The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 04-27-2015, 09:05 AM

Default Such a thing as the "Perfect" pickup system for a HD28V ?

Good morning

Just paid for my new Martin HD28V off of Ebay and now looking at electronics. Wondering if there might be any consensus as to the best pickup system for this paticular guitar? Or perhaps I'm overthinking it? I know I want something with a tone control but not really committed beyond that. Just though there might be a system better suited for the Martin based on bracing or whatever......
Old 04-27-2015, 09:11 AM

I'd put K&K's in it and run them through a Red Eye preamp.

The Red Eye has a treble control and a boost/volume control.

Your PA board ought to have lots of tone controls - having lots of tone controls on the preamp seems redundant to me.

I use the XLR output on the Red Eye and plug the cannon plug right into a channel on the board.

However, if you want to use 1/4" guitar plugs you can can also do that - doesn't sound as good though.

Seagull CW w/Baggs M1 pickup...National Vintage Steel Tricone...SWR California Blonde Amp
Old 04-27-2015, 09:31 AM

K&K all day. Nice and simple and unobtrusive. I've got one in my HD 28 V. and can recommend it.
As m'learned friend above says, you then have a choice of pre-amps/fx etc. without having all that battery powered junk inside your lovely guitar.
Old 04-27-2015, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Long Jon View Post
K&K all day. Nice and simple and unobtrusive. I've got one in my HD 28 V. and can recommend it.
As m'learned friend above says, you then have a choice of pre-amps/fx etc. without having all that battery powered junk inside your lovely guitar.
There ya go.

Seagull CW w/Baggs M1 pickup...National Vintage Steel Tricone...SWR California Blonde Amp
Old 04-27-2015, 09:51 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomm Williams View Post
…Wondering if there might be any consensus as to the best pickup system for this paticular guitar?
Hi Tomm…
A better question might be "Does a perfect pickup system exist?"

Consensus - not likely.
There are just too many individualized situations, too many amps and PA, so all pickup systems are going to be a compromise over raw acoustic sound. I mean, if you are in a rock band your needs will be different than playing backing rhythm in a bluegrass band, or solo fingerstyle in concert situations (or coffee houses).

What I've decided to live with…
I'm loving my dual source K&K (Pure mini plus internal mic with outboard blender). It's the best system I've used, and the best in the house everywhere I play. It's feedback resistant, flexible, and adaptable.

If you are going to limit yourself to a single source system, then your choices may leave you wishing or wanting more, so adding a second source which is different from the first becomes a thing which is best planned for at the install stage of the first pickup.

I liked my Baggs dual source, (LB-6, internal mic, internal preamp) but not all the baggage that went with it (6 ounces of gear hanging inside the guitar plus a battery inside there). It sounded great live, but interfered with the acoustic sound of the guitar.

The soundboard transducer, (in my case a K&K Pure mini) combined with an internal mic, and run through an external preamp means I can upgrade preamps (and have three times), use better components, and have only 2 ounces of stuff inside the guitar.

Hope you find the pickup system that makes you happy with your guitar and sound…

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 04-27-2015, 10:16 AM

Default Best pickup

A thin film ribbon mike,mbut it's hard to fit one of those in a guitar............
Old 04-27-2015, 10:48 AM

Another high recommendation for K&K here. I have K&K in each of my guitars and Irish bouzouki and use mine with K&K external preamps that have Bass, Mid, Treble & Vol control, but there are many others that work well. Even though the systems my band plays through (our personal system and FOH systems) have plenty of individual channel tone control, I still find the preamp's tone/vol control very useful when on stage and the K&K pickup the most natural sounding and least invasive.

Good luck and I hope you find a pickup that best fits your personal taste and needs.

DC
2010 Trinity College TM375 Irish Bouzouki
2011 Guild F-130R (recently traded for GS Mini hog)
Old 04-27-2015, 10:58 AM

I like my acoustic guitar to SOUND like an acoustic guitar. K&K works for me...hassle-free, no batteries. I don't play out much, but I've always been happy with it. (Had 'em in 3 guitars...)
Old 04-27-2015, 11:32 AM

Thanks for all the replys but as I read them, I feel some additional info would help. Not that it probably matter but I play through a Genz Benz Shenanadoah 100. In our acoustic group (I also play in a rock act)We try to keep it simple and quick so I would rather not be forced to reach for my board to make any EQ or gain adjustments.

Now for what might be the hurdle..............I switch guitars a lot, and I mean A lot. I use a Tak Pro series-1 12 string with onboard PU, a 76 Tak f363s (odd tunings)with a LR Baggs I-Beam, a Fender 50CE resonator and now I'll be adding the Martin where a 78 Tak f375s was used. So having everything built into the guitar seems rather convenient.

I do understand the advantage of the external preamp units but I'm wondering if that will cause too much delay in switching to the Martin as it's one more thing to plug in ????

Help...........................
Old 04-27-2015, 12:05 PM

Sounds like an Anthem might be a good fit with the onboard preamp and sound hole controls.
Old 04-27-2015, 01:16 PM
Charter Member

Look into one of the Trance Audio Amulet systems. They're easy to install and remove and sound great:

A) Amulet M-VT Dual Mono System: Includes the Amulet M basic system, 2 Acoustic Lens transducers, plus a Soundhole-mounted Volume/Tone Control and low battery LED indicator ($319)
http://www.tranceaudio.com/amuletm.html

or

B) Amulet Stereo System: The complete stereo package - includes 2 Acoustic Lens transducers, stereo internal preamp, endpin jack, external controller module, cable & power supply($549)
http://www.tranceaudio.com/amulet.html

Regards,

SpruceTop

Trance Audio Amulet M Dual Mono:

Trance Audio Amulet Stereo:
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2
Old 04-27-2015, 01:21 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by akafloyd View Post
Sounds like an Anthem might be a good fit with the onboard preamp and sound hole controls.
It would be a chore to install the Element UST portion of the Anthem system under the Drop-in Long saddle of the Martin HD-28V.

Regards,

SpruceTop
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2

Last edited by SpruceTop; 04-27-2015 at 01:27 PM.
Old 04-27-2015, 09:33 PM

Yea, the saddle is going to limit you. You can't do a UST without busting out the saddle and routing a new one. Few people want to do that to such a nice guitar.

With that said, if your band is a rock and/or gets loud, pickups like the K&K, while they sound good, might not be the best option. They get pretty sensitive and don't do well at high volumes and having to push over drums and amps. Still might be your best option, though.

There are some good soundhole pickups out right now, too. I'm not as familiar with those as they're not my cup of tea. But I think the LR Baggs M80 is a good one? Anyone have experience with these?

I'm in a similar boat as you - I have a D-18 Authentic on the way and thinking about pickups. I really like the Fishman Matrix but have decided that busting out the saddle on a new $5000 guitar is pretty dumb
Old 04-27-2015, 09:45 PM

All of my acoustics have K&K Pure Mini pups. I love 'em!
Old 04-27-2015, 10:50 PM

I think I've found an answer. Due to the comments about K&K, I ordered one of their Trinity mini-pro systems with external pre. My Genz Benz has two channels. I can dedicate one to the Martin and the other guitars to the other. That way I can simply leave the entire rig pugged in and just turn it down when its on a stand. I may end up pulling the LR Baggs I-Beam out of my alt-tuned Tak and put another K&K in there so the Pre can be used with both.

I want this Martin to sound great so I'll figure out a way to make this "dance" work out.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification