The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 02-04-2016, 01:00 PM

Default Carpeted PA Cabinets Cleaning Dilema

Hi Folks ... how about this one.
Six hours I just spent cleaning the carpet clad Yamaha Club Series V pa system of mine - 2 15" monitors, 2 15" mains and 2 18" subs. I've done this 3 times now in just as many years and don't want to do it anymore. Dog hair, pit hair, wood chips, dust, cigarette stench, cooties etc ... all weave into this wonderful material.

I'd love to have them recovered with tolex however the price is out of this world. Getting rid of them is not an option as they suit my ears as well as my audiences'.

The question is: has anyone in the same boat tried spraying them with something like ScotchGuard to maybe try to eliminate that fuzziness which is the main offender for the collection of debris??
Old 02-04-2016, 01:51 PM

No suggestions for you ... but I feel your pain. I stopped buying anything covered in rat fur years ago ... for the same reason. You could consider stripping them, sanding smooth, and painting with something like manufacturers use. Or invest in a set of covers.
Old 02-04-2016, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyAxe View Post
No suggestions for you ... but I feel your pain. I stopped buying anything covered in rat fur years ago ... for the same reason. You could consider stripping them, sanding smooth, and painting with something like manufacturers use. Or invest in a set of covers.
Rat fur is smoother. Good job on the 'covers' idea ... what a dope ... all my guitar amps, heads, mixer, pa outboard gear and microphones are all in cases. You wood think I wood of thought of covers years ago!

I never had to worry about this problem when I had an EV system or, for that matter, a JBL system even longer ago. Only reason I got the fur system was because they sounded better that previous overpriced systems I've had.

Thanks for that RustyAxe ... I am now humbled and feel like a dope. I'll drink to that!!
Old 02-04-2016, 03:28 PM

Burn it off carefully and call them torrifried....
Just kidding
Old 02-04-2016, 03:44 PM

how about removing the carpeting and just painting them black?
Carvin PM10A
Fender Mustang I
Old 02-04-2016, 04:35 PM

Nothing garners more attention on the stage and is easy to clean than well done.........

Tuck and roll
Old 02-04-2016, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by G_Sin View Post
how about removing the carpeting and just painting them black?
That's like wearing torn jeans and looking like a slob on stage. I don't do those kinds of gigs. Mine pay real money. Equipment Matters (to borrow a contemporary phrase)
Old 02-04-2016, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluezguy View Post
That's like wearing torn jeans and looking like a slob on stage. I don't do those kinds of gigs. Mine pay real money. Equipment Matters (to borrow a contemporary phrase)
Just trying to help. How much for the Tolex job?
Carvin PM10A
Fender Mustang I
Old 02-04-2016, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluezguy View Post

Seriously? Look up Duratex! Pros use it a LOT. Pricey, but worth it...rolls on thick & textured. Here's a link to a 2x12 I built and coated with it.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/brwp0tlcva..._7748.jpg?dl=0

bradM - SW Ohio - love to pick!

<{()}>< <{()}>< <{()}>< <{()}>< <{()}><

Last edited by myersbw; 02-04-2016 at 09:46 PM.
Old 02-05-2016, 07:32 AM
Guitar Gourmet

You know, doing covering yourself isn't rocket science. My late father and I built a 2x12" guitar cab in '75 that I still use. We covered it ourselves. Now, some forty-odd years on it has acquired a bit of mojo, but it is still fine. Oh, that speaker that my kids put their fingers through has been replaced with a vintage re-cone. It's a heck of a box. Yes the corners are cheesy.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 02-05-2016, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by myersbw View Post
Seriously? Look up Duratex! Pros use it a LOT. Pricey, but worth it...rolls on thick & textured. Here's a link to a 2x12 I built and coated with it.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/brwp0tlcva..._7748.jpg?dl=0
That looks fantastic!! That's what I had in mind when I suggested paint.
Carvin PM10A
Fender Mustang I
Old 02-05-2016, 10:17 PM

Quote:
That looks fantastic!! That's what I had in mind when I suggested paint.
Thanks, G! Yes, I'm fortunate to have PartsExpress just 20 minutes from my door. A gallon on sale was 60-something, but I had enough for the entire cab and half it left.

Rolling on the coating was MUCH less of a hassle than precision cuts. The stuff is really an ultimate coat. You sand well...and scratches? No wood putty, you use drywall sparkle on it (bonds with wood AND duratex well)...then coat...wait...coat...wait...one more and done!

While wet, you can clean the rollers with water...piece of cake. And, I'm no pro...this was my first cab doing it with. It's very forgiving. Screw up a drip? Just coarse sand the drip off and proceed with a second coat!

bradM - SW Ohio - love to pick!

<{()}>< <{()}>< <{()}>< <{()}>< <{()}><
Old 02-06-2016, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Womack View Post
Yes the corners are cheesy.

Bob
I actually like the brass corners. Gives it a touch of unique-ness if that's even a word.
Old 02-06-2016, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Just trying to help. How much for the Tolex job?
Hey G_Sin ... sorry if I came off sounding aggressive - I didn't mean to at all. I appreciate your and everyone else's comments!

I'm having an upholstery company quote me a price for Fender/Marshall style cabinet slip overs later this morning. I hope they have Paisley pleather available
Old 02-06-2016, 08:07 AM
Guitar Gourmet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fusion01 View Post
I actually like the brass corners. Gives it a touch of unique-ness if that's even a word.
Thank you! It's done a LOT of gigs over a lifetime. Here it is behind me in '78 under my Gibson GA55RVT Ranger amp with me playing in a '50s band:

Check out the biamped bass rig at the right: Fender 300PS head for lows, Ampeg SVT for highs, four cabs: three 1x18" and one 4x10". Awesome thump!

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification