The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 02-08-2016, 09:29 AM
Charter Member

Default NAD - Henriksen The Bud

My "gear goal" for 2016 was to upgrade my acoustic amp, and I thought I was pretty settled on one, until I read about, heard samples of, and researched The Bud by Henriksen. I received it last Wednesday and spent some time with it over the weekend...WOW!

120W amp in a 17# 9"X9"X9" cabinet! It has dual channels with independent EQ, reverb, & XLR/1/4″ combo inputs--both with full 48V phantom power. Built like a little tank, and made in the U.S.A. http://henriksenamplifiers.com/the-bud-amp/

I've had, or have tried, Fishman, Carvin, Shertler, and a few others, and thought I was sold on the AER Compact 60/3--until I found The Bud. No knock on any of the others...they're all great amps; but, The Bud is the cleanest & truest sounding acoustic amp I have personally ever heard. My Clapton has a K&K Pure Mini in it, which I just plugged direct into the amp with everything set flat to start, and without tweaking a single knob, it sounded simply fantasic! It's a really great sounding amp for vocals as well, and at 120W, it has plenty of power to spare. I'm waiting for my new Sennheiser mic to be delivered, so I can see how well a mic'd guitar sounds through The Bud; however, I'm extremely optimistic that it will sound every bit as good. It's on the pricier side, no doubt; but in this case, you definitely get what you pay for! Super happy with this purchase...

Martin 000-28EC
'71 Harmony Buck Owens American
Epiphone Inspired by Gibson J-45
Gold Tone PBR-D Paul Beard Signature Model resonator

"Lean your body forward slightly to support the guitar against your chest, for the poetry of the music should resound in your heart."
-Andrés Segovia

Last edited by drplayer; 02-08-2016 at 11:30 AM.
Old 02-08-2016, 11:57 AM

I spoke to one of the principals at Django Books about the Bud, and he was very enthusiastic about Schertler, but said the Bud was a one-trick jazz pony. The reviews on Django's website are critical of the Bud's reverb. When you've had a few weeks for the honeymoon to wear off, could you respond to these criticisms? The Bud looks perfect for me, at least on paper. Thanks!
IR Demo, read the description too: https://youtu.be/SELEE4yugjE
My duo's website and my email... [email protected]

Jon Fields
Old 02-08-2016, 12:27 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonfields45 View Post
I spoke to one of the principals at Django Books about the Bud, and he was very enthusiastic about Schertler, but said the Bud was a one-trick jazz pony. The reviews on Django's website are critical of the Bud's reverb. When you've had a few weeks for the honeymoon to wear off, could you respond to these criticisms? The Bud looks perfect for me, at least on paper. Thanks!
Sure will...I haven't messed around much with the Reverb yet, but I'm curious to know what the specific criticisms were about it? Regardless, I can tell you that this amp was designed to be primarily an acoustic amp. Henriksen would really have no need for another jazz amp, since they already produce the JazzAmp 310 & JazzAmp 312. But, I think because Henriksen started as a company with a mission to build a better Jazz amp, that there is somewhat of a perception that that's all they do. However, The Bud is not simply another jazz amp in their line-up...in fact, according to Peter Henriksen, "The K&K pure mini in a Martin D-28" was the set-up they used to help develop their pre-amp in The Bud. FYI, acoustic artist and fellow AGF'er Eric Skye uses The Bud with his signature Santa Cruz 00-Skye guitars. Granted, some of Eric's music has a certain jazz feel to it, but he plays a flat-top, not a jazz-box.

Anyway, I believe Henriksen and a few of their dealers offer a trial period; so, if you wanted to assess one yourself, that might be a good option for you. Again, I've played Shertler, Carvin, and Fishman acoustic amps, and I've heard the AER Compact 60/3, and although very nice, I decided on The Bud . But like guitars, we all have different tastes and preferences, so YMMV.

Martin 000-28EC

"Lean your body forward slightly to support the guitar against your chest, for the poetry of the music should resound in your heart."
-Andrés Segovia

Last edited by drplayer; 02-08-2016 at 01:16 PM.
Old 02-08-2016, 12:28 PM

Glad to hear you're pumped! Congrats. Looks like a great amp!
Carvin PM10A
Fender Mustang I
Old 02-08-2016, 01:48 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
These are criticisms of other Hendriksen amps but are not accurate, at least in my opinion, for the Bud.

I've had mine for a year now so the "honeymoon" is over but my opinion has not changed. They've made some improvements over my original model: input gain, tweeter switch, etc. but I still think it's the best amp for what I use it for.

It does the clean jazz guitar sound very well with fine reverb. It also has enough EQ to do acoustic guitar very well. I've used it for many solo guitar gigs.

I also use it as a tiny PA with drum machine (BeatBuddy) and bass or tracks and guitar. Works very well in a small to medium room. I'm considering the extension speaker for even more coverage but I rarely play larger rooms.

I also gig with a Carvin AG300 when I need an extra channel. The Carvin has a 12" speaker for the lows and has slightly more thump than The Bud but you'd never know if not comparing side by side. The Carvin could also probably fill a bigger room but I've not had the occasion to do that. The Carvin is of course much less portable.

I really could not ask for more in The Bud especially considering the portability and it fits in a great little gig bag.
Old 02-08-2016, 03:01 PM
Charter Member

Great to hear more about the Bud... I've been wanting to hear some actual "hands on" experiences with it, especially for those who are using it when performing both acoustic guitar and vocals...

I am very happy with my AER Compact 60/2 at present... it puts out an amazing quality and volume of sound for 12#s and 60 watts... but I have also been intrigued by the Bud, as well...

Really glad you are pleased with your purchase; thanks for the initial review, and I look forward to more detailed, "in-depth" tales of it's performance!
and the things I hold dear
are near...
And I always find my way back home."

"Home" (working title) J.S, Sherman
Old 02-08-2016, 04:14 PM

I am currently using a ZT Lunchbox Acoustic when I don't bring my PA. It sounds fine with my T5z and even has enough volume for the occasional un-mic'd pit band gig with a few horns. At <13 pounds and 10x8x7", that is a pleasure.

Now the minuses...
  1. The handle is uncomfortable and I had to buy the bag; though the bag is integral to a single trip from the car.
  2. The guitar channel sounds not so good with my JJB 330 Taylor, which sounds great plugged directly into my Yamaha DBR10.
  3. The Mic channel is high (maybe band) pass filtered (sounds similar to, but a bit worse when compared to my mixer into the guitar channel with its high pass filter switched on) which is maybe a plus for some for vocals but makes the channel unusable to plug in a second guitar. I do an art gallery opening gig every 6 weeks and we can do the vocals acoustically but need something for my guitar and his bass, either of which sounds good (well acceptable for the bass) into the guitar channel and both sound bad into the Mic channel.
  4. There is a pretty good on/off transient if the master volume is not at zero.
I was thinking about an AER Compact 60-3 given the MF President Day pricing but I doubt I was going to go for it.

The Bud seems like a better upgrade; similar size to the ZT, more power than the AER, good handle, identical channels, etc. Though maybe the heaviest of the three.

Do you typically pay full MAP for Henriksen products?
IR Demo, read the description too: https://youtu.be/SELEE4yugjE
My duo's website and my email... [email protected]

Jon Fields
Old 02-09-2016, 06:48 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
The Bud seems like a better upgrade; similar size to the ZT, more power than the AER, good handle, identical channels, etc. Though maybe the heaviest of the three.
I don't know what the others weigh, but The Bud is only 17#

Quote:
Do you typically pay full MAP for Henriksen products?
I believe you do, but you may want to contact the dealers directly and inquire. Depending on circumstances (i.e. payments method, etc.), they might possibly offer slight discounts...but I don't know that for certain.

Martin 000-28EC

-Andrés Segovia
Old 02-09-2016, 07:55 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drplayer View Post
Again, I've played Shertler, Carvin, and Fishman acoustic amps, and I've heard the AER Compact 60/3, and although very nice, I decided on The Bud . But like guitars, we all have different tastes and preferences, so YMMV.
I've owned a Schertler Jam 400 and gigged with it for over a year. Still haven't heard anything that touches it in sound quality and versatility.

But i'm glad you are happy today.
Old 02-09-2016, 10:44 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by talkgtr View Post
I've owned a Schertler Jam 400 and gigged with it for over a year. Still haven't heard anything that touches it in sound quality and versatility.

But i'm glad you are happy today.
That's great, and that's why it's good that there are numerous quality amps to choose from. Curious though, if you've heard The Bud in person, or just on YouTube? I have no experience with the Jam 400, but have played through the Jam 150. It's a great amp, but I chose The Bud; so yes, I'm happy today, and I suspect I'll be happy for a long time to come.

FYI, Eric Skye has gigged with his Bud for over a year, and it has become his amp of choice. Per Eric, it is "Small, powerful, super clean, all the right EQ spots, two identical channels... Built like a tank... I mostly use it as a micro PA to mic my guitar (full 48v BTW)....I sold my AER stuff a few weeks after getting my first Bud." So, it's all a matter of personal taste and specific needs I guess. There are a lot of good amps out there--I just happen to like this one best...

Martin 000-28EC

-Andrés Segovia
Old 02-09-2016, 02:04 PM
Charter Member

deployer, I never would have posted in your thread but for the comparison you made between "Fishman, Carvin, Shertler, and a few others, and thought I was sold on the AER Compact 60/3".

They all do different things, for size and portability I'll be the Bud is nice. I could see it as a stage monitor.

I use the Schertler Jam 400 w/ two vocals and two guitars and am able to fill a warehouse sized restaurant with exceptional hifi sound, the two amps are in completely different categories.
Old 02-09-2016, 02:23 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by talkgtr View Post
deployer, I never would have posted in your thread but for the comparison you made between "Fishman, Carvin, Shertler, and a few others, and thought I was sold on the AER Compact 60/3".

They all do different things, for size and portability I'll be the Bud is nice. I could see it as a stage monitor.

I use the Schertler Jam 400 w/ two vocals and two guitars and am able to fill a warehouse sized restaurant with exceptional hifi sound, the two amps are in completely different categories.
No problem, I get it. Again, I didn't mean anything as a criticism...as I stated, they're all great amps. The comparison I made was simply based on my personal preference, based on specific amps I've had exposure too. Many (including TE) choose AER, others like yourself choose Shertler, etc. In this class of amp--assuming the features meet your needs--I really can't imagine going wrong with any choice.

Martin 000-28EC

-Andrés Segovia
Old 02-12-2016, 12:16 AM
Charter Member

I've used the "Bud" for over a year on big and small gigs and I love it. I use it with a Henriksen 10" extension cabinet when I want to play and sing in smaller venues. In large venues I use the Bud as a stage monitor with the DI out going to the board (it's noiseless).
There's nothing better than carrying my guitar in one hand and the Bud (in it's bag) hanging on the other shoulder...one trip in and out!
It is exactly what Peter Henriksen said it was designed to do and I'm happy to have it!
Bat McGrath
Old 02-16-2016, 04:08 PM

+1 for The Bud. I've only had mine for a week or two and not gigged yet, but the tone is full-range, accurate (to my ears) and powerful.

They put a bass port on the bottom of the amp and it's got big feet so the lows
get shot down and out - and they've crafted the response so that it's very smooth all the way down. No boxiness whatsoever.

I was ready to enjoy it as a "small amp" - prepared for trade offs in tone, especially in the low end, but it honestly sounds like a 12" speaker to me. I've spent a lot of time playing a 335 through it too (older model w/Seymour Duncan Seth Lover PUs) and the tone is captivating - juicy, smooth, full-range,and the highs are sweet and round like a tube amp and despite its tiny size, very little if any coloration to my ear.

I'm not gigging much at the moment but next time I do it'll be with The Bud. I could see selling some of my less used tube amps now that I've got this. Accurate without being sterile - very tube-like tone to my ear.

YMMV of course.

I love acoustic guitars!
Old 02-18-2016, 05:25 PM
Charter Member

Great info from all as The Bud has been on my radar of potential amps for some time. Currently running an SA220 as our main amp with a Fishman Artist as our 'small/portable' solution (not that the SA220 is hard to carry/setup).

I like the look and the concept of The Bud and I'm wondering if it's not a 'one-amp' solution for us. We don't play out much and when we do it's usually open mics where we don't bring an amp anyway. I could sell the SA220 and the Artist and be well on my way to having the funds for The Bud.

I'd really love to see/hear one in person. Hearing them (or any amp/guitar review) on You Tube is great but nothing like hearing it in person. I really like that Eric Skye likes it, plays it, and raves about it but then again he is (I assume) a paid endorser of this amp, so you have to take that with a grain of salt.

But then again, it's Eric Skye - he's one of us! And since I also play a Santa Cruz OO size guitar, Eric and I are practically the same. Except, of course, for that whole wicked talented part...

Anyway, keep the comments and reviews coming. I hadn't seen much written on these since they came out so I'm glad to see several actual users chiming in. Bat McGrath from Nashville's comments certainly carry a whole lot of weight as well!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification