The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 06-06-2014, 07:13 AM

Default Using a Zoom H4n with an audio interface

Hi all,

Essentially, I want to plug a Zoom H4n into my audio interface (Focusrite Scarlett 2i2) and use it as a second microphone alongside my pickup system in my guitar via DI.

Problem is the H4n only has two female XLR ports, so I can't connect a normal XLR cable in as I would need two male ends to connect to both the H4n and my interface.

I have found adapters which would give me two male ends or even a jack, but I'm curious to whether it would even work.

Any advice?
Old 06-06-2014, 07:45 AM
Charter Member

I have an H4, not the H4n, but I believe my comments will still be valid.

The XLR connectors are inputs to your H4n. You do not want to connect this H4n input to your Scarlett input. In order to use the mic(s) in your H4n you will want to connect the H4n line output to the Scarlett line input.

I can't give you a lot more detail, as my Scarlett is the 6i6, but I would imagine the 2i2 has a line input.

2012 Carruth 12-fret 000 in Pernambuco and Adi
2010 Poling Sierra in Cuban Mahogany and Lutz
2015 Posch 13-fret 00 in Indian Rosewood and Adi
Old 06-06-2014, 08:00 AM

Thanks for the swift reply, ChuckS.

Is the line output the small jack port on the side with headphone symbol?
Also, I can plug jacks into my 2i2 XLR ports if that counts as a line input.

I guess I would just need an adapter for 1/4" jack to 3.5mm to fit into the H4n?
Old 06-06-2014, 08:25 AM
Charter Member

From what I see on the H4n, there is a common line/phone output jack, so that's what you want to use.

From what I see on the 2i2, you want to set the input to "line", not "instrument". You will want to use a 1/4" TRS or TS connector going into the 2i2 (not an XLR). By using the 1/4" connector into the 2i2 instead of an XLR connector, the 2i2 will know a line level signal is being input and not a microphone level signal.

Old 06-06-2014, 08:51 AM

Ok, that's really helpful. Thank you!
Old 06-06-2014, 08:56 AM

The Zoom H4n IS already a USB audio interface so you can record direct to DAW software on your computer. You can already plug your guitar into the H4n AND use the stereo mic to record 3 tracks to a DAW. Pardon me for asking but why on earth would you want to plug it into another audio interface?

Phil

I play Crosby, Emerald, Larrivée, Lowden, Rainsong & Tacoma guitars.
Check out my Guitar Website. See guitar photos & info at my Guitars page.
Old 06-06-2014, 09:00 AM

For what it's worth, the H4n has both XLR and TRS jacks which can be used. Those two ports on the bottom of the recorder are both able to accommodate either XLR or TRS.
2014 Doerr Legacy
2013 Bamburg FSC-
2002 Flammang 000 12 fret
2000 McCollum Grand Auditorium

Old 06-06-2014, 01:37 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by philjs View Post
The Zoom H4n IS already a USB audio interface so you can record direct to DAW software on your computer. You can already plug your guitar into the H4n AND use the stereo mic to record 3 tracks to a DAW. Pardon me for asking but why on earth would you want to plug it into another audio interface?

Phil
I agree with you in that the 2i2 would not have to be used. I'm not sure why the OP wants to use both the H4n and the 2i2.

By using both, he could setup the H4n for using the mics and attach it a stand. The 2i2 could be located close to allow easier reach to adjust levels and headphone volume. Also, the 2i2 may have lower noise preamps compared to the H4n which may or may not be noticed in the final recordings.

In either configuration I believe he will be limited to 2 channel recording if he's using a DAW. If he uses the H4n as an interface to his DAW I believe the H4n USB is limited to 2 channels (even though the H4n can have up to 4 inputs). If he uses the 2i2 as an interface to his DAW, the 2i2 has only 2 inputs and its USB output is limited to 2 channels (the 2 H4n mic channels will have to combined to mono when connected to a 2i2 input).

Last edited by ChuckS; 06-06-2014 at 01:58 PM.
Old 06-09-2014, 02:14 AM

I've tried various configurations but couldn't seem to get a viable recording setup with this. The H4n only lets me use the stereo mics or input 1 or input 2 at one time. So I can't have two signals simultaneously it seems.

I tried plugging a TRS cable into the line-out port of the H4n and then into my 2i2. It kind of worked, except I needed an adapter from 1/4" to 3.2mm (which I had) but the signal kept cutting out. Also it only seemed to work on the left channel, the right side had no sound. I tried using a stereo cable and a mono cable.

The reason I want to use the 2i2 and H4n is because I just want to use the H4n as a mic, which I can then plug into my 2i2 (along with my guitar in the other input) and then into my DAW. Then I will have two separate signals than I can blend/mix together for a stereo experience.

Any other ideas?
Old 06-09-2014, 06:21 AM

I've never used TWO usb interfaces simultaneously, but is it possible to run both the H4n and the 2i2 into the DAW via usb and route the inputs within the software?

I'm curious if this can be done, so hopefully someone will pop in that is familiar with the usb architecture and how it can (or can't) be used within a DAW.
Old 06-09-2014, 06:34 AM

That would be great too. Is there a way to select more than one audio input in a DAW? (Specifically Logic Pro 9 if possible).

Thing is, I ultimately want 3 separate channels which I can then pan for a stereo sound, so having them mixed down into one mono channel would be kind of pointless.
Old 06-09-2014, 07:47 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiberna View Post
I've tried various configurations but couldn't seem to get a viable recording setup with this. The H4n only lets me use the stereo mics or input 1 or input 2 at one time. So I can't have two signals simultaneously it seems.

I tried plugging a TRS cable into the line-out port of the H4n and then into my 2i2. It kind of worked, except I needed an adapter from 1/4" to 3.2mm (which I had) but the signal kept cutting out. Also it only seemed to work on the left channel, the right side had no sound. I tried using a stereo cable and a mono cable.

The reason I want to use the 2i2 and H4n is because I just want to use the H4n as a mic, which I can then plug into my 2i2 (along with my guitar in the other input) and then into my DAW. Then I will have two separate signals than I can blend/mix together for a stereo experience.

Any other ideas?
I believe the line out on your H4n is a stereo signal (so it should be configurable so that your 2 mic signals are sent to that connector. Since you are trying to connect it to a single input on your 2i2 you are going to have to get these 2 mic signals combined into one signal to input to your 2i2. I believe your H4n might have a feature to combine them into a mono output signal; if not you could combine them with a special cable/connector.

Your H4n TRS (tip, ring, sleeve) connector would have one mic signal going to tip, one mic signal going to ring, and the sleeve is the common for the signals. If you are going to combine them via a cable/connector, the tip and ring need to be connected together to which will give you a mono signal from the 2 mics.

On your 2i2, use of a TRS connector would be for a balanced line level input. The signal input would be between Tip and Ring. Use of a TS connector would be for an unbalanced line level input. The signal input would between Tip and Sleeve.

It's confusing, because the H4n TRS connector is used for 2 separate signals whereas the 2i2 TRS (or TS) connector is used for a single signal.

Sorry if I've made this confusing. It's difficult to explain since I don't have the same model Zoom or Scarlett that you have, and it's hard to put 'physical connections' into words.

Old 06-09-2014, 08:10 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiberna View Post
That would be great too. Is there a way to select more than one audio input in a DAW? (Specifically Logic Pro 9 if possible).

Thing is, I ultimately want 3 separate channels which I can then pan for a stereo sound, so having them mixed down into one mono channel would be kind of pointless.
I don't know how you are going to get 3 separate channels because the 2i2 USB only sends two. I thought you were going to use one of the 2i2 inputs from your guitar pickup and the other 2i2 input from the Zoom mics.

Old 06-09-2014, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckS View Post
I don't know how you are going to get 3 separate channels because the 2i2 USB only sends two. I thought you were going to use one of the 2i2 inputs from your guitar pickup and the other 2i2 input from the Zoom mics.
Oh right ok. I didn't know that. Well, two then! I thought the H4n mics could be recorded into two channels (left and right), so hoped to get 3 including the guitar pickup.
Old 12-06-2017, 05:09 PM

Default H4N line out to DAW

This is a very old thread but it was the most relevant thread to my question I could find. I'm also new to this forum.

Is there a way to run my H4N via line out into my DAW using only 1 track? I only want to use the attached stereo mic.

I can record to the SD card (and then put the single stereo file in my DAW (Reaper) on one track but that is a pain. The line out on the H4N is stereo and I am running a stereo cable to my Audient ID14 D.I. 1/4" input. When I route this to my DAW, Reaper wants two inputs to record in stereo. But I want to record the stereo input on only one track so I can use the second input on the ID14 for another mic.

Is there a way to record the stereo signal from the H4N to one track on a DAW?
Thanks!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD