The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 02-07-2016, 04:28 PM

Default Anthem SL Mic Level Control

This is just a question for Anthem SL users. I was wondering how many of you have played with the mic level control? I played my first show with the SL and although my tone was very natural, it was also quite bright and thin. I recently had the Lyric in my guitar as well and I had the same complaints. I was expecting the SL to be warmer with more bottom end but I definitely underwhelmed, especially with single note lines.

Also, I wonder if any of you know where the mic level control is set when it ships? I assume it's on full but I am not sure.
Old 02-07-2016, 05:08 PM

Even though the mic level control is supposed to be set it and forget it, I find that it needs to be adjusted ever so slightly from time to time, or sometimes to better suit the acoustics or sound system of the venue.

It's hard to tell where I've got mine set but I believe it is at about 50%. I will typically turn the mic up so that I really hear it -- will become too bright and thin like you said -- and then I will roll it back a bit. Go slowly as even a fraction of a turn seems to make a big difference in my opinion.

Another thing I did, and it might sound dumb but someone on this forum recommended it some time ago -- I put a tiny bit of Post-It Note on the bottom of the saddle so that it is between the saddle and the Element pickup. For me, this really made a big difference and helped mellow out the tone a bit.
Old 02-07-2016, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beagle1 View Post
Even though the mic level control is supposed to be set it and forget it, I find that it needs to be adjusted ever so slightly from time to time, or sometimes to better suit the acoustics or sound system of the venue.

It's hard to tell where I've got mine set but I believe it is at about 50%. I will typically turn the mic up so that I really hear it -- will become too bright and thin like you said -- and then I will roll it back a bit. Go slowly as even a fraction of a turn seems to make a big difference in my opinion.

Another thing I did, and it might sound dumb but someone on this forum recommended it some time ago -- I put a tiny bit of Post-It Note on the bottom of the saddle so that it is between the saddle and the Element pickup. For me, this really made a big difference and helped mellow out the tone a bit.
Good to know, thanks! I have a feeling mine is set at the full position as my tone is just too bright. It actually sounds like it's 100% tru-mic. That's a minor complaint with the Lyric and SL. I find the small screw control for the presence on the Lyric and mic level control on the SL, is difficult to set. I never really know where I am, it's difficult to get to and minor adjustments cause a noticeable change.

As for the "post-it note" suggestion, I can understand the rationale but I am hesitant to stick anything more in between my saddle and bridge.
Old 02-07-2016, 09:43 PM
Charter Member

I've commented several times about that very thing... in my opinion, it really pays to dial-in the balance you like with your main sound system... of course, that setting may change with other systems, regardless of quality...

I am fortunate that the balance I set with my Bose system works well with my AER Compact, too... (with a little tweaking of the tone controls!)

I've noticed when I go and sit-in with friends using their systems, that I could reset that balance, but frequently I don't get the chance or time to do it...

There are no markings on the set screw, but I would guess that I favor the UST, probably 60%-40%, and even a bit more with my 12 string. The True-Mic, by itself, does not sound so good to me; as you mentioned, it can sound a bit tinny or harsh. With the Element handling the lower frequencies raised in the balance, the pickup sounds much more natural to me.

As Beagle1 replied, I have also changed that setting from time to time, depending upon what my ears want to hear...
and the things I hold dear
are near...
And I always find my way back home."

"Home" (working title) J.S, Sherman
Old 02-08-2016, 05:48 AM

I tend to err on the side of dialing in too much mic, then cutting both the high end and around 250Hz. My cedar topped guitar tends to be heavy in the low mids as it is, and I also suspect that the Anthem SL is overly strong in that area because 250Hz is the crossover frequency where both the UST and the mic are contributing to the signal.

It looks like my EQ may be getting even more complex as I'm starting to experiment with using the Anthem SL with my Zoom A3. With the A3, I can put a virtual 2 band parametric EQ in series with a virtual 6 band graphic EQ or another virtual 2 band parametric EQ. On top of that, I still have a basic 3 band EQ available for "quick and dirty" adjustments at the gig.

In any event, I can't find total satisfaction with just a mic level adjustment with my particular rig.

Last edited by guitaniac; 02-08-2016 at 10:11 AM.
Old 02-08-2016, 06:43 AM

Guitarniac - I also have the A3, but I can't use three EQs as you suggest - the A3 only really has TWO slots available, since the first slot is hardwired for the Piezo modelling.

This really sucks, since I now have a Trance Audio amulet, and would like to use the unused FX slot for something.

If you've found a way around this please let me know. Has there been an update for the A3 I missed?
Old 02-08-2016, 09:05 AM

Personally, I have found that the mike adjustments I make will very with the venue and the amplification system whether it be an amp or P.A. or whatever. Additionally, the specific guitar and woods have a certain degree of effect on the types of adjustments necessary.
When mine was installed, I am pretty sure it was factory pre-set at 50-50.
I am running my Larrivee' through a mixer and powered speakers. I find that 60% UST 40% microphone works best most of the time. Too much microphone renders
Baggs has a plastic tool for adjusting the screw if you can get your hands on one.
It' about 6 inches long and is has a screwdriver tip on it, made specifically for the purpose.
Old 02-08-2016, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by se7ent7 View Post
Guitarniac - I also have the A3, but I can't use three EQs as you suggest - the A3 only really has TWO slots available, since the first slot is hardwired for the Piezo modelling.

This really sucks, since I now have a Trance Audio amulet, and would like to use the unused FX slot for something.

If you've found a way around this please let me know. Has there been an update for the A3 I missed?
I'm only using the two available signal chain slots for the two virtual EQs in series. The "quick and dirty" EQ which I'm referring to is the basic three band EQ which is controlled by the top row of three knobs which are labeled "bass", "middle" and "treble". Its interesting to note that the "middle" knob cuts at a center frequency of 700Hz and boosts at a center frequency of 400Hz. That's pretty unusual.

And yes, it "sucks" that the 1st signal chain slot can't be used for a non-modeling effect. The modeling doesn't work well with every pickup type. That said, the A3 still offers a lot of useful features for the price. You can spend more on a single channel 3 band parametric EQ.
Old 02-08-2016, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petty1818 View Post
This is just a question for Anthem SL users. I was wondering how many of you have played with the mic level control? I played my first show with the SL and although my tone was very natural, it was also quite bright and thin. I recently had the Lyric in my guitar as well and I had the same complaints. I was expecting the SL to be warmer with more bottom end but I definitely underwhelmed, especially with single note lines.

Also, I wonder if any of you know where the mic level control is set when it ships? I assume it's on full but I am not sure.
I've been using the SL for a few years now. The most important thing to understand is when you're adjusting the mic level you are also adjusting high frequency response because that is all the mic is providing. All low frequencies come from the pickup. The SL is very warm providing you set the levels correctly! If you set the mic too high it will sound thin and brittle. It's absolutely critical to get the appropriate balance between pickup and mic which isn't really all that difficult. Here's a tip: Begin with a full range sound system whether that be a decent acoustic amp or PA, reference monitors or headphones, lay the guitar on your lap and turn the adjuster all the way down. Strum the strings a few times to get a feel of what it sounds like with no mic! Then turn up the adjustment until you've gone noticeably too far to an overly bright thin signal. Back it off until it feels right and play for a while. Try to listen with the volume up louder than the guitar so you can hear mainly the amplified sound without the ambient sound of the guitar influencing your ears. Try 2 or 3 placements on the adjuster until it sounds most like the guitar in terms of high and low frequency balance. Understand that you will still likely need some EQ for best results! Anything miked needs some EQ even in the best studio with the best mics! If you set it up right, you should never need to adjust it again, regardless of what some people say. Any differences between sound systems and venues should be able to be handled with EQ either on the main mixer or you own personal gear. A little work up front with save many headaches in the future.
Last, from what I understand this system ships with the adjustment at or near the 12:00 position (half way) but that is only a starting point because there is no one setting that works on all guitars as each has it's own voice!
Old 02-08-2016, 05:21 PM

Thanks everyone! It's good to know that the majority of you are using the mic level control to adjust the desired tone. It gives me hope that I can dial in a warmer and fatter tone than I was experiencing at my last show. I have not checked the box since my luthier put it in, but I am pretty sure that Baggs ships the pickup with the adjustment tool.

I feel as though mine was set high. It does say in the manual though that setting the mic level control is key to getting a great sound. With that said, some of you posted comments that would lead some to believe that the mic level control is a mix knob. It has more to do with the frequency range than the mix/blend. Mine just sounds like the tru-mic is just a little too bright. I need a bit more bottom end.
Old 02-08-2016, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Thanks everyone! It's good to know that the majority of you are using the mic level control to adjust the desired tone. It gives me hope that I can dial in a warmer and fatter tone than I was experiencing at my last show. I have not checked the box since my luthier put it in, but I am pretty sure that Baggs ships the pickup with the adjustment tool.

I feel as though mine was set high. It does say in the manual though that setting the mic level control is key to getting a great sound. With that said, some of you posted comments that would lead some to believe that the mic level control is a mix knob. It has more to do with the frequency range than the mix/blend. Mine just sounds like the tru-mic is just a little too bright. I need a bit more bottom end.
The main reason for the Anthem SL's having an adjustable mic level is that the UST level will vary somewhat from guitar to guitar, due to mechanical aspects of the UST installation. Unlike the Lyric's presence control, which is a tone control, the Anthem SL's mic level control is a balance control, in the sense that you want the mic level to be in proper balance with the UST level.
Old 02-08-2016, 09:16 PM
Charter Member

Cool Nope...

Quote:

Nope... not on the SL version... on the SL the consumer can do NOTHING about the frequency that the UST produces... you can add a bit or take some out, but you can't adjust the tone of it...

Obviously, you can do this with your eq on the mixer/amp, but all that little set screw does is adjust how much UST is in the mix... and like I said before, I personally favor much more of the UST than I would have guessed that I'd like. Your ears may hear something different.

Never heard the one about the UST's tone varying from guitar to guitar before. Until I hear it from a Baggs tech, I don't think I'll go there... there may be a little variance, but I'd guess not very much at all...
and the things I hold dear
are near...
And I always find my way back home."

"Home" (working title) J.S, Sherman
Old 02-08-2016, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jseth View Post
Nope... not on the SL version... on the SL the consumer can do NOTHING about the frequency that the UST produces... you can add a bit or take some out, but you can't adjust the tone of it...

Obviously, you can do this with your eq on the mixer/amp, but all that little set screw does is adjust how much UST is in the mix... and like I said before, I personally favor much more of the UST than I would have guessed that I'd like. Your ears may hear something different.

Never heard the one about the UST's tone varying from guitar to guitar before. Until I hear it from a Baggs tech, I don't think I'll go there... there may be a little variance, but I'd guess not very much at all...
Maybe I wasn't clear in my post. I meant the frequency of the tru-mic can be adjusted, not the UST. It's a bit unclear because I read posts like yours about it being basically a mix control yet over at the Lr Baggs forum, they discuss the control as being for the requency of the tru-mic and not a mix control.
Old 02-09-2016, 07:50 AM

Here's what the Anthem SL installation manual says about the mic level control:

"A. MIC LEVEL CONTROL (Adjusts the level of the Tru • Mic relative to the
level of the Element)

IMPORTANT: Setting this control correctly is vital to the sound of the Anthem
system. Play through a P.A. or acoustic amplifier while you are making adjustments. A small flat-head jeweler’s screwdriver will be needed."

If the mic level control also happens to adjust the mic tone in some way, as opposed to simply controlling the overall level, I'd be interested in seeing the Baggs Forum thread where that's being stated.

The Lyric system's tiny screw control is indeed a tone control. Perhaps that's the source of some confusion.

Last edited by guitaniac; 02-09-2016 at 09:13 AM.
Old 02-09-2016, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitaniac View Post
Here's what the Anthem SL installation manual says about the mic level control:

"A. MIC LEVEL CONTROL (Adjusts the level of the Tru • Mic relative to the
level of the Element)

IMPORTANT: Setting this control correctly is vital to the sound of the Anthem
system. Play through a P.A. or acoustic amplifier while you are making adjustments. A small flat-head jeweler’s screwdriver will be needed."

If the mic level control also happens to adjust the mic tone in some way, as opposed to simply controlling the overall level, I'd be interested in seeing the Baggs Forum thread where that's being stated.

The Lyric system's tiny screw control is indeed a tone control. Perhaps that's the source of some confusion.
I spoke to Caleb at Lr Baggs and he said that when he installs the SL, the first thing he does is back off the mic level control all the way. The tone is muddy at this point so he slowly increases it until it's a tad too bright and then backs it off a bit. I am going to try this. I am just happy that I have the ability to bring back some warmth.

The downside is that for some reason I don't have the adjustment tool. I am not sure if my luthier just forgot to put it back in the box but I will have to see if I can get one.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification