The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 01-29-2016, 01:06 AM

I have literally no experience with acoustic amps, but have a studio with some very high end guitar amps and bass amps, so I'm not unfamiliar with good tone. I picked up a little genz benz shenandoah jr off craigslist a couple of days ago as a kick around amp for a duo monitor for small coffee house gigs, jams etc. I am very impressed with it. 2 channel, 1 with xlr mic input. A little preset fx bank. The fx are pretty lacking, but work pretty decent for just a touch of ambient reverb. At 100 bucks, I have no complaints.
Old 01-29-2016, 04:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyfever View Post
I have literally no experience with acoustic amps, but have a studio with some very high end guitar amps and bass amps, so I'm not unfamiliar with good tone. I picked up a little genz benz shenandoah jr off craigslist a couple of days ago as a kick around amp for a duo monitor for small coffee house gigs, jams etc. I am very impressed with it. 2 channel, 1 with xlr mic input. A little preset fx bank. The fx are pretty lacking, but work pretty decent for just a touch of ambient reverb. At 100 bucks, I have no complaints.
I think there is too much talk about FX i acoustic amps. Most of the major brands have basic but functional features. For example, my AER Compact has a very basic selection of two reverbs, delay and chorus. In practice these are easy to use and balance and fine in a real use setting.

If you do need a lot of FX you are probably best to buy dedicated pedals or a unit such as a Zoom.
Martin J40
Old 01-29-2016, 08:22 AM

Since buying the Fender SFX, I haven't used my pedals at all. The amp sounds great without them.
Guild F-2512 Deluxe CE
Ibanez Acoustic Bass 12 M1
Martin 12 string X Series
Harley Benton Telecaster
EVH Wolfgang

Formerly known as Martin Maniac.....

M
Old 01-29-2016, 11:51 AM

Default Not sure what the budget is, but....

I have been using the Acoustic A1000 for over a year now... and I really like it a lot. I've used the GB Shenandoah 150 and the Fender Acoustisonic and prefer the A1000 over both of them.

http://acousticamplification.com/product/a1000/
Old 01-29-2016, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed-in-Ohio View Post
Carvin AG200...Hands down.
Yup. I'm on my second Carvin amp. Just upgraded from the AG-100 to the AG-200 last year. Love it!

15 - Taylor 322e 12 fret LTD
10 - Taylor 810e Fall Limited
09 - Taylor 814ce
Old 01-30-2016, 11:16 PM

Default Acoustic amp...

I've been through quite a few acoustic amps over the years...the original Fender Acoustasonic JR was one of my favorites, but it's gotten that I can't really carry anything that heavy...I've had several Genz Benz, which weren't bad, but I didn't keep them....one of my favorites has always been the Roland AC-90, which was pretty versatile and sounded great on both vocals and acoustic...I had a Fishman Loudbox Mini for a while...light weight and nice features, but it didn't exactly have the sound I was looking for...I tried the Carvin AG200...lightweight, 3 channels, lots of features, but I never got the sound quite right...I thought the treble was a bit too prominent, so it went back..I think the AG-300 might be a better choice...I tried a Fishman SA220 which I couldn't get used to the sound...I'm on my 2nd Fishman Loudbox Artist, which is pretty good sounding, although for me it is still a little heavy, even at 25 lbs...I don't think you could go wrong with the Loudbox Artist...I recently bought a Fender Acoustasonic 90...I had tried it at local stores, and did not like it...but I got a good deal from MF, so I bit the bullet...I really like it, and a plus is that I can play my electric guitar through it too...and it's only 18 lbs....I have another amp that I like to use for practice and small gigs...it's a Roland KC-110 keyboard amp...it's very light, has three channels including an XLR mic input...I think it sounds better with guitar then it does with keyboard...so I've been through a lot of acoustic amp, but my favorite to amplify acoustic guitar is my Yamaha Stagepas 300 PA...portable, versatile, and sounds great...sorry for going on, but I just wanted to get out my 2 cents +...
Gibson J-35
Larrivee Parlour
Martin Dreadnaught Jr.
Rainsong Shorty
Taylor GS Mini-e Mahogany
Yamaha FSX700SC
Cordoba 20 tm-ce Ukulele
Mitchell Baritone Ukulele
Taylor GS MINI e bass
Old 01-31-2016, 02:41 AM

I found nothing worth spending money on and built my own.
Good luck and good hunting!

*everything* is a tone control
Old 01-31-2016, 04:01 AM

AER Compact 60 here (but I haven't tried the Fishman or Shertler offerings). Don't buy an acoustic amp from a big name electric guitar amp maker. I did a workshop on acoustic amplification a few years ago. Vox, Marshall and Fender acoustic amps just made my guitars sound like bright electrics. Bose L1 Compact was the most expensive and had the best vocal sound (simply the best I've ever heard) but the AER sounded better for guitars. Honourable mention goes to the Roland AC60. Half the price of the AER back then and 90% as good. I also have a Roland AC33 for off grid gigs and I bought a TC VoiceSolo fx150 last year which is just stunning (a worthy runner up to the AER and Bose L1 in joint first place). It's better than the AC33 (and probably the AC60 but I haven't down a side by side comparison) at half the price, £177 in the UK, no battery option though or I wouldn't need the AC33.

If you can afford it do a comparison between the Shertler, Fishman and AER (the Compact 60 sounds better than the AER Alpha BTW). If you can't get that rich try (and buy) the TC VoiceSolo fx150. It's designed for vocals and has glorious reverbs, TC magical "vocal tone" button (it really does do what it says on the tin) and a very good channel eq. Channel 1 has a high impedance switch so it works well with passive guitar pickups and the eq works well with guitars as well as vocals. Remarkable VFM and in a very small package. The AER is probably slightly louder is the only downside to the TC box IMHO.
Mountain D45 (mid '80s)
Brian Eastwood ES175/L5
Gibson Les Paul Custom (1975)
Brian Eastwood '61 Strat
Bitsa Strat with P90s (my main electric)
The Loar F5 Mandolin,
Samick A4 Mandolin
Epiphone Mandobird
Brian Eastwood '51 P Bass
NS Design Wav EUB
Giordano EUB

Last edited by sam.spoons; 01-31-2016 at 04:10 AM.
Old 01-31-2016, 11:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbpark View Post
I have played through a lot of the smaller "budget" (sub $500) acoustic amps and never was that impressed. The Fender acoustic offerings are mostly junk (and I'm a Fender electric guitar, and electric guitar amp guy), the Marshall ASD50 was actually pretty nice, and although I am not a huge fan of Fishman, the Loudbox Mini was VERY impressive. Didn't care for the Rolands at all. With all that said, I ended up with a really, really nice pre-Fender SWR California Blonde. Got it used for $400. Way more than you'll ever need at home, but will also be able to pretty much do ANY gig you want. Super straight-forward and simple controls, no useless effects aside from a half-decent reverb, has effects loops for each channel (mic and instrument), DI out or each, and just sounds **** good.

If you're on a budget I really think you'd be best to exercise patience and scour Craigslist for used acoustic amps. Fishman Loudbox Minis pop up fairly often, of you can luck out and find something like I did. I have been searching since last March for an acoustic guitar amp. Bought a new Fishman and took it back. Did the same thing with the Marshall. They just didn't impress me all that much, or at least enough to keep them, and I'm now glad I held out for the SWR. However I also intend on using the amp for solo, singer/songwriter stuff and with a full band as well. But if I was just looking for something to noodle around with at home, maybe take to jam with buddies, etc., I'd probably go for a Loudbox Mini over all the others. The sound coming out of that little amp was great.

That amp you got right there is a gem. I know of one in immaculate condition I wish I could buy....dang!
Old 02-01-2016, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by donh View Post
I found nothing worth spending money on and built my own.
Good luck and good hunting!
Interesting. How did you go about it? Specs?
Carvin PM10A
Fender Mustang I
Old 02-01-2016, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam.spoons View Post
Bose L1 Compact was the most expensive and had the best vocal sound (simply the best I've ever heard) but the AER sounded better for guitars. .
hi, I am looking for an amp that can produce the sound that close to original guitar and my vocal. Considering AER as well. How good is AER for vocal?
Old 02-01-2016, 11:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by G_Sin View Post
Interesting. How did you go about it? Specs?
I started with the speaker system. It has to roll off smoothly in the lower guitar registers or you get boomy crap and muddy overall sound, and it has to transition smoothly between drivers as any good speaker design should. I went three-way: 12" bass, 6" mid, bullet tweet.

Designed the crossover in a marathon 5-hour session one Sunday afternoon. the woofer and mid didn't follow the computer simulations, but the tweeter did. At least that. Got everything transitioning well and vibrated home.

Thought long and hard about the speaker box construction and consulted with my guitar-building buddies. Came up with a bracing scheme that works nicely, based on stuff I learned from the guitar builders. (tall and narrow, low-mass baltic birch main box) I forget the weight, but I can pick it up with one hand.

I was in the process of auditioning power amps for my business, so I added "guitar amp" to the wish list. I have a short list of acceptable amps. I tend to use the one I can *romp* on, but . . . . . . .

Same with the preamps. I hand-tweaked a moderately popular one and used it for a while, but it was still a bit mushy. There is a rack-mount mixer that works well, and I have a discussion going with Daren of Red-Eye fame about a custom front end.

Specs all tend to be lies. My present configuration has usable response from 40HZ to 20KHz, nominal 500w power (available in present configuration and in speaker handling), multiple mixable inputs, and it sounds natural at all power levels. If you turn it up really a lot in a room you eventually get past the room's ability to contain it and the sound gets a bit much. Outside, no limit. I have gotten applause 85' straight sideways of my playing position when playing outside.

We have used it as a full PA system (guitar, bass, drums, all vocals) for moderate acoustic gigs.

I built a 10" 2-way version that a nice fellow in Wisconsin ended up using professionally. Lighter box, that. He sings, plays guitar and auto-harp. Auto-harp is *hard* to reproduce, my rig did ok. The larger rig did better :-)

*everything* is a tone control
Old 02-08-2016, 05:41 AM

Good stuff

I have used a pair of 2oo2 Mackie450 (only reconed recently since 14yrz of use finally busted one...replaced both of course) and mixer set up for over 2ooo gigs/events. The value of full range "tops" / "monitors" only got better when I purchased powered subs (1x15 & 1x18) to give my acoustic Guitar gigs HUGE sound. At under $2ooo over at 14yr span to boot.
Old 02-08-2016, 06:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neilson View Post
hi, I am looking for an amp that can produce the sound that close to original guitar and my vocal. Considering AER as well. How good is AER for vocal?
The AER is very usable for vocals but remember it has a single 8" speaker. The Bose L1 is unquestionably the best vocal sound I've ever heard and it's very good for guitar, I just preferred the AER for guitar.

If it fits your budget and is acceptable from a carrying/setup POV I'd go for the Bose myself. I didn't as I have a fairly meaty PA system based around QSC K12s with Yamaha DXR10 as monitors and if I need to scale down for smaller gigs and I add my EV sub for bigger gigs.

When you decide what you think will do the job you really need to go and audition a couple to see if reality lives up to expectations
Mountain D45 (mid '80s)
Brian Eastwood ES175/L5
Gibson Les Paul Custom (1975)
Brian Eastwood '61 Strat
Bitsa Strat with P90s (my main electric)
The Loar F5 Mandolin,
Samick A4 Mandolin
Epiphone Mandobird
Brian Eastwood '51 P Bass
NS Design Wav EUB
Giordano EUB
Old 02-11-2016, 07:27 AM

I tried several acoustic amps over the years, a bandmate has a Fishman Mini that he let me try. I loved it but wanted to do vocals through it as well. I bought its big brother, the Fishman Loudbox Artist Pro. Two channels, the ability to EQ some, a few effects, good volume, and portable. I carry it and cables, etc., in a rolling box with extendable handle from Lowe's. In fact everything but my guitar and me goes in there. It becomes the amp stand on stage. My Martin, with Baggs Lyric, does require a rubber sound hole plug to avoid feedback when playing with a band, but the sound is the closest to its unamplified sound that I have found yet. I plug an SM 58 into the second channel for vocals. I have not used the phantom power feature yet.

No complaints and I recommend one.
1979 Alvarez CY 115, #226 of 600
1977 Giannini Craviola 12 String
1997 Martin CEO-1R
1970s C.F. Mountain OOO-18
1968 Standel/Harptone E6-N
1969-70 Harptone Maple Lark L6-NC (Katrina guitar)
Supreme A-12
Voyage-Air VAOM-06
Esteban Antonio Brown Model

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification