The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 11-19-2016, 02:16 AM

Default Acoustic Fretless

So, quite some time ago I was fooling with my old acoustic guitar and on a whim decided to strip it of it's frets, fill with wood putty, sand smooth and clear coat/lacquer finish the neck for strength and protection. Not thinking this through 100%, I put a new set of Martin marquis strings on it only to find, to my disappointment, that the strings not wound (B and E) would not really reverberate well without frets. At the time I decided to then string it up as 1/3 bass and 2/3 standard guitar (the D and G from a bass and E, A, D, G to a std 6). An acoustic baritone fretless it remained for a long while. Finally, I decided to revisit this idea (working on some interesting patterns and intervals) so I picked up a nice set of Martin classicals (the specialty strings with the ball ends) and et voila! Now, I have to get used to playing it. Quite different than a fretless bass. Very unique and awesome sound though. Love when ideas/innovations come to fruition

The dreadnaught on the left is my Fender F65 (still working on getting confirmation that it's what the seller said it is...odd serial comparatively). Lovely guitar either way.
Must say though, the classical fretless is going to take some time to get used to. Also, gives me another idea for a great invention/innovation for a musical accessory...
I have an electric innovation too. We dubbed it the "Stringamajig" - pretty neat. Just need my custom bridge fabricated and it's essentially ready to go! Exciting stuff...
http://www.atomicana.com/music/else/stringamajig.html
~Skiye

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Tags
classical, fretless, handmade, innovation, unique