - too much hassle for my aging body! I wish I could give the Jam 150 a demo before I but, but no one near me sells them. Any feedback would be appreciated.
Old 02-11-2016, 10:19 AM
Charter Member

I tried the AER, and was impressed, but ended up with a Jam 150 - I am very impressed with the clean, open, musical quality this box has for acoustic guitar and vocals. But I can't say I've tried the 2 against each other in the same space.

Maybe let people know your general location, and you might get an offer to come by and give someones Jam a try. If you are near Berkeley, CA, you'd be welcome to try mine out -
Old 02-11-2016, 10:26 AM

Thanks! I'm in Virginia (outside DC)
Old 02-11-2016, 12:08 PM
Charter Member

I was recently considering an AER Compact 60/3, and I have also played through a Shertler Jam 150. They are both great sounding, quality amps...no question; however, when it came time to upgrade my acoustic amp, I went with The Bud by Henriksen, and couldn't be happier! It has outstanding clarity...really transparent, and the best pure acoustic tone I've heard to date. 135W in a 17#, 9"x9"x9" cabinet, dual channels with independent EQ, both with XLR/1/4" combo inputs and full 48V phantom power. Worth considering IMO...check it out.

http://henriksenamplifiers.com/the-bud-amp/

http://www.guitarworld.com/gear-revi...itar-amp/28635

Martin 000-28EC
'71 Harmony Buck Owens American
Epiphone Inspired by Gibson J-45
Gold Tone PBR-D Paul Beard Signature Model resonator

"Lean your body forward slightly to support the guitar against your chest, for the poetry of the music should resound in your heart."
-Andrés Segovia
Old 02-12-2016, 02:39 AM

Would the Jam be that much better at filling a larger space than the Compact?
Martin J40
Old 02-12-2016, 09:36 AM
Charter Member

I've used the Jam400 about a year and a half, the best test was in a huge warehouse restaurant situation (Two Urban Licks n Atlanta). The larger ported cabinet of the Schertler is fairly amazing when it comes to distributing the sound, it's the main feature that pushed me towards the Jam 400, that and the mini PA aspect. If you want to fill a room w/ lovely high quality sound, there's nothing like the Jam series at that price.

Plus, the Class D power amp designed by Bang & Olufsen is nothing to sneeze at. What you have with the Schertler is a high quality acoustic amp based on hifi principals, excellent preamp, power amp, and high end, well designed, stiff cabinet w/ "optimized 2-way bass reflex construction"

The one thing I'll say about my Jam 400 is that it's not light, but there's nothing like it on the market for high quality sound and that's what compels me to tote the thing to gigs (I'm using a hand truck).

I see they've updated the 150 and it looks lighter than before at 27 lbs, the Jam 400 is 46.5 lbs.

https://secure.schertler.com/en_US/s...lificatori/jam
Old 02-12-2016, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by talkgtr View Post
I see they've updated the 150 and it looks lighter than before at 27 lbs, the Jam 400 is 46.5 lbs.

https://secure.schertler.com/en_US/s...lificatori/jam
Actually, the Jam 150 is still its own bad self—the link you're pointing to is a new product, the Jam. They killed the wood cabinets for the 150, and are reserving those for this new Jam. It costs a bit more, but also constitutes a bit of an upgrade.

For all the tone these produce, I still can't believe we get to sell them for well under $1000.

John
• AGF-only discounts
Free Shipping + Free Returns
Shoreline Rewards
Videos
• Guitars from Taylor | Mcilroy | Larrivee
• Stage gear from K&K | Fire-Eye

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/07...s/namm_x_6.jpg
Old 02-12-2016, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Howell View Post
Would the Jam be that much better at filling a larger space than the Compact?
Frankly, I doubt it. The OP would be far better off in my opinion, adding a decent powered P/A cabinet (or two), and "sizing the rig to the gig".

There are several perspectives from which to view the OP's present situation, and long-term goal. There's the issue of volume/dispersion to match a particular venue, and, the issue of "power".

From the "power" perspective, more watts does not necessarily equate to a more powerful output.... that's more dependent on efficiency. Assuming two amps have the same efficiency,,,, doubling the input-power to one of them, will only yield an increase of 3dB, which is barely noticeable, and furthermore, if that power-increase causes power-compression in the driver, the output-level increase would actually be less than 3dB.

That said, combo-amps simply were never designed to function in the same manner as a dedicated high-dispersion bi-amped P/A speaker for larger venues. A guy like Tommy Emmanuel will happily use his Compact 60 on-stage, when performing to a crowd of thousands, but when he does, he's mic'ing that amp, and sending the output to the P/A for crowd coverage.(using the right tool for the job)
Old 02-12-2016, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pojack1 View Post
Thanks! I'm in Virginia (outside DC)
I saw a couple at Pickers Supply last week. I'm not sure how close that is to you.

http://pickerssupply.com/accessories...m150-amplifier
2012 Eastman HE322CE w/K&K
2013 Breedlove Atlas Stage C25/SRe
2015 Epiphone DR-500MCE/NA w/JJB
2016 Gibson J-15 w/K&K
2016 Recording King ROS G9M
2017 Epiphone Masterbilt AJ-45ME/VSS
2018 Yamaha FS-TA
2018 Taylor 110e w/ES2
2018 AMI JM-SG45 w/JJB
Old 02-12-2016, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby1note View Post
That said, combo-amps simply were never designed to function in the same manner as a dedicated high-dispersion bi-amped P/A speaker for larger venues. A guy like Tommy Emmanuel will happily use his Compact 60 on-stage, when performing to a crowd of thousands, but when he does, he's mic'ing that amp, and sending the output to the P/A for crowd coverage.(using the right tool for the job)
Just so you know; the Jam 150 is bi-amp'd. It's basically a PA in a box.
Old 02-12-2016, 09:07 PM

I have a Unico which is a cousin of the Jam 150 and a very close cousin of the new Jam apparently. Based on the Unico, I think you'll find the 150 is bigger and louder (more oomph) than the Compact 60. Dispersion? One comment I get from my gearhead friends is how much dispersion I seem to get from the Schertler. Not making any radical claims or anything but these amps do have dispersion on par with the consumer grade PA speakers I have used. However they will not have the power or throw.

If you are looking to big rooms and must limit to one box, I think the new Jam would probably be a sweet way to go (again only based on it being very similar to the Unico). It is in the redesigned cabinet reputed to have improved bass response and has the same power ratings. And a few bills cheaper. The Unico has held its own in some pretty loud club situations.

OTOH you get a lot more flexibility with one of the consumer grade powered PA speakers. I have K10s and most of the name guys are building something similar. Then you could use your Compact 60 and when needed add DI to the PA speaker. Two boxes though and I suspect you know about this option.

Sound quality of the Schertler will be at least on par with most any other option.

hunter
Old 02-13-2016, 06:34 AM

Thanks for all the feedback!
Old 02-13-2016, 10:38 AM

http://www.carvinaudio.com/products/ag300

For much less, the made in America right here in San Diego, California Carvin AG300 is the amplifier for your application. Ric
Old 02-13-2016, 10:45 AM
Charter Member

I have a Jam 150 and think it's the best acoustic amp I've played. When I bought mine I went to Django Books here in Seattle. It's an online seller but I called him up and went over to his house to demo some amps.

I played the AER 60, Fishman Loudbox, Schertler Jam150, and Dean Markley all side by side, shootout style. It wasn't even close as to which amp I thought sounded best. The Schertler was far and away the best to my ear for guitar and the vocals are incredible as well.

I play in several types of gigs from small wine bars to local brew pubs to full on band gigs with large house PA systems and the JAM has been great in each type of outing.

Now to your question. I'm not sure the JAM would be appreciably louder than the AER when trying to fill different sized venues. Neither one has a ton of power and their size and often placement don't lend themselves to large room filling tendencies. In larger, louder gigs I use and additional powered speaker on a stick to get up and over the crowd for increased volume and projection. For band gigs I use the direct out to the main PA and use the amp as a monitor.

One quick tip I've found with acoustic amps is I always use an Auralex Gramma
under the amp. Uncoupling from the floor allows you to get rid of some feedback prone frequencies and allow you get more gain without feedback.
Hope there is something in my rambling that helps.
Old 02-13-2016, 12:02 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JStotes View Post
I have a Jam 150 and think it's the best acoustic amp I've played.

In larger, louder gigs I use and additional powered speaker on a stick to get up and over the crowd for increased volume and projection. For band gigs I use the direct out to the main PA and use the amp as a monitor.

One quick tip I've found with acoustic amps is I always use an Auralex Gramma
under the amp.

Hope there is something in my rambling that helps.
Very helpful! Your findings mirrored mine - I just wished I'd had the chance to play all those first and then only buy the Jam -

Since you've gotten there first - any recommendations for a single, powered speaker? I was given a small powered monitor, and have found that its small size works great for those rare occasions I wanna play "electric" in my living room.

And the lead on the Auralex is very good - seems something fun to try out!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification