The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-21-2018, 12:01 PM

Default All Solid Mahogany Guild vs Alvarez

For the price difference, it doesn’t matter. I have a vintage Guild D-25 and the Alvarez ABT-60 Baritone which for the price is impressive. So I don’t have a dog in this race. But if I was to buy one of these, what breaks the tie? Appearance, Tie. Finish, Alvarez. Case, Alvarez. How they do the pick up, Guild. Need some thoughts. Thanks

https://www.americanmusical.com/Item...DA66CESHB-LIST

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...QaAoBcEALw_wcB
Old 02-21-2018, 12:22 PM
Charter Member

Some other differences that might matter to you:
  • The Guild is all solid wood while the Alvarez has laminated B/S.
  • The Guild has a 16" fretboard radius, the Alvarez has a 12" fretboard radius.
  • I actually think the Baggs StagePro is one of the best factory pickup/preamps (though I understand your dislike of the barn door look).
Both are nice guitars, but I'd choose the Alvarez for sure. The build quality and fit and finish on the Alvarez Artist Series guitars is exceptional.

(BTW, your link to the Alvarez was not working, so, here's another.)

If you decide to get one, let us know which you choose!

2017 Alvarez Yairi OY70CE - Sugaree
c.1966 Regal Sovereign R235 Jumbo - Old Dollar
2009 Martin 000-15 - Brown Bella
1977 Gibson MK-35 - Apollo
2004 Fender American Stratocaster - The Blue Max
2017 Fender Custom American Telecaster - Brown Sugar
Think Hippie Thoughts...
Old 02-21-2018, 12:32 PM

This is the Alvarez Masterbuilt Series with the All Solid Back and Sides. Other then the barn door controls its pretty attractive. Wider nut too which is good. I want it for Drop C tuning. I figured it I went Guild, I could replace electronics as I go.
Old 02-21-2018, 01:13 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by StewRacing View Post
This is the Alvarez Masterbuilt Series with the All Solid Back and Sides. Other then the barn door controls its pretty attractive. Wider nut too which is good. I want it for Drop C tuning. I figured it I went Guild, I could replace electronics as I go.
Since I'd take the Alvarez Artist Series over the Guild, I'd most definitely take the Alvarez Masterworks version! Add to the difference list the added Masterworks bling: abalone purfling and wood (Acacia) binding

The StagePro is pretty low profile. Also, its EQ, phase and notch work really well. It has the best on-board preamp I've encountered with factory electronics.

Think Hippie Thoughts...
Old 02-21-2018, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed-in-Ohio View Post
Since I'd take the Alvarez Artist Series over the Guild, I'd most definitely take the Alvarez Masterworks version! Add to the difference list the added Masterworks bling: abalone purfling and wood (Acacia) binding

The StagePro is pretty low profile. Also, its EQ, phase and notch work really well. It has the best on-board preamp I've encountered with factory electronics.
How do you like your AJ80 Jumbo? I considered that as well. I have the Baritone Jumbo which sounds superb. I also play a Larrivee Jumbo JV-03. Love Jumbo's.
Old 02-21-2018, 01:49 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
How do you like your AJ80 Jumbo? ...snip... Love Jumbo's.
Love it! It is stunningly good. I probably would have still chosen it at the end of my search for a jumbo had it cost twice what it costs. It's remarkable that a guitar this good is available at this price. It is a great time to be an acoustic guitar player!

Think Hippie Thoughts...

Last edited by Ed-in-Ohio; 02-21-2018 at 02:02 PM.
Old 02-21-2018, 01:57 PM

I can't speak to the specific models exactly, but I can say this:

I've had multiple Washburns. Only 1 was a keeper (no longer made, a Warren Haynes model with solid top, lam back and sides).

I've had multiple Alvarez guitars. All are still in my possession. I have the non-cutaway/acoustic only version of that dread. It's VERY nice, and I haven't found anything that compares for the price.

I also have the parlor and the folk size in that same series. Both came with passive electronics (which weren't even listed in the description, so were basically a freebie). All sound and play great.

So although I can't comment on the specific guitars you mention, I can say that in my experience, the Alvarez Masterworks series is superior to the Washburn stuff.
Old 02-22-2018, 08:33 AM

I think I like the Guild's because that was my first guitar my father handed down to me. Modern experience tells me you can't go wrong with Alvarez. They really found the right Chinese builder for the right price.
Old 02-23-2018, 07:31 AM

To each his own. I have 2 guitars with mahogany tops, and would not consider keeping either if I had to prune down to one guitar. For me I go with the spruce top. However I have never played a baritone guitar. I have a lot of respect for Alvarez. When people ask about affordable guitars, I usually say "Yamaha" or "Alvarez".
Guild GAD25
Yamaha FG413S / FG200 / FG800
Old 02-23-2018, 08:28 AM

Between the two I would most likely go with the Alvarez.

This would be based on that I tried the Guild in question and didn't like it. The reasons were, the neck carve felt extremely shallow to me and I hate battery bags that use Velcro to stay in place in the lower bout.. makes battery changes a real chore.

Does it need a cutaway? There is another option in the middle, price wise, but it doesn't have a cutaway. The Martin DRS1. It is all solid , has the same 1.75" nut width and has the same pick up as the Guild with the sound hole controls, but has the battery access on the outside of the lower bout for ease of change. Comes with a HSC as well. Looks like they have 4 to choose from.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/DRS1

Just thought I would throw that out there.

If it needs a cutaway, then live with the barn door and get the Alvarez. It is the better than the Guild IMO.

"Those who wish to appear wise among fools, among the wise seem foolish."
Quintilian
Old 02-23-2018, 08:44 AM

Quote:
...So I don’t have a dog in this race. But if I was to buy one of these, what breaks the tie? Appearance, Tie. ..
First you're asking the question with the thought of buying so I say you do have a dog (or Benjamin's) in this race. The only question that would matter to me is which one sounds best? Then, does the price for that guitar meet your price/value paradigm?
Old 02-23-2018, 01:44 PM

I have liked every modern Alvarez I have played (modern = past 3-4 years).

I have been underwhelmed by the Chinese Guilds. They seem overbuilt and under-responsive.

Note I play with bare fingers, so a flatpicker may have a different impression.
Rainsong SFTA-FLE; WS3000; CH-PA
Taylor GA3-12, Guild F-212

https://markhorning.bandcamp.com/music

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion