The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 01-14-2016, 09:17 AM

Have any of you plugged this into a pa system
Yet...does it sound as good as unplugged
I will be running it through a preamp.
Old 02-09-2016, 06:48 PM

Anyone receive any of the second batch feb march time frame?
Old 02-09-2016, 09:44 PM
Charter Member

Hello all,
I emailed Tonewoodamp Support and received an email today that the second batch would start shipping at the end of this month. Helene (Tonewoodamp) said that for those of us that ordered in the second round, she would send an update before shipping as well as a tracking code once it ships!

Ed
Old 02-09-2016, 09:58 PM

excellent thanks for sharing
Old 02-09-2016, 10:11 PM
Charter Member

You're very welcome!
Old 09-03-2016, 03:29 PM
Charter Member

Default Got one?

Refreshing this to get any others' feedback on the unit.
Old 09-04-2016, 08:31 AM

I have had a Tonewood for awhile. Got the first batch. It's great once it's dialed in. Makes playing alone, unplugged a real joy. Has a couple of what I consider useless effects. Autowah and a distortion patch. The verbs and echo are super fine. Good bang for the bucks!

1920's Mayflower OM
1929 National Tricone Style 2 Round neck
1996 Gibson Hummingbird
1939 Martin 018
1930's Martin Style O soprano uke
2007 Kamaka Tenor Uke
1970 Martin OO21
1923 Gibson tenor Banjo
Old 09-04-2016, 08:57 AM

Jjjjjeeeeeezzzz they are $239 now... I'll stick with an amp for that price..
Old 09-06-2016, 06:23 AM
Charter Member

I've had mine for about a month now...........It works well as a standalone DI and after figuring out how to use all the settings, it has real flexibility when it comes to enhancing a sound on the guitar........

Surprisingly enough, I prefer using less and less effects. I am using the 3Plate and 4 delay the most, but finding it necessary to tweek all the controls.....plugged into my Bose L1compact it sounds very natural.

I love the portability of the device and look forward to future software updates. Wished it had an ac option. I've gone through 3 sets of double A's already.

I find the DI blend very sensitive allowing precise control of output....a nice feature.

I recommend the product. (I did pay the higher price).
Eastman Romeo SC
Eastman E20D
Eastman E16SS
1966 B25 Gibson
Yamaha LL16-12
RO-26 Recording King

Electric...
1965 Custom Built (Italian)335
Old 09-06-2016, 08:06 AM

I like effects but prefer an analogue sound over the digital pairings that dominate the market these days. I think this product does a great job at using your own soundbox as a mixing bowl if you wish, thus physically providing that analogue sound I prefer. The reverb I'm hearing in the videos alone might be worth the price of admission, I shall see since I have one on order.

I'm not worried too worried about increased amplification of guitars as they sit on your lap. Every video I've watched it appears to at the very least add fullness to the tones while keeping everything relatively natural. Remember to that there is a line out to go into a dry amp or PA, or as I plan to use one, into quality DI that converts the 1/4" output to XLR and gives me more flexibility for final EQ tweaks.

I'll post a review once I've run it through its paces. And, for any that have had doubts about the units PA capabilities, check this video out

Old 10-10-2016, 03:42 AM

dang i just sold mine sorry...have to say for me anyway it was kind of like buying a juicer or a george forman grill...I used it for a while then was just
bored with it..sold it to fund something else.They are as advertised i must say..
nothing wrong with it ...just didn't hold my interest.ymmv.
Old 10-11-2016, 06:56 AM

That's my biggest concern that after 2-3 months of WOW, it becomes a $300 dust collector
2011 Godin Jazz model archtop
Old 11-25-2016, 06:45 PM
Anticipation Junkie

I've never seen nor heard the Tonewood Amp before today and I gotta say that after watching some videos, it's pretty impressive.

Questions:
- Does anyone know how much the inside bracket weighs alone, and the entire unit? I tried to find out at the TWA website, but could not.
- When playing seated, the guitar is usually on an angle such that such a device mounted on the back wouldn't be noticed. However, if playing while standing, does anyone have any experience with it and if so, can the controls become inadvertently changed, and is it annoying to feel the bulk of it against you?

An idea:
It's got me wondering if there is or could be a similarly functioning effects vocal mic device with an adjustable gooseneck to allow for perfect singer positioning (either with own controls or incorporated into the TWA control box if TWA chose to develop) that could be attached to the upper bout close to the neck to also take advantage of the volume/projection of the guitar body/box/soundhole. If it doesn't yet exist, is it doable? Thoughts?

Last edited by Acousticado; 11-25-2016 at 08:51 PM.
Old 11-26-2016, 07:25 AM

I have been playing with the TWamp for a year now and have had no issues with weight or accidental movement of the unit while playing. There has never been a change in program during a song. I would think that the recessed location of the program button would render that motion nearly impossible.

One thing that I have noticed, when standing, is the balance of the guitar is changed slightly to cause the neck to rise a bit. For me it is a positive, since I have a tendency to allow the neck to lower while playing.

It also takes a little patience, to play with the settings, to obtain the sound you are looking for. As a TWampie I keep hoping for a ToneWood Amp forum to sprout up. This would allow for exchange of information between users and maximize the experience.

Henk
Old 11-26-2016, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldjock View Post

It also takes a little patience, to play with the settings, to obtain the sound you are looking for. As a TWampie I keep hoping for a ToneWood Amp forum to sprout up. This would allow for exchange of information between users and maximize the experience.

Henk
I agree Henk. A pool of user information would be invaluable. Many acoustic purists don't like effects in their signal chain, but those that do (like myself) are used to the stompbox style effects. There is a learning curve for sure. Maybe threads like this is all that is necessary?

TWA is gaining headway and I hope we haven't seen the end of this kind of tech from them. Overall I'm pretty happy with mine, if there were any improvements I could suggest it would be to have some kind of on-the-fly switching mechanism for changing programs quickly when playing live; wet/dry, stacked presets, maybe via the micro usb port? Great product!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification