The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 01-22-2016, 03:33 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by martingitdave View Post
Yeah, at the $400 mark, this one is also tough to beat.
+ one more. I'd suggest the AG 300, but you did say small....

I think vocals is a strong suit with these. I think the minis are terrific, but fall short for vocals. You might also try a small powered speaker.
2011 Santa Cruz D P/W
Pono OP 30 D parlor
Pono OP12-30
Pono MT uke
Goldtone Paul Beard squareneck resophonic
Fluke tenor ukulele
Boatload of home rolled telecasters

"Shut up and play ur guitar" Frank Zappa
Old 01-22-2016, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed-in-Ohio View Post
Carvin AG200...Hands down.
Another vote for Carvin, but I'd step up to the wider frequency range of the AG300...
Old 01-22-2016, 03:37 PM

Also look at the Kustom PA50. It's a great deal for a small space.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
Old 01-22-2016, 03:49 PM

The Loudbox Mini is fantastic. The Loudbox Artist is even more and it's just a touch bigger. Not enough to matter in handling but you get a lot for that extra. It has phantom power for condenser mics, double the output power, adjustments to kill feedback, and lots of input/output options. Both are small enough to carry and they look nice enough to leave out in the living room. It's a couple hundred more than the mini but as a "one and done" amp it's worth it. The mini is nice but for a modest premium, especially when amortized of the years, the Artist is a worthwhile upgrade. With a coupon or on sale you can cut the price difference substantially. The mini is enough to get by. The Artist is a true pro featured tool.
Old 01-22-2016, 03:53 PM

I tried a number of the cheaper amps, but ended up with the Fender SFX Pro Acoustic Amp. Ya at $899 it's a lot of money but man, it sounds great. That's one amp I may never sell. All my other amps, I'd sell in a heartbeat. The SFX Pro is a keeper.
Guild F-2512 Deluxe CE
Ibanez Acoustic Bass 12 M1
Martin 12 string X Series
Harley Benton Telecaster
EVH Wolfgang

Formerly known as Martin Maniac.....

M
Old 01-22-2016, 04:02 PM

I have recently purchase a Loudbox mini.........very happy!

I love the natural sound this little guy gives and 60 watts is more then covers a small room/café. And it is very light. Also I can use it as a monitor for my SA220.

On the downside, it hasn't got Phantom power and head phones but that doesn't matter, I have the SA220.

I use to have a AER, nice amp, but I think I prefer the natural sound of the Loudbox.
Old 01-22-2016, 04:12 PM

Genz Benz Shenandah 150 is what I use at church. Its a great amp and they can be had less than $400 on FleaBay.
Old 01-22-2016, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fongie View Post
I have recently purchase a Loudbox mini.........very happy!

I love the natural sound this little guy gives and 60 watts is more then covers a small room/café. And it is very light. Also I can use it as a monitor for my SA220.

On the downside, it hasn't got Phantom power and head phones but that doesn't matter, I have the SA220.

I use to have a AER, nice amp, but I think I prefer the natural sound of the Loudbox.
One downside to the mini is you can't use a condensor mic that needs phantom power with it unless you get a seperate power supply. A good condensor pointed at the 12th fret gives a great amplified acoustic sound.

Have you tried the Artist? I had the SA220. Amazing amp. Well thought out and fantastic sounding. The mini definately has the same transparency. The Artist is the love child of the two. It has the mini's ease of transport and the connectivity and control options of the SA220. In addition it has a larger effects selection with better sounding and more controlable reverb, and enough power to fill a large room. It's the perfect blend of the two IMHO. Especially for anyone that wants to play out with it at some point or use a condensor mic.
Old 01-22-2016, 08:19 PM

Fishman Loudbox Mini.
Old 01-22-2016, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tadol View Post
It may fall in the "break the bank" category, but I am completely satisfied with my Schertler Jam 150 - It wasn't cheap, but it would have been cheaper if I hadn't bought and then sold a couple of other amps trying to find a really good less expensive alternative. It has three channels, sounds fantastic with acoustic guitar and mics, and looks good enough to be left in the living room -
Much wisdom in those words.
Old 01-23-2016, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tadol View Post
It may fall in the "break the bank" category, but I am completely satisfied with my Schertler Jam 150 - It wasn't cheap, but it would have been cheaper if I hadn't bought and then sold a couple of other amps trying to find a really good less expensive alternative. It has three channels, sounds fantastic with acoustic guitar and mics, and looks good enough to be left in the living room -
That's a beautiful amp. If I were going to take it anywhere I would figure out how get one of these for it.

http://www.thomann.de/gb/thon_case_s...er_jam_150.htm

or one of these

https://www.musicstore.de/en_BA/EUR/...GIT0028991-000
Old 01-23-2016, 12:56 PM
Charter Member

Got the bag - does make carrying it easier, just wish it had exterior pockets for cables, ext cord, etc. Like the crate, but definitely overkill for my needs -
Old 01-23-2016, 03:32 PM

I first purchased a Loudbox Mini. Everyone is right about the guitar sound. It does sound really great. I just really didn't like the vocals. Maybe it's me and I can't sing well, but I just didn't care for my voice coming through it.

Some other options in a similar price range are more toward powered speakers.
- Powerwerks PW 150fx - Usually about $299 (decent effects and EQ)
- TC Helicon Voicesolo FX150 - usually around $225 (great vocal, effects, EQ)
Both are good alternatives. If I had to pick just one with no preamp or effects on vocal or guitar prior to the speaker/amp, I would go with the Voicesolo fx150.
This is because I need more help on vocals. However as many people mentioned, I don't think you could go wrong with the Loudbox Mini. If you got 50 replies to this post, more than 30 would suggest the Loudbox mini.
Old 01-27-2016, 04:44 PM

Default Gear set up $3oo ish

I'd suggest a budget mini mixer and a full range single (low priced/used maybe even two) powered speaker...always comes in handy and u may have the cabling needs covered already. Buy something with multiple uses = good investment for future applications.
Old 01-27-2016, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diggs5011 View Post
I'd suggest a budget mini mixer and a full range single (low priced/used maybe even two) powered speaker...always comes in handy and u may have the cabling needs covered already. Buy something with multiple uses = good investment for future applications.
I love this advice. Most likely will go this route with a Carvin powered PA speaker and a TC Helicon Play Acoustic for a versatile, yet not break the bank, starter system.
Carvin PM10A
Fender Mustang I

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification